997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

blow out/no spare bad situation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
This no spare crap is bad. I guess donut spares are available ($700) but I'm told no room in trunk if CD player there. A donut spare would at least get you to a motel or home for the weekend, holiday or whatever. What a bad-waste of time in a person's life. Probably a best idea when changing tires to keep a front and rear tire in storage for emergencies.
Sorry to hear what happened. If you are serious about adding a spare, I would suggest looking into that thread on rennlist that TT Surgeon mentioned. I am not 100% sure since I stopped following the thread, but here's what I remember:

1. Spare from 996 car does fit in the front trunk, even with CD changer. Someone posted about this (poster has red Turbo, from Dubai??).

2. Above spare does NOT fit if you have PCCB. This is why I stopped following the thread.

3. Keep in mind that center differential does NOT like different sizes of tires in front or rear. So if you are going to use a spare, there is a risk with damaging the center differential, I believe.
This may be another reason why a spare is not provided.

Just my opinion here: I think it's dangerous to have a loose heavy object inside a car, so if you go that route, make sure it's completely tied down (I don't know how this can be done with a spare wheel.). I once took car of a patient, slightly different car -- a truck, but a loose tire came flying forwards during a head-on collision and could have decapitated her.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Question

I just had a leak in my GT2 couple weeks ago, not a blowout thank god, but I tried the sealer to no avail. What really pissed me off was not having to get it flatbedded (scary w/ a driver w/o enough blocks/knowledge) but to find out that the sealer destroys the TPMS, which has to be replaced and is NOT covered by the wheel/tire warranty I purchased through the dealer. Needless to say, it's the last time I'm using that sealer crap. So what are these plugs that people are talking about?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
I had a similar experience just a few weeks ago. I was leaving town for a wedding. Well not even 15minutes into the trip I had a flat. The tpms went off and before I could get over from the inside lane to shoulder it went completely flat. It was a big pain cause I was on a time frame and couldn't just leave the car where it was. So ended up calling a friend who also was heading down to turn around, go by my house get one of my factory Wheels, a wrench, Jack and a block of wood to drive up on for the Jack. Took a total of a hour and half. Barely made the wedding. His car was big enough for my flat Wheel and tire to carry it with him.. just a big pain. Also mess the rim cause the shoulder was a lot lower. I have a plug kit with me now. Crazy is the is the first time I have ever had a blow out in over ten years of driving a sport car that doesn't have a spare.. does suck when it happens but. Thank goodness is not that often...

Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meaker
I had a similar experience just a few weeks ago. I was leaving town for a wedding. Well not even 15minutes into the trip I had a flat. The tpms went off and before I could get over from the inside lane to shoulder it went completely flat. It was a big pain cause I was on a time frame and couldn't just leave the car where it was. So ended up calling a friend who also was heading down to turn around, go by my house get one of my factory Wheels, a wrench, Jack and a block of wood to drive up on for the Jack. Took a total of a hour and half. Barely made the wedding. His car was big enough for my flat Wheel and tire to carry it with him.. just a big pain. Also mess the rim cause the shoulder was a lot lower. I have a plug kit with me now. Crazy is the is the first time I have ever had a blow out in over ten years of driving a sport car that doesn't have a spare.. does suck when it happens but. Thank goodness is not that often...
Which plug kit?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by my997turbo
Call 1-800-porsche if you have a blown tire.
Thanks for that Excellent advice

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
I assume the car would have to be up on a jack or lift to use this?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
Perhaps these are rare situations, but still no excuse for Porsche not to include a donut spare.
Rear tire blew 1/2" hole, glue useless. plugs useless. Car towed to local tire store..closed..after 5pm. Turbo has to be left there until Monday. Tire may come in by Wednesday, who knows until they open. Car rental places closed, tow truck furnished ride to motel.

This no spare crap is bad. I guess donut spares are available ($700) but I'm told no room in trunk if CD player there. A donut spare would at least get you to a motel or home for the weekend, holiday or whatever. What a bad-waste of time in a person's life. Probably a best idea when changing tires to keep a front and rear tire in storage for emergencies.

With an experience like this, really seems chancy to take these turbos too far from home. Maybe that is why you don't see many too far from towns.
On the Forums, haven't seen too many complaints lately, but I wonder how many instances like this are really occurring.
Sorry to hear about your experience. A similar incedent happened with my 997 last week and I didn't have a spare. Thankfully, my tire went flat in my garage and I was able to get the wheel/tire to a family friend who was able to repair it. My incedent got me thinking of all the close calls that I have had in the past with blowouts and flats. Considering now that I've sold my other wheels, I am definitely going to purchase a spare. Best of luck with your situation.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Swoody
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. In my 32 years of driving I have never had a flat (prolly just jinxed myself) and am thankful for that! My NSX had a spare up front and it sat on the floor in my garage! I am sure I would do the same with one if it existed in the turbo. Not sure if they make runflats in our sizes, could be an option for you. About your tire....did you hit something??? Blow outs are pretty rare in today's tires...

You could put your small finger in the hole. Went back to look for something in the road....found nothing. Sounded like a 38 just went off.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Pepboys has a 15$ version that is identical, I've used it at least 6 times on the c4s and tt. most of my situations occured with winter tires on, my current snows hav at least 1 plug per tire...no issues. I've even plugged track tires, but only in a jam.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Pepboys has a 15$ version that is identical, I've used it at least 6 times on the c4s and tt. most of my situations occured with winter tires on, my current snows hav at least 1 plug per tire...no issues. I've even plugged track tires, but only in a jam.
I've got to get one of these kits for my car, does it come with any instructions ?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dave(MA 02 C4S)
I've got to get one of these kits for my car, does it come with any instructions ?
All good responses. These plug kits (requires small airpump too) are fine for slow leaks, but back to unpluggable blowouts. I checked and donuts, as Cannga mentioned above, can cause damage to central diff.

So for blowouts: If close to home, just have a front/rear tire available so you can use the turbo while waiting for a new tire. For long trips, carry front tire behind seat or call Porsche stealers along the route to see if P2s in stock. And finally, long trip driving during the day has an advantage that dealers/tire places/rent a car offices are open whereas at night everything is closed which means a motel-wait until morning and longer if Holiday or weekend. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by johnww; 11-23-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Griot's makes a nice kit, always carry it in my car, I've even used it at the track.http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+repair+kit.do

Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AJag
I assume the car would have to be up on a jack or lift to use this?
It would be a lot easier off the car then on but if you can reach it and have enough leverage. It can be done on.. Your car should have the small air compressor to pump the tire up.. I'm thinking for trips on carrying a small jack and wrench so if you need to pull the wheel to get the plug in.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by meaker
It would be a lot easier off the car then on but if you can reach it and have enough leverage. It can be done on.. Your car should have the small air compressor to pump the tire up.. I'm thinking for trips on carrying a small jack and wrench so if you need to pull the wheel to get the plug in.
There is some black art to the plugs especially when all dressed up and going somewhere with the wife/girlfriend. I have thought about the jack and wrench, but on second thought, best to just let the road service fellow pull off the tire and plug it for you, then reinstall. Nice to have an airpump for slow leaks, however, that could get you to a station with a little extra air.