997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2007 TT Tiptronic or 6 speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
GEO 450 is infamous around these parts
2007 TT Tiptronic or 6 speed

Searched but no luck, probably user error. Pros and Cons of going with a Tiptronic or 6 speed for a 2007 TT

Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
personal preference

Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Try to search again as there are a TON of threads on this "hotly debated" subject! Get what suits you most.....drive both and make your OWN decision, you will be the one living with it. Good luck on your decision, either way you win!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
3 pedals!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 AM
TXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura about
Personal preference, really.

I hadn't driven a manual in 10 years prior to buying my car a couple of weeks ago. I made it a point to brush up my manual skills and pursue a manual as I feel it makes you feel more connected to the car and the road.

That being said, the Tip w/ Sports Chrono package is actually "faster" off the line. Something about the turbos not being able to spool up fully on a launch on the manual. So if you're looking for a point and shoot or don't like manual, the Tip is not a bad choice. The only thing I would caution on that is that the PDK dual clutch is being released for the '10 model which may affect the resale value of a Tip. From what I understand, the 6 speed tranny will be carried over pretty unchanged between the 997.1 and 997.2.

Regardless of which one you buy, you will be thrilled. They are both amazing cars. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
I've had both, go for the manual.
The only time I miss the tip is a stoplight dig.
I don't miss the tip hanging around the 2500 RPM range where the engine is least sonorous.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by GEO 450
Searched but no luck, probably user error. Pros and Cons of going with a Tiptronic or 6 speed for a 2007 TT
If you want the Porsche as a family car, something the wife and teen-daughters/sons can drive.....get the tip. If you want the vehicle just for transportation back and forth from work....get the tip. If you're up in the years and don't want to be bothered with shifting....get the tip. If you want the car so you can spontaneously start off at lights without any thoughts or hand to brain coordination....get the tip. If you do not want to worry about hitting the rev-limiter in first and second shift-positions in rapid accelerations....get the tip. If you do not want to worry about expensive mechanical overrevs...get the tip. However, if you want sheer driving pleasure, fun and excitment, which requires you to stay alert to gear changes in your everyday driving experience and if you want to be in absolute control of the car, not the transmission....get the manual. I have been through automatics and manuals in several previous cars, and with the Porsche, it seems a terrible mistake to not go manual. If you want an automatic, maybe a Mercedes, BMW, the new Porsche 4-door or some car like one of these is the best car to get.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Soooo John...you are saying get the tip!!

Hysterical.

I can't imagine getting one of these in an automatic but people do it all the time.

The new 458 Ferrari only comes in an automatic.

I guess we rowers are a dying breed!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by raclaims
Soooo John...you are saying get the tip!!

Hysterical.

I can't imagine getting one of these in an automatic but people do it all the time.

The new 458 Ferrari only comes in an automatic.

I guess we rowers are a dying breed!
You got it right. The Ferrari is a good example of older, high salaried drivers and Ferrari makes a bundle more on the complex hydralic self-shifter trans with no fear of mechical overrevs. whoopie.
Another feature I forgot to mention, BMW has done a study with these one-footer transmissions, and if the left foot is used to brake the car, the stopping distance is shorter by a few feet/seconds. Another whoopie. They never mention the problem some of these left-foot brakers have in hitting the accelerator and brake petals at the same time not realizing that left/right foot-error is potentially there in any panic-driven braking/accelerating situation. I guess if you learn the left-foot brake system from ground-zero, it may be the best braking system.

Hell we have automatic windows, antilock brakes, automatic hydralic transmissions, etc., why not give the engineers some work and devise an automatic hydralic manual shifting transmission as well.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
johnww, sorry couldn't pm back not enough post. The fabspeed ver. 3 exhaust is loud but not overly loud, imo. I don't have headers either, sound clip on vividracing is dead on, it does sound good!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
people are rip-i-n-g 3 pedals, but as long as there are 3 pedals i will be drive a 6speed...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
In my opinion it comes down to 2 factors: where you live, and personal preference. I will always be a die-hard 6 speeder....I just love those nice aggressive 2-3-4-5-6 sprints where I feel like a real driver rowing through the gears! But (with a capital B)...living in Southern Florida where your longest sprint may be 2 gears in between traffic lights...I'm starting to crave the simplicity and ease of an automatic! Or maybe I'm just getting old..lol. We recently did an EVT750 built on a tiptronic 997 Turbo...and I have to say, after driving that car all I could think was "who needs a manual??"

Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
tom, my thoughts exactly!!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Do a spirited drive with the manual first for approx 20 mins or so. Then drive the Tip in the same fashion. You will know then.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
If you want the Porsche as a family car, something the wife and teen-daughters/sons can drive.....get the tip. If you want the vehicle just for transportation back and forth from work....get the tip. If you're up in the years and don't want to be bothered with shifting....get the tip. If you want the car so you can spontaneously start off at lights without any thoughts or hand to brain coordination....get the tip. If you do not want to worry about hitting the rev-limiter in first and second shift-positions in rapid accelerations....get the tip. If you do not want to worry about expensive mechanical overrevs...get the tip. However, if you want sheer driving pleasure, fun and excitment, which requires you to stay alert to gear changes in your everyday driving experience and if you want to be in absolute control of the car, not the transmission....get the manual. I have been through automatics and manuals in several previous cars, and with the Porsche, it seems a terrible mistake to not go manual. If you want an automatic, maybe a Mercedes, BMW, the new Porsche 4-door or some car like one of these is the best car to get.
If you're selfish & want the Porsche just for yourself.....get the manual. If you want to practice (or better yet, learn) heel and toe and rev matching on your way to work...get the manual. If you're a young whipper snapper who wants to learn the lost art of manual shifting & gear selection on a $125k+ car....get the manual. If you want the car so you can do drop clutch starts at every red light....get the manual. If you enjoy hitting the rev-limiter in first and second shift-positions in rapid accelerations (and getting beat by some old dude & his trophy wife in his AMG)....get the manual. If you don't have enough things to worry about, and want to add expensive mechanical overrevs to the equation...get the manual. And finally, if debate is your favorite sport...get a manual because your skills could come in handy when you explain to a dealer or potential buyer of your vehicle why the over-revs recorded in the DME don't matter.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, there are pros and cons to both sides. I myself don't care for the Tip, but the PDK is a whole different story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 TT Tiptronic or 6 speed