997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche Torque Vectoring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 AM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Porsche Torque Vectoring

What does it do for me??? When does one need it?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Um..... What? Where did you find that. Sounds to me like a "Gernglish" lost in translation. Kinda like when the work shop manual tells me to inspect a gas tank with a "torch".

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You may want to edit your post.

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
so the *** wont come around on ya.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
Um..... What? Where did you find that. Sounds to me like a "Gernglish" lost in translation. Kinda like when the work shop manual tells me to inspect a gas tank with a "torch".
Sorry, you lost me there! Thanks for constructive post anyway...

Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
W1N
Originally Posted by bbywu
You may want to edit your post.
Thanks! Is it really worth the money for daily use?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by W1N
Buy the new February EVO magazine, there is a whole column about it:

It says the PTV is a cheeky little option that comprises a conventional LSD(a chieves 22 percent lockup under power and 27 percent in overrun) alongside software that uses info on steering angle, throttle position to break indicidual rear wheel to help trim lines through corners.

The say that on road it only works at high speeds as there is so much grip to go with anyway. On track the cars natural instinct to push wide in a turn is calmed. Then again it stops a driver from getting the car into delibarate over or understeer.

At the end they say if you intend to order an ultimate all-weather all condition car, take it.

Hope this helps.

Your old car looks also nice. I am taking an educated guess in saying that its white?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 AM
W1N
Originally Posted by kip
Buy the new February EVO magazine, there is a whole column about it:

It says the PTV is a cheeky little option that comprises a conventional LSD(a chieves 22 percent lockup under power and 27 percent in overrun) alongside software that uses info on steering angle, throttle position to break indicidual rear wheel to help trim lines through corners.

The say that on road it only works at high speeds as there is so much grip to go with anyway. On track the cars natural instinct to push wide in a turn is calmed. Then again it stops a driver from getting the car into delibarate over or understeer.

At the end they say if you intend to order an ultimate all-weather all condition car, take it.

Hope this helps.

Your old car looks also nice. I am taking an educated guess in saying that its white?
You're right!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cuemaster
so the *** wont come around on ya.
Just for the fun of discussion here: PTV actually does the opposite of this. PTV promotes oversteer by braking inside rear wheel; as such, in a way it DOES make the "*** come out on you."

Interestinglty enough, your statement is still true, but only indirectly. I would assume the way PTV saves a driver is by reducing understeer/push and rotating the rear of the car out in corners, it prevents said driver from lifting/braking mid corner.

To OP: No brainer yes to this option. PTV is cheap and seen in other cars as well, and is here to stay IMHO. It's the one option (plus dynamic engine mounts) that I wish for my 997.1 Turbo (don't care too much for PDK).

Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cannga
Just for the fun of discussion here: PTV actually does the opposite of this. PTV promotes oversteer by braking inside rear wheel; as such, in a way it DOES make the "*** come out on you."

Interestinglty enough, your statement is still true, but only indirectly. I would assume the way PTV saves a driver is by reducing understeer/push and rotating the rear of the car out in corners, it prevents said driver from lifting/braking mid corner.

To OP: No brainer yes to this option. PTV is cheap and seen in other cars as well, and is here to stay IMHO. It's the one option (plus dynamic engine mounts) that I wish for my 997.1 Turbo (don't care too much for PDK).
+1 perfect answer, ditto

Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
it sounds fancy!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
biggest problem with gen1 tt is understeer. prob only reason i'd swap for 7 gt2.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by W1N
Auto Motor und sport tested cars and in a snowy uphil 5% the 911 t pdk was the slowest.

It was 0-80 (traction control on/off) in 13,4/11,3 sec (this was with a car that had Torque Vectoring) vs Audi S4! in 9,5/8,9 sec...GTR BLACK 10,9/12,2 BMW X6M 9,5/9,2, Mitsubishi Evo 9,4/8,3

On the other hand on a flat surface:

In the snow on a flat surface:
911 turbo pdk 0-100 7,2sec is good in comparison with GTR 7.5 Lamborghini Gallardo 8,9 Audi ttrs 8,1, Subaru impreza 8,8, Mitsubishi Evo 8,6.

The funny thing is both tests were made with the same car as the pictures have the same license plate!!??

It is hard to tell whether this option had anything to do with these results or not...

Last edited by kip; 01-24-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:56 AM
darmawaa is infamous around these partsdarmawaa is infamous around these parts
PTV is similar to the one used in new S65 AMG and Evo X

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kip
Auto Motor und sport tested cars and in a snowy uphil 5% the 911 t pdk was the slowest.

It was 0-80 (traction control on/off) in 13,4/11,3 sec (this was with a car that had Torque Vectoring) vs Audi S4! in 9,5/8,9 sec...GTR BLACK 10,9/12,2 BMW X6M 9,5/9,2, Mitsubishi Evo 9,4/8,3

On the other hand on a flat surface:

In the snow on a flat surface:
911 turbo pdk 0-100 7,2sec is good in comparison with GTR 7.5 Lamborghini Gallardo 8,9 Audi ttrs 8,1, Subaru impreza 8,8, Mitsubishi Evo 8,6.

The funny thing is both tests were made with the same car as the pictures have the same license plate!!??

It is hard to tell whether this option had anything to do with these results or not...
My guess here: No; it's extremely unlikely that PTV would interfere during straight line acceleration, which I assume these tests are.
PTV works in corners only. By using sensors at wheels/chassis/speedometer, or whatever, it "knows" when you are turning and applies braking to inside rear wheel.

Thanks for the interesting info. Although this test has the same relevance for most Turbo owners as my Lexus SUV's N'ring time , it makes one curious about what goes on with these various 4wd center differentials and more importantly nowadays, the software programming!