997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2007 TT Tiptronic or 6 speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=turbonator;2615280]If you're selfish & want the Porsche just for yourself.....get the manual. If you want to practice (or better yet, learn) heel and toe and rev matching on your way to work...get the manual. If you're a young whipper snapper who wants to learn the lost art of manual shifting & gear selection on a $125k+ car....get the manual. If you want the car so you can do drop clutch starts at every red light....get the manual. If you enjoy hitting the rev-limiter in first and second shift-positions in rapid accelerations (and getting beat by some old dude & his trophy wife in his AMG)....get the manual. If you don't have enough things to worry about, and want to add expensive mechanical overrevs to the equation...get the manual. And finally, if debate is your favorite sport...get a manual because your skills could come in handy when you explain to a dealer or potential buyer of your vehicle why the over-revs recorded in the DME don't matter

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, there are pros and cons to both sides. I myself don't care for the Tip, but the PDK is a whole different story.

You did good....same subject matter but with slightly different words. Great job. Except I have to disagree with "the PDK is a whole different story." No no no, they are very close to the same. One is clutch-frictionally driven, the other by oil; they both have shift-gears, and one has oily-clutches in addition, but both are still equally shifted by computer zip-required brain/hand/foot coordination. They drive the car, not you.

Incidently, snappy 1-2 shifts are learned early so when our turbos are floored, we with manuals "have never been beat by some old dude and his trophy wife in his AMG" We smoke 'em everytime to impress our trophy wife/girl friends. Women now-a-days can't really appreciate that expression which most likely dates back even earlier than when only manual shift-transmissions existed (pre-1949 hydramatics).

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
GEO 450 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the input, you guys are a hoot. Best advice I heard was to drive both. I am coming off a BMW M3 6 speed so I hear your love of rowing the gears, not much of a fan of the SMG in those cars. I am testing both on Friday and hopefully coming home with the winner. Thanks again

Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=johnww;2615517]
Originally Posted by turbonator
If you're selfish & want the Porsche just for yourself.....get the manual. If you want to practice (or better yet, learn) heel and toe and rev matching on your way to work...get the manual. If you're a young whipper snapper who wants to learn the lost art of manual shifting & gear selection on a $125k+ car....get the manual. If you want the car so you can do drop clutch starts at every red light....get the manual. If you enjoy hitting the rev-limiter in first and second shift-positions in rapid accelerations (and getting beat by some old dude & his trophy wife in his AMG)....get the manual. If you don't have enough things to worry about, and want to add expensive mechanical overrevs to the equation...get the manual. And finally, if debate is your favorite sport...get a manual because your skills could come in handy when you explain to a dealer or potential buyer of your vehicle why the over-revs recorded in the DME don't matter

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, there are pros and cons to both sides. I myself don't care for the Tip, but the PDK is a whole different story.

You did good....same subject matter but with slightly different words. Great job. Except I have to disagree with "the PDK is a whole different story." No no no, they are very close to the same. One is clutch-frictionally driven, the other by oil; they both have shift-gears, and one has oily-clutches in addition, but both are still equally shifted by computer zip-required brain/hand/foot coordination. They drive the car, not you.

Incidently, snappy 1-2 shifts are learned early so when our turbos are floored, we with manuals "have never been beat by some old dude and his trophy wife in his AMG" We smoke 'em everytime to impress our trophy wife/girl friends. Women now-a-days can't really appreciate that expression which most likely dates back even earlier than when only manual shift-transmissions existed (pre-1949 hydramatics).
well said.....

Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
kwb
kwb is infamous around these parts
What "expensive over-revs" are you guys referring to? The ECM does not allow the engine to rev beyond a safe RPM (which is well below what these engines are capable of reving to).

Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Originally Posted by kwb
What "expensive over-revs" are you guys referring to? The ECM does not allow the engine to rev beyond a safe RPM (which is well below what these engines are capable of reving to).
The ECM can do nothing about grabbing the wrong gear on a downshift, you will over rev.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Type 1 and Type 2 over-revs are very common and are usually not detrimental. This is some kind of fantasy that developers of the ECU came up with.

I have owned 2 6 speed 997TTs and 1 Tip 997 TT. Get the Tip, because the car is really so heavy and soft that it is not useful at the track in stock form. The Tip is much faster off the line in normal driving, which makes it more fun.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I've had both types and like the manual better. However, I have not experienced PDK yet - which may change my mind.