997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

best lowering springs to put on a cabTT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
best lowering springs to put on a cabTT

AS the title states. Looking to lower a cabTT and wanted to know what you guys suggest.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
i have the Techart coilovers with the noselift on my cab great option

Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
coilovers are the best option indeed.
But its for boss mans car and he doenst want to blow the coin on that..only wants the look. Thanks anyhow!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Techart springs

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
you can go with Techart or H&R springs. Should lower the car about an inch. Just make sure to get a proper alignment after.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
I have the GMG springs and love them.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
I am very happy with my Techart springs. The lowering springs drop the car about 1" and give the car a better feel. Unless you spend the money on coilovers the springs alone are suitable enough for street use. Springs are cheap but a good alignment is critical, good luck.

Last edited by ZZinger; 01-10-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
gmg saw those on vivids page. The day to day ride feel is ok?
is there a diff really between h&r techarts or gmg's?
H&r's are the cheaper ones to go with but is there a quality flaw... not cheesin out the car over 200... diff in spings from hr to gmg or TArts

Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi there. The 3 most popular springs used in the 997 Turbo are H&R, Techarts, and GMG.
I don't think there is such a thing as "best" spring, outside of price, because obviously the definition of "best" depends on the specific driver.
But... I think it might help you boss to know how stiff each spring is relative to each other, and so, while I hate to repeat rumor, rumor did have it that: H&R *might* be softer than stock, Techarts is next, and GMG is stiffest.

I had a test ride in the GMG, and per my butt dyno sensor, yes it's ok for daily driver. The GMG spring is made by Eibach, which is about as good of a name in spring as you could have.
Eibach itself releases spring for Turbo, I believe (not sure). I don't know how it compares to GMG as far as stiffness. And no one here has used it.

Lastly, clearly you know the real solution is coilover so I don't need to mention anything to you. But you might score big points with your boss if you explain to him that lowering spring may end up costing MORE money because it could cause the damper to fail. And then he'll end up paying for everything nearly twice.
The stock damper is not designed for the new spring rate (depending on the spring) and therefore is operating outside of its parameter, and it's not designed for the lower position that the lowering spring brings it to. It is also more prone to failure the more the mileage you've had on the dampener. All per my extensive web research . Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
We have used Champion and H&R (essentially the same) on several 997TT's and had great success. The ride in non-sport is great, and feels excellent in sport as well. The springs really compliment the factory Bilstein dampeners well.

If you're looking for mostly aesthetics and even for the occasional track day, the springs are an excellent and economical option.

I'm partial to the Champion springs because I think they look cool in white.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DMaffo
coilovers are the best option indeed.
But its for boss mans car and he doenst want to blow the coin on that..only wants the look. Thanks anyhow!
I like the H&R springs the best. They look good and the car handles a little bit better without much difference in ride quality. I attached some pictures. See below. The last picture if the best representation of the drop. Some of the single wheel shots dont do it justice but when the car is rolling it look a lot better and if you can park it just right you can really see the drop vs stock.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Here's a pic of a 997TT with the Champion/H&R springs. I think the drop is great!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Not a TT but I've got TechArt springs on my car. Since my car has PASM, the drop is 15mm (it would have been 25mm if my car didn't have PASM). PASM continues to work perfectly after the install.

I have heard that H&R's tend to sag over time but can't confirm (but a pretty prominent Bay Area Porsche tuner has stated this and that is one reason they no longer install H&R's).

Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
My car had the Champion springs. The ride was great. That is not the issue. The tt has a frotn lip that goes out horizontally, almost 90 degrees unlike say a Cayman were the nose goes slightly up. I had springs also on my Cayman which now has coil overs. I never scraped with the Cayman however the tt scraped everywhere. The drop and the low, far reaching lip will be an issue. I switched back to stock springs and will go will coilovers and a mild drop of about 10mm. Most springs will drop your front by 1 - 1 1/2 inch or 25 - 35mm. I have my Champion springs for sale on ebay. I suggest you see the drop in person on somebody's car and even better get a ride.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JoeShark
I have heard that H&R's tend to sag over time but can't confirm (but a pretty prominent Bay Area Porsche tuner has stated this and that is one reason they no longer install H&R's).
I've heard similar rumors before but never seen it confirmed with my own eyes. We have a customer that regularly tracks his 997TT on H&R's and there's no evidence of any sagging after nearly 6000 miles.

I think where you may have a problem is installing just springs on a vehicle without the PASM optioned shocks. In those cases what happens is that the spring and shock aren't really working in perfect harmony any more. You're asking the spring to do more work since the stiffness of the shocks isn't supporting them as much. However, with PASM equipped cars I think the ride tends to be a bit firmer anyway, and the shocks being a better made Bilstein dampener are much better equipped to work in harmony with the slightly firmer lowering springs.

That being said, we even had H&R springs on our previous 997 C2 shop car without PASM and the springs held up perfectly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best lowering springs to put on a cabTT