997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
FYI, for those looking for my photos, you can thank Apple for getting rid of MobileMe.com...you'll have to wait a few days until I get things set up on flickr.com

Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 AM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
Any luck getting the photos up?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The photos have been restored. Please see the OP for the updated DIY.

Attached Images      
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
More of the photos

Attached Images      
Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks so much for updating this. I am going to be referring a couple of new owners to this excellent procedure.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Viv
Viv is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info, appreciated!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
This is very good and appreciated. I edited a copy to pass on to a couple of friends. A couple of comments.

The Mezger crankcase is VERY strong. The centeline where the 2 case halfs are bolted together has been "the" best jacking point for 911s since day one. I have always used a small piece of soft wood, or even a shop rag, to keep the jack from digging in. I may try the hockey puck but am concerned about the possibility of it slipping. I would never hesitate to use this as a jacking point.

Re: Draining 996 turbocharger oil. Yes, it is supposed to be done. So is the filter housing. I have been around these a long time and am doubtful most mechanics do this. Nice idea if you want to be 100%. Similar to changing that $$$ tiny O ring. Conversely, if it is so important, why didn't they add drain plugs on the 997tt? [The answer is that they realized they weren't needed and it has nothing to do with a different design. My old 930 also lacks this feature on any of the turbochargers I have used..with no ill effects.

Last, FYI, the Factory update calls for oil changes every 2 years on my under used 6-2. [shame on me] If you do oil analysis you may start to wonder about throwing away perfectly fine oil. [Yes, I know... I used to race and the saying was "Oil is cheaper than engines!" ] Still, I get bothered about tossing good oil.. "just because".
JR

Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Amdel is infamous around these parts
Great post, BBYWU. I recently got a 2004 996 Turbo, and this post helped tremendously with my first oil change! I looked for an oil filter wrench locally and found one at Pep Boys that fit perfectly. It is 76MM with 14 flats(flutes). They had a regular oil filter cap wrench, and they also one made specifically for an oil filter housing that is very similar to the one on the Porsche. The cap wrench for the housing is made for a Mazda, Ford or Mercedes, but fit the Porsche perfectly. I attached pics of the cap wrench. I also took Skeeter's advice and got the filter from Suncoast. They include all 4 crush rings for the turbo engine (crankcase, oil tank, and 2 turbo oil containers). For those of you who chose to drain the 2 turbo oil containers (I did), that takes an 8MM hex wrench.

Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Glad I was able to help!

Nice job. I think DIY oil changes on this car are easy, and most dealerships really charge too much for the amount of time it takes to do this easy task.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks BBYWU. This forum is a lifesaver for the DIYer! I do have a question I was hoping that you, or another poster, can help with. According to "Porsche 996 - The Essential Companion" the torque for the turbo oil container drain plugs is 70Nm (52lb-ft). I read in another post that the torque for them is 22 lb-ft. The Bentley manual does not cover the M96.70 engine, so I've run out of reliable resources to figure out which one is correct. Can you tell me the correct torque? For now, I have it at 22 lb-ft, and I'm keeping an eye out for leaks!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Which oil container are you referring to? The crankcase or the oil tank?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Neither. There are 4 bolts for the "full" oil change on the twin turbo engine: the crankcase, the oil tank, and two "turbocharger oil container" drain plugs. It's the two turbocharger oil container drain plugs (one for each turbocharger) that I'm referring to on the M96.70 twin turbo engine. The two bolts come out with an 8MM hex wrench, and they have aluminum crush washers.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Amdel
Neither. There are 4 bolts for the "full" oil change on the twin turbo engine: the crankcase, the oil tank, and two "turbocharger oil container" drain plugs. It's the two turbocharger oil container drain plugs (one for each turbocharger) that I'm referring to on the M96.70 twin turbo engine. The two bolts come out with an 8MM hex wrench, and they have aluminum crush washers.

Most people leave these alone for fear of ruining the tank. I dont know the actual torque value, but I bet its less than 52ftlbs. Pretty sure you would strip the threads right out at 52.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I'll leave it where I have it (22 ft-lbs) and keep an eye on it to make sure there are no leaks.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM
The turbo sumps are 22 ft/lbs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70