997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Turbo vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Granted, the Nissan ringer is fast.
I'll bet the Renault R26.R that beat your new Boxster S is a 'ringer too? You know the car you borrowed the grey/red GT3 RS colour scheme from (see link in post above)?

The one at Goodwood was a 'ringer too was it, and the one Top Gear used and Autozeitung and Auto Express? it doesn't look good when the only thing you have for the 911 GT3 is a 0.3s victory at Hockenheim conducted with an old '09 GTR by Sport Auto. That's kind of like an American car winning with Motor Trend or a Japanese car winning with Best Motoring.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm pretty sure there has been no top gear lap for the GT3 either.
You'd be wrong, 1:23.1.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
You mean Renault as in Renault the company with more Formula One constructors titles than any Porsche fan-boy could ever dream of. 2 titles chassis and engine, 6 titles as engine supplier to Williams? And 1 WRC title. France also being the most successful country wrt WRC. The RenaultSport R26.R being a FWD hatch that can rape a Boxster S (facelift).

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=49246feb57de5

Again for less than half the price. Seeing a theme yet?

Whoops that back-fired a bit didn't it?
Yup. That did back fire.. The same Renault F1 team that got busted for making it's driver crash into the wall? Didn't they get suspended for that? Hmmmm. I think that's called cheating is it not? And please, don't refer to me as a fan boy kiddo. Fan boys are people that rant and rave about a car as if they own one. In reality they can't afford one. I personally like the GTR and would love to put one my garage when the premiums come down a bit. And yes.. I can afford one.. I have driven a GTR and was quite impressd with it. It is a great performance value. I prefer my Porsche over it, but I still wouldn't mind having one. Like Vic55 said, they are both great cars. The part that disgusts me is the childish and immature comments coming from you. I will give it to you though. You are very good at googling info. You must have a lot of time on your hands between finals....

Old 12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !

Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
How can you make such statements? Unless the conditions change dramatically, like sand, rain or extreme hot or cold, the times don't deviate far. You can't ASSUME the conditions played a big part in this as it would have been mentioned by any detailed racer. And this was a professional and no such thing was mentioned.
I can say such statements because there are plenty of case histories showing this to be the case. Take a look at Sport Auto's test of the SRT-10 coupe: one year, it goes slower than another year, despite the addition of 100 hp. Both in dry conditions, with the same driver at the wheel.
Wait, how do you know for a fact that the temps were the same in the Australian test?
Take a look at this article on the this year's event:
"On a slippery track that's estimated to be 2 seconds slower than last year the car showed it has plenty of potential with lap times improving throughout the day."
http://www.yokohama.com.au/enews/lan...e-r32-r34.aspx

But you continue to completely ignore the A vs B test same day that is right in front of you.
Because there are no lap times reported. Put up those lap times, and then we'll talk.
Also, show me the proof that the R888 is even the equivalent of a MPSC or P Zero Corsa. You say that the R888's on racing wheels for the GT-R showed no improvement. Fine. There have been GT-R drivers with different wheels with RE55's and MPSC's that did show definite improvement.
Sport Auto have only ever taken the Focus RS around the 'Ring for one test. I'm not aware of any other, and it wouldn't make sense for two different test sessions anyway. Now, if you say the R-compound R888's are so much better than the stock Continentals (treadwear 280), but didn't show it due to conditions during the same test session, then how can you claim with any accuracy that conditions did not affect the Australian test done a year apart? This also says something about how much weather can affect times around the 'Ring even when the laps are done only minutes apart, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to accept that. The Australian time attack event isn't just the lone GT-R running on a completely clean track; from one year to the next, there will by varying degrees of fluid on the track, and varying degrees of dirt brought on track by cars that go off.

Even if it was exactly 3 seconds the GT-R is 1.4 seconds behind.
For all intents and purposes that's the same lap time????? Just when I thought you were starting to make some sense.
Wrong. These are the times.
Z06 - 2:58.2
GT-R (on 600's) - 2:55.6
+ 3.5s (for 7010's) = 2:59.1

If you add 3 seconds to the GT-R's 2:55.6, that's 2:58.6, which is not 1.4s behind. To get to 1.4s slower than the Z06, you would have to add exactly 4 seconds to the GT-R, and they did not say 4 seconds.

The Z06 has several inherent disadvantages, like you preach about the shifting, corvette's have some of the longest throws there are, losing tons of time on shifts and AWD is a huge advantage on street tires. Not to mention computer aids which without them the driver is challenged more.

Don't try to use power to weight now after you've spent so much time trying to refute it's importance.
Now you're proving my point. The Z06 has SEVERAL INHERENT DISADVANTAGES. It's not all down to the tires, like you were claiming. Because even on similar tires, the Z06 cannot capitalize on its massive hp/wt advantage.
Do you seriously think I'm trying to use power/wt? Jeez, you have a serious reading problem. I'm showing you that hp/wt does NOT explain everything, when there are so many variables that affect a lap time. You, however, used it as the sole reason for why the GT-R cannot possibly lap the 'Ring as fast as it does (only way is with massive boost, slicks, yada).

Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
BD-
Banned
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Yup. That did back fire.. The same Renault F1 team that got busted for making it's driver crash into the wall? Didn't they get suspended for that? Hmmmm.
The driver and the then Team Boss did yes. So?

I think that's called cheating is it not?
Cheating in F1, who'd have thought? It's not like Schumacher didn't do the same damn thing to stop Alonso getting a pole at Monaco once only he got off with it. They didn't cheat when they won.

And please, don't refer to me as a fan boy kiddo.
Kiddo. LOL, best you do?

Fan boys are people that rant and rave about a car as if they own one. In reality they can't afford one. I personally like the GTR and would love to put one my garage when the premiums come down a bit. And yes.. I can afford one.. I have driven a GTR and was quite impressd with it. It is a great performance value. I prefer my Porsche over it, but I still wouldn't mind having one. Like Vic55 said, they are both great cars. The part that disgusts me is the childish and immature comments coming from you. I will give it to you though. You are very good at googling info. You must have a lot of time on your hands between finals....
You must have a lot of time on your hands inbetween falling asleep in meetings and trying to look clever.

Summary: So far we have a Renault and a Nissan that are faster than Porsches costing twice as much.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
^ GTR's cheaper and faster than lots of other expensive cars so I guess they all suck to, huh? Not sure why this is so important to you or what you're hoping to accomplish? You don't like porsche, fine don't buy one.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, for anyone not familiar, these are the two tires used in the Focus RS test:

Toyo R888 vs SportContact 3
Treadwear: 100 vs 280
'Ring time: 8:25 vs 8:26

When Sport Auto tested the V8 Vantage with P Zero Corsas, it dropped the lap time by 10 seconds.

Last edited by Guibo; 12-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
You must have a lot of time on your hands inbetween falling asleep in meetings and trying to look clever.

I actually do have some time on my hands in between meetings. BTW, I don't need to look clever... I hold the meetings.. Now what?

I just realized what a waste of time this exchange has been with you. Why am I wasting my time with some punk kid who has nothing better to do than surf the net for every piece info he can find on why the GTR is a better car than anything else ever made... You can come back and play with the big boys when you get out of school, make some money and buy your dream GTR. Until then......

Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BD-

I actually do have some time on my hands in between meetings. BTW, I don't need to look clever... I hold the meetings.. Now what?

I just realized what a waste of time this exchange has been with you. Why am I wasting my time with some punk kid who has nothing better to do than surf the net for every piece info he can find on why the GTR is a better car than anything else ever made... You can come back and play with the big boys when you get out of school, make some money and buy your dream GTR. Until then......
I too just came to the realization that this is just silly. Shame on me for taking so long. Maybe I keep coming back to look at his avatar.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
BTW, for anyone not familiar, these are the two tires used in the Focus RS test:

Toyo R888 vs SportContact 3
Treadwear: 100 vs 280
'Ring time: 8:25 vs 8:26

When Sport Auto tested the V8 Vantage with P Zero Corsas, it dropped the lap time by 10 seconds.

Theirs a few things you failed to mention:

Tire ratings are not the same for all tire manufactures...so its not a fix number where a 100 on a tire is the same as the other, even though it may read higher or lower.

Also the fact that if you do not have a alingment to use an R comp, odds are it will not be used to its full extent! It maybe worse than the regular tire supplied for that stock car. Porsche puts extremely ****ty alingments on their road cars ......

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Theirs a few things you failed to mention:

Tire ratings are not the same for all tire manufactures...so its not a fix number where a 100 on a tire is the same as the other, even though it may read higher or lower.

Also the fact that if you do not have a alingment to use an R comp, odds are it will not be used to its full extent! It maybe worse than the regular tire supplied for that stock car. Porsche puts extremely ****ty alingments on their road cars ......
Valid points. I already know that treadwear ratings aren't always applicable across brands. However, do you really think the Continental tire is as soft as the R888? Just eyeballing those tires, you can tell the tread pattern right off the bat should give a huge advantage with all else being the same.
How would you classify Aston Martin alignments?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I too just came to the realization that this is just silly. Shame on me for taking so long. Maybe I keep coming back to look at his avatar.
I think you are right. His avatar is really really hot........

Old 12-03-2009, 05:39 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I think you are right. His avatar is really really hot........
She certainly doesn't need a gun to get my attention.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
EtherSpill is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
Sure they are. Doesn't look like MPSCs are stock options anyway.
They are most definitely available from Porsche in the "Tequipment factory option catalog", page 13.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/fla.../index.htm#/2/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo vs GTR