997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just sold the 997TT. Want something different. Under 70k, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
m3 with the smg is very nice....and free service for 4 years....

75k or so...retail...

Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
From what you've described, a Viper ACR might be just what you're looking for with the exception that your wife still wouldn't be able to drive it on account of it's 6speed transmission. Honestly, it sounds like you really would like a 360 with paddles and they are very nice cars. Not the fastest, but very visceral experience. With it being a weekend car, just find one that has had a timing belt recently installed. Another car that nobody has mentioned but certainly would fall into your requirements would be a F355 or brand new Infinity G37 with sport package and save a bit of coin. Also, I know you said you're not really interested in another Pcar at this time, but seriously, drive a GT3. One of the things that a lot of Turbo owners didn't like about the turbos was the disconnection from the road. Sure they're fast, but they felt it was missing that special something. The Normally aspirated GT3 addresses a lot of those concerns. They may look alike, but they're very different cars once in the drivers seat, but yeah only 6speeds lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Dukekid68 is infamous around these partsDukekid68 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NeilM
A GTR is exotic??!! this is news to me.
maybe i should have said "exclusive" as there are less GTRs than 997TTs on the market

sorry OP seems to be killing every idea anyone had brought to the table so truthfully there may be no replacement as it seems he doesn't have a desire to hear about the other alternatives which were offered and would be on his radar given 5 min of "dreaming" about his next "70k" budget

here's a thought, seems that maybe your only option is to buy a vespa and call it a day...well below your threshold and should really kick you in the butt dino dept

Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
maybe sl500?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Alec is infamous around these parts
Alright, I guess I can increase my budget to 80k.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by mosth8d
you paint with such broad strokes.

i mentioned it was for sale since they dont have supras at the showroom anymore. the op was asking for options so i was providing a specific example. sale ads have contact info, asking prices and pictures. i only made mention of the car as an example of what was available for the OP. i would dare say most supras dont come with 16k original miles these days.

also notice that the person asking for pictures is not the OP. its not my car and if i posted pictures it would more closely resemble a for sale ad so i opted to do it via pm if this guy wanted pictures i woulda gave him a link.

also thanks for the quote from the rules which i read already. i was following those rules that is why i didnt post the pictures.

back to the OP's topic, i still think a supra woud be a great choice since they meet your requirments as you desribed. they are truly great cars and actually handle very well in the twisties too. they are great fun and less than 70k. you can get them in auto or manual and they respond well to modification. they also hold their value. the car i just described is not for sale however by me or by any of the following known by me; friends, relatives, pets, mortal enemies.
I had a Supra awhile ago. 510rwhp. I know they are excellent cars but I want something with more class. I'm done with tuners.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm really liking the V8 Vantages. Only problem is they're slow compared to my 997.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Catalyst is infamous around these parts
If budget is Firm Get a Viper, imo more exclusive than the TT faster and more raw..
If you can wait and save: Lambo Gallardo or F360 more more exclusive, not as fast, but sound is on par imo with the 360 and head and shoulders better than the 997, M5/6, viper, vette, etc.

If I were in your shoes Id would opt for the latter

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Devin1205 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alec
I'm really liking the V8 Vantages. Only problem is they're slow compared to my 997.
+1 here

Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Devin1205 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
m3 with the smg is very nice....and free service for 4 years....

75k or so...retail...
as long as its the e92. the new smg is miles ahead of the old e46

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I realized I could afford a DB9. That looks like the best route for me right now.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM
obrienkp is infamous around these parts
isnt damn near everything with a price tag of less then 6 figures going to be slow compared to your 997TT? people keep mentioning the Ferrari 360 but hell that is going to be slower then the E92 M3....

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
I was looking at V8 vantage before I bought my new 997. The only issue I had was that there is only one dealer in all of Chicago. Lake Bluff. Also, the service for the cars is high compared to Porsche. We have a house in the western suburbs.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by obrienkp
isnt damn near everything with a price tag of less then 6 figures going to be slow compared to your 997TT? people keep mentioning the Ferrari 360 but hell that is going to be slower then the E92 M3....
The problem is when your comparing to a 150K car yea its gonna be slower, when you drop the price you can work with something has to give the Z06 is just as quick but not as classy inside, the GTR is fast but kinda clinical, the AM V8 is great looking but not as fast. Its give and take. 80G is a decent amount of coin but your looking for a 150K performance car for 80K its not gonna happen, compromise is your friend here. a DB9 is a great car but wont have the WOW factor speed wise that ur 997TT had. the V8 is more nimble yea its not as powerful but the smaller size and more road tuned suspension will make it feel alot more alive. As for the F360 my E55 can kill 360s right now as could ur TT so i dont know if you will want that performance wise yea sure wow factor it will work. Consider a Gallardo if ur worried about cost of ownership. Not as expensive if u get a 6spd when u deal with the F1 transmissions i say put another 5-8K aside through your x amount of years for that one part. Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm really leaning towards DB9/Vanquish. Personally, I think there's no better looking car out there on the road, especially under 100k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just sold the 997TT. Want something different. Under 70k, suggestions?