997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 VIDEO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
911 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 VIDEO

repost? cool vid nonethelesssss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTUH...layer_embedded

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
BMWPower06 is infamous around these parts
Just saw this today. I think the porsche could've beaten the GTR

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
I love how the Brits do these comparisons on wet tracks....

Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I love how the Brits do these comparisons on wet tracks....
We don't have much of an option, it rains pretty much incessantly.. and that's England.. I'm from Scotland where it's MUCH worse. If you want to drive a Car, or ride a Motorcycle, you're going to be doing it in the wet.. a LOT...

Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No Z07!!!!!

bwahahahahahahahahahahha

Autocar are GT-R homers. Who does a comparison and only tracks out in one of the cars? The TT only tracks half way out on the last corner exit (The R8 only 3/4), while the GT-R uses all the track on exit. That's a few tenths on it's own. First they drift, now they just don't drive properly.

I'd like to hear the driver explain that technique. The GT-R is the only car advanced enough to track out.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Simon P. is infamous around these parts
My first post, although I have read these forums for a while. I'm a long-time Porsche fan and owner, although I have also recently moved to the Dark Side with a GT-R.

heavychevy, I think something may be lost in translation (homers? tracks out?), but i can assure you that Sutcliffe of Autocar knows how to drive drive, and as far as I'm aware isn't on Nissan's or Audi's payroll.

Whilst it may be tough for the die-hards to accept, the GT-R is a true leap forward. Granted, it may not have the badge or the rawness of an RS, and it isn't perfect, but drive one hard (road or track - road being where the gap is even more obvious) and it makes a first-generation 997 Turbo seem like an anachronism. It has such better balance, is so much more stable and some mid-corner bumps on roads I know well seem no longer to exist.

The GT-R might not take the place of the 993 RS in my heart, but in my mind it's a more capable and better car than any current 911 (GT2 included).

I'll hopefully have a chance to drive a PDK Turbo shortly after Christmas, but I just can't see it being a big enough advance to match the GT-R. Porsche have the engineers, but with new competition we are seeing the platform's limitations in my opinion.

Try a GT-R (or an R8) - you may be surprised.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No Z07!!!!!

bwahahahahahahahahahahha

Autocar are GT-R homers. Who does a comparison and only tracks out in one of the cars? The TT only tracks half way out on the last corner exit (The R8 only 3/4), while the GT-R uses all the track on exit. That's a few tenths on it's own. First they drift, now they just don't drive properly.

I'd like to hear the driver explain that technique. The GT-R is the only car advanced enough to track out.

Wow Heavy,
So Autocar PURPOPOSELY made the GT-R beat the Turbo and R8?.

You went from....
Nissan is cheating, its a ringer.......to
The GT-R comes standard with racing tires ......to
The test drivers are cheating for the GT-R.

They keep banning Z07 to your delight, but judging by the content of your post and the ridiculous absurd arguments you've put forth, I'd say you're nothing more than a Pro-Porsche "troll".

I mean c'mon, the test drivers are now cheating too?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simon P.
My first post, although I have read these forums for a while. I'm a long-time Porsche fan and owner, although I have also recently moved to the Dark Side with a GT-R.

heavychevy, I think something may be lost in translation (homers? tracks out?), but i can assure you that Sutcliffe of Autocar knows how to drive drive, and as far as I'm aware isn't on Nissan's or Audi's payroll.

Whilst it may be tough for the die-hards to accept, the GT-R is a true leap forward. Granted, it may not have the badge or the rawness of an RS, and it isn't perfect, but drive one hard (road or track - road being where the gap is even more obvious) and it makes a first-generation 997 Turbo seem like an anachronism. It has such better balance, is so much more stable and some mid-corner bumps on roads I know well seem no longer to exist.

The GT-R might not take the place of the 993 RS in my heart, but in my mind it's a more capable and better car than any current 911 (GT2 included).

I'll hopefully have a chance to drive a PDK Turbo shortly after Christmas, but I just can't see it being a big enough advance to match the GT-R. Porsche have the engineers, but with new competition we are seeing the platform's limitations in my opinion.

I didn't say the guy can't drive, however if he does know the fundamentals of driving, which ALWAYS includes using all of the track on corner exit onto a straight, that would mean he did that on purpose, which doesn't surprise me after some of their other videos.

