997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

mikymu/docdan's lip protection mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Thumbs up mikymu/docdan's lip protection mod

I just got a new front lip for the turbo from Suncoast. While some of you 'ballers' don't mind trashing a few every year and getting a new one, I want this one to last as long as possible. mikymu's thread in the GT3 forum looked like a great idea.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rotection.html

docdan found another source for the rubber molding. Cheaper and with adhesive.

http://www.brandsport.com/trimgard1.html

I got the 'Trim Gard' Black, J-shaped. Comes in a single length and is sold per 5 feet. I got 20 ft for $20 something bucks shipped (got extra in case I needed to replace it, but turns out 20 ft probably won't be enough for 2 applications. Purchasing 30 ft is probably better).

Slapped it on and it looks essentially invisible. Not quite color matched, but so similar no one will notice, even up close (matte would have been better, but they don't have that color in the J-shape). Unless your looking under the car, it probably won't be visible from the front.

Luckily, I did not install this thing yet b/c putting it on while on the car would be a major PITA! If you decide to get this, one tip: do NOT remove the red adhesive protector all at once. Remove only in small sections as you apply the rubber strip. The 3M will stick to the opposite side of the J-molding and is a mother to separate.

As you can see from the pics, it doesn't cover the very front edge, so this is still vulnerable. But hopefully it will protect it from some damage and the adhesive is strong enough to withstand a good scraping.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-31-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
great DIY. Let me know how long it last. I ripped my painted one within 48 hours and its always at the very front edge so not sure how effective this will be.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:43 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Looks very clean and flush and should protect your front lip well

Old 01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
In all honesty, it was really Mikymu's mod, I just found a source for the stuff. Just the same, I'm glad you found the information useful. I've found out that even though this stuff will protect your chin from a good scrape, you will probably also "sacrifice" your trimguard.

On a good bottom out, I will lose the trimgaurd protection, but, the paint and spoiler is still protected. I've bought a few rolls of this stuff and just reapply it when necessary. I'm on my 4th application now.

Dan

Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
great little mod, my lip is thrashed, I will definitely do this with my next one.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
any updates bonehead hows it holding up just ordered my aero kit front lip & already worried about it & it's not even hear yet

Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
any updates bonehead hows it holding up just ordered my aero kit front lip & already worried about it & it's not even hear yet
Sorry, I haven't even had time to install the lip yet Still sitting in my garage. Will be sure to report after my first (inevitable) scrape.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
missmelva is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by twturbo
How much you paid the aero lip

Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by missmelva
How much you paid the aero lip
$668 from Suncoast list was nine something & my dealer told me only available as a kit with the wing,also ordered the gt2 side skirts for about the same price

Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Okay. Update on the lip protection 'mod'. It doesnt work
Well, at least where I installed the rubber strip. All the scraping occurs along the front edge and not so much underneath where I put the strip. Applying something along the front edge would certainly be more useful but probably less aesthetically pleasing. Oh, well, live and learn

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Okay. Update on the lip protection 'mod'. It doesnt work
Well, at least where I installed the rubber strip. All the scraping occurs along the front edge and not so much underneath where I put the strip. Applying something along the front edge would certainly be more useful but probably less aesthetically pleasing. Oh, well, live and learn
Thanks for the update. I still have it sitting in the garage but haven't installed. I agree, I think it would work best if it were at the front edge... But even then, I have a feeling that a strong scrape would just pull it right off.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
.....ahhhh, the ol' front edge versus bottom edge debate.

I think it just depends on how you happen to damage your front chin spoiler. For instance, if you tend to run up and over items, such as cement parking stops, or sidewalks, then having a spoiler protection on the front edge would help. (What I usually do in those situations is just back the car in....then again, I risking damage to my $999 Cargraphics exhaust tips, a classic lose-lose situation to me if I'm not careful how close I'm parking )

Another way of messing up your chin spoiler is how I most frequently do it. It's when I misjudge the angle of a slope an (going either up or down) and I scrape the bottom edge of my chin spoiler. It gives the chin spoiler a type of "roughed up" chafed look to it. This is when the bottom of the chin spolier protection comes in handy for me.

Even in that case, I will usually have the spoiler protection pulled off. So, I'm not sure how great of 'mod' this is, but it does help somewhat.