997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Turbo vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZBOSS
I was told the same thing until i walked out the door n the guy ran after me with the keys in hand. The car is totally unconnected from a drivers stand point. Its all electronics, quick to about 75 mph and then stops pulling. It was fun but its a car that would get old FAST. I don't care what you say there is just no way to substitute a Nissan for a porsche.
your are absolutely right....+1

Webtool1
If I drove a GTR my friends would think I lost my job.
"hey Bob whats that you're driving.... A Nissan"?
Bob: "well yeah, but ummm, its really fast"
lol

Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BD-
At road car level on street tyres there's even more relevance. I'm sorry but it's a poor excuse. That isn't the reason Porsche isn't in F1. It's an event they've never been any good it. They couldn't compete with Ferrari and McLaren, plain and simple.
That's pretty retarded logic. This is like asking why neither of these marques are in WRC or NASCAR. It's not because they wouldn't be good at it. It's because they don't give a rat's *** about it.

Originally Posted by BD-
I'm sorry but when go-fast options extend into 5 figures ($20,000 if you were to include the Sport tyres + PDK + Sport Chrono + CCB) it calls into question exactly what 'stock' is.
Safe to say that for a small fraction of the price difference you could upgrade a GTR such as to make a warrantee completely redundant. At $160,000 you're talking about an $85,000 difference.?
If it comes from the factory and is fully warranted, it's not aftermarket. So it's stock. I don't think anyone with common sense would question this. Have you totally lost your mind? Comparing stock vs modded. What's the price difference between the GT-R and the base Corvette? About $20k? You don't think that for $20k, you can get a Corvette to be faster than a stock GT-R? I'm pretty sure you can. Yeah, let's compare a modified 'Vette to an Enzo to show what a poor value the Ferrari is.

Originally Posted by BD-
Bull****.
How is it bull****? Prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by BD-
More importantly, why shouldn't it?
Because a premium marque by its very nature offers something more than merely bang-for-the-buck. You seriously think all that leather and Alcantara in a Porsche is designed to make it go faster? Money is being put into this thing for things other than objective performance. It's the same thing with MB, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, etc. And even more so when you get into the supercar league. An Enzo or Pagani is a poor bang-for-buck proposition against a GT-R, wouldn't you agree? But when you realize why such cars exist, your bang-for-buck argument falls flat on its face.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
***What about your tyre theory? The GTR Dunlops wear longer than the RE050As, as shown in the post a few up (200 vs 140). PS2s are 220. I'm yet to see any evidence that Dunlops are faster than either of these tyres. Surely if they were better Porsche would just use them rather than crying all the time.***

BD,

Get me a set and I will have Ian do a back to back comparison to PS2's 245/40 18 and 315/30 18. I mean you do like FACTS don't you You can even come to Sebring and take a ride

Peter

Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Webtool1
If I drove a GTR my friends would think I lost my job.
"hey Bob whats that you're driving.... A Nissan"?
Bob: "well yeah, but ummm, its really fast"
If I drove a GTR I would think I lost my job!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 996TTer
If I drove a GTR I would think I lost my job!
When you sit inside a 997TT, nothing makes you think it should cost 70 grand more than a GTR.

At the end of the day, a 911 is not a Bugatti. If you guys knew exactly how many AUDI parts were in your 911's, you wouldnt be sitting here pretending you drive God's chariot

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
I like Audi's, VW's too, I just don't drive them
I had a Nissan once, I think.
Wait, isn't a GTR 'ALL' Nissan parts?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I drive a Porsche not because I think it's a status symbol or it's the fastest and best handling car. It might not be any of the above. I drive it because Porsche's are what makes my heart going. Although I like the GTR for what it is. It is a great car, no doubt.. However, I don't care if it's faster or is a better value than my 997tt. It's not going to get me out of my tt and run down to the Nissan store. If we were talking about bang for the buck, we should all be driving Subaru STi's / Mitsubishi Evo's (great cars BTW). bank for the buck is not what dictates what kind of supercar we buy...

Audi parts in my tt? I wonder how much there is? Interesting........ Either way, I don't mind having some Audi parts in my car... My other car is an Audi S5 How many Sentra and Versa parts you think is in the GTR? . BTW, the last time I checked, Audi dominated in the ALMS series before they pulled out and I don't mind one bit if some of their technology makes it into my car....

Originally Posted by kp117
When you sit inside a 997TT, nothing makes you think it should cost 70 grand more than a GTR.

At the end of the day, a 911 is not a Bugatti. If you guys knew exactly how many AUDI parts were in your 911's, you wouldnt be sitting here pretending you drive God's chariot

Last edited by GotBoost?; 11-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
yeah, what he said. Up there, him.
lets see, ultimate bang for buck = cubic zirconia

Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Webtool1
yeah, what he said. Up there, him.
lets see, ultimate bang for buck = cubic zirconia
There are ALOT of specific cost mesures and overall design/build/and feature content that make an STI or EVO 40-50 grand. They are both 4 cylinder cars. You cant even compare them to a GTR.

Im sorry but there isnt 75 grand of difference between a 911 and GTR. After about 40 grand you pass "bang for the buck" and cross into complete waste of money.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
I'd have another S2000 before I'd buy a GTR.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Hmm well, Thinking... Let me put it this way, when you buy a house in the right part of town you don't actually get more house, what you do get is a neighborhood where you want to be.
$75K is not a problem. Driving around in a Nissan is.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
There are ALOT of specific cost mesures and overall design/build/and feature content that make an STI or EVO 40-50 grand. They are both 4 cylinder cars. You cant even compare them to a GTR.

Im sorry but there isnt 75 grand of difference between a 911 and GTR. After about 40 grand you pass "bang for the buck" and cross into complete waste of money.
Again, our money to spend and not yours. Whether it's a waste of money or not is not for you to decide. I don't mind spending an extra $75k for a 997tt because it's a car that I like and want. Please don't try to impose your bang for the buck ideology on the rest of us. I will reiterate one more time that most of us who buy these cars don't buy it for it's price to value ratio. If you don't want to spend the extra $$ then that is your choice. However, don't try and convince us that the GTR is a better car or value. Value is a perception and not a fact....

Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute

So, what's wrong on driving Audi? I had an A8 some years ago, that had a Porsche engine--It was a fantastic car. And by the way Bugatti is VAG.

If you would ask me, what I am sure you won't, but I tell anyway- Nissan has the by far ugliest designs on the market (besides these new "hamster cages" they sell as cars lately. I mean the ones where the Ipod connection is more important than the driving ability)

Just my 2 cent

Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Did somebody say that Porsche has never been good at Formula One racing? You better go back and check to to see who won the World Championship three times in the early to mid-eighties. Can someone say TAG-Porsche? Alain Prost and Nikki Lauda might disagree with you. I'll help you a little: Go back and check 1984, 85, and 86. Look closely and see who built the engines.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-30-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Listen here KP. I bought a non turbo 911 over a GTR.... Also audi is what made Lamborghini great which I have also.

Your just a dreamer and a forum troll.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo vs GTR