Like I said, I'd like to hear him explain to a group of road racers why tracking out is only beneficial in one of three cars and how the other cars didn't lose time because of him neglecting to do so.

There is no excuse for that kind of driving from someone with experience, simple as that.

Find me a video of any pro, or any good amateur driving for timed laps and only using half of the track on corner exit. You WONT find any, not any fast ones anyways. The purpose of comparisons is to drive the cars the best way possible, and he clearly did no such thing in two of them.

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-13-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned
Quentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Simon P.

Good luck trying to persuade Heavychevy how good the GTR is - you'll just end up getting banned. The guy thinks the GTR is "just a mediocre car with sticky tires" and everyone should listen to him. Afterall, he has never driven or even sat in a GTR before, so he knows best.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by kp117
Wow Heavy,
So Autocar PURPOPOSELY made the GT-R beat the Turbo and R8?.

You went from....
Nissan is cheating, its a ringer.......to
The GT-R comes standard with racing tires ......to
The test drivers are cheating for the GT-R.

They keep banning Z07 to your delight, but judging by the content of your post and the ridiculous absurd arguments you've put forth, I'd say you're nothing more than a Pro-Porsche "troll".

I mean c'mon, the test drivers are now cheating too?

Before the last thread ended you were telling us about your track experience, I'd love to hear it.

You never have any worthwhile knowledge of the track to offer, only useless bantering arguements that show no intellect concerning the subject.

Is it your assertion that him not tracking out DID NOT HURT THE TT or R8's time????? I'd like to here some reasonable objection rather than fanboy blabbering.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Simon P. is infamous around these parts
It's an interesting point of view, but this isn't the only review where the GT-R has shown its abilities. I don't think every journalist is a cheat, although I'm ready to be proven wrong ...

Have you spent much time driving a GT-R at all? A number of acquaintances (and acquaintances of acquaintances) in Germany and the UK (most current or ex-Porsche owners) have been converted after driving one.

Cars of this ability can only be a good thing for enthusiasts in general in my opinion.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned
Quentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the rough
I didn't say the guy can't drive, however if he does know the fundamentals of driving, which ALWAYS includes using all of the track on corner exit onto a straight, that would mean he did that on purpose, which doesn't surprise me after some of their other videos.

Like I said, I'd like to hear him explain to a group of road racers why tracking out is only beneficial in one of three cars and how the other cars didn't lose time because of him neglecting to do so.

There is no excuse for that kind of driving from someone with experience, simple as that.

Find me a video of any pro, or any good amateur driving for timed laps and only using half of the track on corner exit. You WONT find any, not any fast ones anyways. The purpose of comparisons is to drive the cars the best way possible, and he clearly did no such thing in two of them.
Maybe because the turbo is so hard to control with all that bouncing and movement that the driver found it hard to keep a tidy line?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the new pdk turbo even more 'tail happy' than the old one?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Quentin
Maybe because the turbo is so hard to control with all that bouncing and movement that the driver found it hard to keep a tidy line?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the new pdk turbo even more 'tail happy' than the old one?

OMG, and that has what to do with tracking out?

See why I don't take any of you guys seriously?

The harder a car is to control, the MORE important it is to use all of the track. And bouncing had nothing to do with control as the bumps were on straight portions, not in the turns. I also didn't see much steering wheel correction for any of them to be hard to control.

I can't believe you guys continue to yap about things you don't have the slightest clue about.

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-13-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:39 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all

The harder a car is to control, the MORE important it is to use all of the track. And bouncing had nothing to do with control as the bumps were on straight portions, not in the turns. I also didn't see much steering wheel correction for any of them to be hard to control.

I can't believe you guys continue to yap about things you don't have the slightest clue about.
Yeah, you have a point Heavy. I remember the time when you drove the PDK Turbo on that very same track.....

Oh wait.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

I watched the video closely again, and I see that sutcliffe uses the entire corner on exit on the last corner in the Porsche. Obviously he could've used a bit more, but you are forgetting that the track was not entirely dry and the turbo was quite "a handful" so he was obviously careful.

This test should be re-done in perfectly dry weather with 3 fast laps for each car and the average taken. Then, we will see which car is truly the fastest. My money is still on the GTR.
But until then, the last sentence from Sutcliffe in this video pretty much sums it up..."The GTR is still King"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 VIDEO