997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust Resonance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
The hollow vibrating sound is just the cold start, all exhaust sound louder and throatier until they warm up, resonance/drone is a noise heard in the cabin between a certain rpm range that sounds like an annoying loud hmmm or nagging wife.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Rambo1,
PM on the way....a great deal just fell into my lap

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
The hollow vibrating sound is just the cold start, all exhaust sound louder and throatier until they warm up, resonance/drone is a noise heard in the cabin between a certain rpm range that sounds like an annoying loud hmmm or nagging wife.
I agreed and thanks for the good laugh. There has been some confusion as to what drone/resonance is in the Turbo. For the majority of cases, per my web research and IMHO, it is:
a. In the range around 2500-2800 or so. Never above 3000.
b. Manifested as a hum/noise that is louder and a different frequency than the normal exhaust sound, usually in higher gear, 3rd and up.
c. Most bothersome during cruising or normal driving, never during all out driving. For one, if you could hear it during all out driving, you really have got extraordinary hearing, so fantastic as to be un-believeable.
d. Exists with nearly every exhaust, but not a problem for most after-market exhausts because we usually drive/cruise at above 3000 rpm, where the turbo power kicks in.
e. Suspension mod and ECU mod could affect and worsen this noise.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I think of it like this: drone is something you feel more then you hear.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Just listened to today's new thread of the clip of the speedART Sport Exhaust. Sounded great in the video, but I know that's sometimes not the same as hearing them in person. Has anyone here heard both the speedART Sport Exhaust and the Tubi Street, and if so, I'd love to hear your comparison (sound, loudness, high pitch vs rumble, quality, etc)?

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rambo1
Cannga,

Unfortunately (and quite sadly), I know that nothing will come close to the Ferrari sound, which is my personal favourite. Outside the true exotics, my last BMW M6 had a wail at WOT to die for (best thing about that car). But it would seem that the Tubi is about as close as I can get on a TT.

Here is one alternative. I have the BBI system and I couldn't be happier. I have heard all the exhuasts sytems out there for the 997tt and this one has a distinctly different tone. It's higher pitched. I know what you are talking about with the M6. The sound at WOT is truly awesome. Check out my thread on my BBI system.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...und-clips.html

Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cannga
Rambo, you are welcome! Yes if the deep gutteral growl is not important to you, then Tubi is an excellent choice. It's well loved by many, and especially good for convertibles.

Just discussing for fun here: By "high pitched European sound," do you mean Ferrari or Lamborghini? If so, note that that is NOT what the Tubi sound like and anyone who knows exhaust will tell you that NO exhaust system in the Turbo make it sound like a Ferrari (mechanical scream, staccato, not much low frequency) or a Lambo (my favorite). Not GMG, not Cargraphic, not Tubi, nothing can reproduce that sound.
In other words, while the Tubi and Ferrari share that character of less low frequency component, only the Ferrari has that mechanical angry scream all the way from bottom to top rpm.

Good luck and have fun!
how would you say the europipe is compared as far as sound goes

Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Rambo, you are welcome! Yes if the deep gutteral growl is not important to you, then Tubi is an excellent choice. It's well loved by many, and especially good for convertibles.

Just discussing for fun here: By "high pitched European sound," do you mean Ferrari or Lamborghini? If so, note that that is NOT what the Tubi sound like and anyone who knows exhaust will tell you that NO exhaust system in the Turbo make it sound like a Ferrari (mechanical scream, staccato, not much low frequency) or a Lambo (my favorite). Not GMG, not Cargraphic, not Tubi, nothing can reproduce that sound.
In other words, while the Tubi and Ferrari share that character of less low frequency component, only the Ferrari has that mechanical angry scream all the way from bottom to top rpm.

Good luck and have fun!
Originally Posted by cgng30
I have never listened to a Europipe so really can't comment on the sound. It has great reputation and many happy owners - can't go wrong there. See if you could get a live audition.

As for Cargraphic, you've tracked down this old post of mine so very likely you've read my comments already: Beautiful and menacing low frequency purr at low rpm, loud mechanical scream like a race car at high rpm, in cabin sound very similar to stock 2010 GT3 (below 7000 rpm of course). The low frequency purr is most likely the distinguishing hallmark of this system and is what I love most of all. It was perfect for me from day one, and it is perfect now . You might also want to check out this thread (in addition to the one in my signature), my audition from the very beginning: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ust/page1.html.

But as I have mentioned several times: There are many good exhaust systems out there, no right or wrong, and no "best" system. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by cannga; 05-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !

If you can wait a couple of days I will try to make a sound video of my Europipe stage 2.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Ruf was amazing but a bit expensive
tubi street was perfect as well!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I can honestly say the Europipe IMHO has a true European sound to it, should try to hear it in person as videos never do any exhaust true justice.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
No comparison. And im not just talking sound either. The EP1 sits on top of the heap and is the full package. If you want a tubi street i have a near new one thats only done 400kms from new. PM if your interested. Freight may be an issue tho.

Last edited by speed21; 05-12-2010 at 06:12 AM.