997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension change...a DIY project?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Suspension change...a DIY project?

How involved is it to change the suspension? I am pretty handy in the garage and wonder if I could install the Damptronics myself. Any unusual tools required? Any source for instructions on the project? I figure I could do everything except the alignment.

Ideas? Thoughts? References?

TIA

Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Thanks Alex. Your write ups have helped me make the decision to move to the Damptronics. I noticed that you ordered the club sport version. I was not aware of different versions. Can you explain the differences? TIA.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The F4-GA5-D598-H0 is what is sold specifically for the U.S. market 997TT. In Europe, it is referred to as the "clubsport version."

F4-GA5-D581-H0 are available for the 997TT as well. They are also made for the the Carrera 4S. They are referred to as the "standard version" in Europe.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Well Cargraphic use to say that the Damptronic kit come in normal or clubsport variants...

• GA5-D598 Sportsuspension B16 damptronic, FA+RA 15-35mm CLUBSPORT/
  • GA5-D581 Sportsuspension B16 damptronic, FA 25-35mm, RA 15-35mm /
Yup, I fitted the Clubsport version.

HOWEVER now when you go to the Bilstein site it says the D581's are for Carrera 4 and the Turbo you only have a choice of the D598 or the non-PASM PSS10 kit (GM5-D601).

So I guess everyone here with Damptronic kits are either running the Carrera 4 soft versions or the correct Turbo version.

ie. you want the D598 version (PASM compatible)

Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
ie. you want the D598 version (PASM compatible)
+1

I think an attempt at clever marketing has made it very confusing here in the US...

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Periokid
How involved is it to change the suspension? I am pretty handy in the garage and wonder if I could install the Damptronics myself. Any unusual tools required? Any source for instructions on the project? I figure I could do everything except the alignment.

Ideas? Thoughts? References?

TIA
It's a 4-5hr ordeal to install these. This is the only mod that I deferred to my shop for install since they do it all the time. For someone who has not done this before, it's a bear. I would strongly suggest you take this to a pro.

Have them set the height per your requirements then drive it for a week or so. This will allow them to settle. Then take it back and get a custom alignment. Keep in mind that they will settle some more within the next several months so take it back and have them re-check the height and make sure that all are even. I had to take mine back 2 months later as my right side was lower than the left. Adjust then check alignment once again.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
oatmealadam is infamous around these parts
If you dropped the car 20mm do you need to buy some type of adjustable camber? I just don't want to go through tires too often.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by NeilM
It's a 4-5hr ordeal to install these. This is the only mod that I deferred to my shop for install since they do it all the time. For someone who has not done this before, it's a bear. I would strongly suggest you take this to a pro.
I did suspension work on other cars but not on the turbo. I just want to see if it is much different. From what I can see, I won't even have to compress the springs.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
tranman329 is infamous around these parts
make sure you have a ball joint separator.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
The more info I gather the more I might consider having my shop do it. Some tools I do not have but it seems, from looking at Alex's photos, that I have to compress the springs. I hate doing that with my less than perfect spring compressor.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What shop are you using? I would steer clear of any dealers.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
What shop are you using? I would steer clear of any dealers.
Well Since Farnbacher is gone I'll go to TKX performance. The only dealer I would consider is Porsche of Huntington.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension change...a DIY project?