997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein PSS10 Damptronics with Adjustable toe links

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
tranman329 is infamous around these parts
Bilstein PSS10 Damptronics with Adjustable toe links

I will be getting the Bilstein Damptronics in a few days and wanted to know what everyone uses for the adjustable rear toe links? My current setup is the RSS rear and front sway bars with stock links. I read that it is best to just swap out the rear toe links because it can put wear on your rear tire more? Also, after putting on the damptronics, should i wait a few days for it to settle before alignment?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Hi Tranman329,

Happy New Year. You may get other suggestions but we recommend that you still have the car aligned after the initial Coilover installation. This way, if the alignment/setup is a bit off after the Coilover install - you wont have negative handling effects and wear on your tires during the "settling" phase. We suggest you get another alignment or at least have your tuner check your car out to see if things have changed after the car has settled. Getting another complete alignment after settling may not be necessary depending on certain factors like how much you drive your car and driving style, etc.

In regards to your question about rear adjustable toe links. The addition of a adjustable rear link kit (dogbones) and/or an adjustable toe steer kit may not be needed with your application. They will give you the ability to have proper toe settings and have more positive camber if needed depending on your overall setup and how low you go.

For instance, since you mention tire wear - an adjustable rear link kit (dogbones) will correct rear suspension geometry of lowered cars which improves handling and feedback. The additional negative camber in the rear can prematurely wear out rear tires as the factory accentric bolts do not offer enough adjustment to properly re-align the car to desired specs.

A toe steer kit is also used on lowered vehicles to help minimize the suspension geometry change and allow toe adjustment at the toe steer arm giving the ability to make adjustments independent of the factory eccentric bolts which may not offer sufficient adjustment - depending on your desired setup.

Many vendors offer great kits as do we.

Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you may have. I've also attached pics of the:

(1) Adjustable Rear Link Kit (dogbones)
(2) Adjustable Toe Steer Kit.

Thanks

Attached Images   

Last edited by Sales@RSS; 12-31-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't plan to drop it too low. Can you PM the price for these dogbones? I also heard that the RSS drop links squeeks? I don't need any for the front correct?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
We also use the RSS rear drop links on all of our applications and we couldn't be happier. The quality is simply amazing.

Last edited by 997FL; 12-31-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tranman329
I don't plan to drop it too low. Can you PM the price for these dogbones? I also heard that the RSS drop links squeeks...
Hi Tranman329,

It is very unlikely the RSS rear drop links squeak. We have not experienced that on any of our applications or customer cars. If a spherical rod end goes bad, they usually make a clunking sound. It is possible whoever told you the RSS droplinks squeak may be hearing something else squeaking in their suspension system or possibly from sway bars / bushings during articulation. PM coming your way shortly. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I will be getting the Bilstein Damptronics in a few days and wanted to know what everyone uses for the adjustable rear toe links? My current setup is the RSS rear and front sway bars with stock links. I read that it is best to just swap out the rear toe links because it can put wear on your rear tire more? Also, after putting on the damptronics, should i wait a few days for it to settle before alignment?
Please see picture below. I could be wrong but I think your question, and RSS's, and Rennsport's answers, are about 3 entirely different links!
My humble opinion: the first stage should be Bilstein and sway bar, AND alignment change. Then evaluate for toe link and possible drop link.
1. Toe link/rear toe control arm (what you asked about): One of the most uniformly recommended mod to the suspension. I have wanted to add this to my car for a long time now. Any number of vendor (RSS, GMG, Tarett) sell this. You could also get it from Porsche Motorsport America, which I have not got around to seeing how.
>>>>>>>
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm
Restore proper suspension geometry with this adjustable lower rear control arm. The factory control arm can’t compensate enough when lowering your 996/997, Cayman or Boxster, leaving you stuck with as much as ½” of toe in. The result is poor handling and rapid tire wear. This kit will provide the additional adjustment needed.
The adjusting link has a left and right hand thread on each end. Rotating the link will increase or decrease the overall length of the arm. <O></O>
A precision Teflon lined spherical rod end replaces the compliant rubber factory bushing for improved suspension response and feedback, and also reduces toe changes during acceleration and deceleration. The result is improved stability and control.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Dog bones/rear upper control arms (the picture posted by RSS): Could bring noise & harshness and some think not necessary in most situations.

3. Drop link (the picture posted by Rennsport): Connect sway bar to the coilver. In my experience, makes car feel more solid, less springy, increase effect of sway bar, but also brings noise and harshness. I would say this is good for the track, and necessary for corner balancing. I had this in the past but now is back to the stock link because of less noise or harshness.

Last edited by cannga; 12-31-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Please see picture below. I could be wrong but I think your question, and RSS's, and Rennsport's answers, are about 3 entirely different links!

1. Toe link/rear toe control arm

2. Dog bones/rear upper control arms

3. Drop link
In usual fashion, Can is absolutely correct. We're talking about three different components.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
I am confuse now. If I were putting the damptronics on and currently have the RSS rear sways with stock drop links, what should I buy to make sure I get the correct alignment for my vehicle?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 01:26 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 2672366" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>bbywu</TD><TD class=alt1>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by cannga

1. Toe link/rear toe control arm

2. Dog bones/rear upper control arms

3. Drop link

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In usual fashion, Can is absolutely correct. We're talking about three different components

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

+1 Can is spot on here.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 02:04 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 2672416" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>tranman329</TD><TD class=alt1>I am confuse now. If I were putting the damptronics on and currently have the RSS rear sways with stock drop links, what should I buy to make sure I get the correct alignment for my vehicle? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Phong,

I think for what you are looking to do, I don't think the drop links are going to be necessary. Rear dog bones are not necessary either. I think the only thing you should consider is the toe steer kit (toe links). Depending on how much you lower the car, this will help adjust the toe angle.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Mike, thank you for the advice. I guess I am looking for the toe steer kit then. Please PM if you have the kit.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Mike, thank you for the advice. I guess I am looking for the toe steer kit then. Please PM if you have the kit.
No problem. Give Bryan a call at RSS for the toe steer kit. They make some good stuff.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Have a read: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...stein-gmg.html

I have stock drop-links on the rear and Bilstein drop-links (that came with the Damptronic kit) on the front.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
At what point (i.e. how much lowering) is getting the toe link kit a good idea?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
with a 20mm drop my rear tires wear like mad on the inside.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
with a 20mm drop my rear tires wear like mad on the inside.
What rear camber and toe are you running?

The number 1 cause of rear tire wear is toe, not camber.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10 Damptronics with Adjustable toe links