997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

blow out/no spare bad situation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
blow out/no spare bad situation

Perhaps these are rare situations, but still no excuse for Porsche not to include a donut spare.
Rear tire blew 1/2" hole, glue useless. plugs useless. Car towed to local tire store..closed..after 5pm. Turbo has to be left there until Monday. Tire may come in by Wednesday, who knows until they open. Car rental places closed, tow truck furnished ride to motel.

This no spare crap is bad. I guess donut spares are available ($700) but I'm told no room in trunk if CD player there. A donut spare would at least get you to a motel or home for the weekend, holiday or whatever. What a bad-waste of time in a person's life. Probably a best idea when changing tires to keep a front and rear tire in storage for emergencies.

With an experience like this, really seems chancy to take these turbos too far from home. Maybe that is why you don't see many too far from towns.
On the Forums, haven't seen too many complaints lately, but I wonder how many instances like this are really occurring.

Last edited by johnww; 11-22-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Stupid not to include a donut? No. Inconvenient as hell on those rare occasions? Heck yeah.
It's a sports car. Not a family minivan or 4 door boat sedan. Performance is the name of the game. And adding a 100 pound spare (or whatever it weighs) in the f-runk is not going to make that car any faster or handle better.

Heck, my M5 didn't have a spare either and it's a 4000 lbs sedan.

Sorry for your bad experience. But it's a trade off and a gamble. Performance vs. convenience.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
^^ Agreed. Porsche is not the only one that puts cars out there without a spare. I guess they could've used runflats or aka runcraps, but the handling will change.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
For many years all Porsches had a spare, the lack of a spare is a 997 thing. It is a huge PITA, that's why I carry a plug kit in the car and keep my stock wheels/tires in the garage.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
John sorry to hear about that, did pull trigger on exhaust yet?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Bonehead, u the same bonehead from M5 board, went on couple of runs with u to bear mt.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
For many years all Porsches had a spare, the lack of a spare is a 997 thing. It is a huge PITA, that's why I carry a plug kit in the car and keep my stock wheels/tires in the garage.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Agree with Doug...+1 plug kit.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
Bonehead, u the same bonehead from M5 board, went on couple of runs with u to bear mt.
One and the same. Sorry, who are you?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by bonehead
Stupid not to include a donut? No. Inconvenient as hell on those rare occasions? Heck yeah.
It's a sports car. Not a family minivan or 4 door boat sedan. Performance is the name of the game. And adding a 100 pound spare (or whatever it weighs) in the f-runk is not going to make that car any faster or handle better.

Heck, my M5 didn't have a spare either and it's a 4000 lbs sedan.

Sorry for your bad experience. But it's a trade off and a gamble. Performance vs. convenience.
Hey bonehead, nobody said the word stupid, you said that. There are plenty of collapsible wheels Porsche could offer if the buyer wants one. At least, that way there would be some space to store it, if he/she wants to take it with them on a trip.

I got lucky with this one, if the wife/kid would have been with me, the situation would have been exceedingly more embarrassing. That is, having to stay at this out of town motel for a couple days. Real crap. For my previous M5, the family car, I put in a space saving spare, but with that car there was plenty of room in the trunk for the spare when trips out of town were planned.

Such a strong comeback obviously suggests a lack of weekend/away from home flats; an attitude that will change quickly with upcoming blowouts

Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by johnww
Hey bonehead, nobody said the word stupid, you said that. There are plenty of collapsible wheels Porsche could offer if the buyer wants one. At least, that way there would be some space to store it, if he/she wants to take it with them on a trip.

I got lucky with this one, if the wife/kid would have been with me, the situation would have been exceedingly more embarrassing. That is, having to stay at this out of town motel for a couple days. Real crap. For my previous M5, the family car, I put in a space saving spare, but with that car there was plenty of room in the trunk for the spare when trips out of town were planned.

Such a strong comeback obviously suggests a lack of weekend/away from home flats; an attitude that will change quickly with upcoming blowouts
Easy there fella. I never said or implied that you said that. Those were my words, and mine alone. Again, I'm very sorry you had a horrible experience without a spare. My intent was not to minimize the experience or the potential horrible consequences. Will my tune change if/when I get a flat in the middle of nowhere? Probably. But for now, I'll stick with regular high performance tires without a spare.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Don't know how far from home you were, but AAA offers a premium service that will tow up to 200 miles. Maybe something to consider.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
Don't know how far from home you were, but AAA offers a premium service that will tow up to 200 miles. Maybe something to consider.
Have AAA, the Porsche and Easy Care road service plans so towing distance is not an issue. The issue is (on the highway at night) when towed to a closed tire place and then there is a 2-4 day wait for a P2 to be shipped.
I have heard it a good idea when making a long road trip, to call Porsche dealers along the route, to check if they even have any P2s is stock, some do, some don't. At least with a collapsible space saver tire, you could use your car to drive to the motel until car rental place/tire dealer open the next day. I just hate leaving my little gem at some tire store for the weekend. For those not liking a space saver spare, just leave it at home.
I guess my next trip to the keys, I best carry a front tire behind the front seat. Seems like such a bother with a +$130K porsche. At least this way, days won't be wasted waiting for a tire to get shipped in.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had to use the spare on my c4s on two occasions with blowouts, lifesaver. However, if i had a tpms I may have had advanced warning and placed a plug, who knows.
Cooches had a long thread on supplementing a c4s996 spare into a 997tt over on rennlist.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. In my 32 years of driving I have never had a flat (prolly just jinxed myself) and am thankful for that! My NSX had a spare up front and it sat on the floor in my garage! I am sure I would do the same with one if it existed in the turbo. Not sure if they make runflats in our sizes, could be an option for you. About your tire....did you hit something??? Blow outs are pretty rare in today's tires...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
where are you going to fit the stock rear (assuming that one goes) when you put the spare on and the car is full of kids / luggage?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: blow out/no spare bad situation