997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Australian 997.2 Turbo thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gerbs
Out of curiosity how long did your S actually take to arrive in SA from the date she was built? I've been told to allow 3 months.
Mine took a bit less than 3 months. June build - or so I was told.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM
mhh
Originally Posted by -Anton-
I think the guy up in QLD with a road registered GT would beg to differ..... but having said that, im not sure if his is LHD or RHD.
I could be wrong too. I often am.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
mhh
I just got back from a weekend in Victoria. As you know, it's been kinda wet. 3 of us drove the Great Ocean Road over from Adelaide. My Turbo S is now run in with 2,800km on the clock.

We had a ball. The GOR was huge fun with rock slides and fallen trees to contend with. The actual weather wasn't too bad - we even got some sunshine up Seymour way on Sunday.

Here are some pics taken by fellow traveller Waz.

Last edited by mhh; 09-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mhh
Mine took a bit less than 3 months. June build - or so I was told.
Why does it take that long to get your cars in the land of down under ?

Your car looks great love the photo of your going thru the water.

What are your first impressions ?

Cant wait to hear your comparison to the 458.

You are a very blessed man enjoy them in good health.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Great shots mhh. Shame about the weather.

So how did she handle the run and what do you think of the PCCB's?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 AM
mhh
The brakes are outstanding when dry but they don't like getting wet and take a moment before they bite after a soaking. Mind you, the roads were very wet. The conditions showcased the AWD benefits anyway.

The car handled the trip faultlessly. I occasionally missed the manual shift and slightly sharper steering of my old Carrera S, but the range of the Turbo's abilities is just so broad with endless overtaking grunt, better seats and a more planted feel than the Carrera. And only at the end of the trip did the car feel fully freed up. Back in city traffic again, the S has so much power away from the lights, it's hard to resist blasting off the line every time, despite looking a bit silly doing it!

Economy on the run was as good as 8.8 l/100 km when cruising very gently. Average for the total weekend which included some pretty quick running was mid/high 11's - pretty good considering the performance.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Looks like some fun was had on that trip. GOR is such an awesome road. Nice shots and looks from around the ottways? And some good number plates there too heh. Enjoy!!

Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM
mhh
I gave a mate the wheel today - the first person to drive the car other than me. He asked about the launch start but I didn't feel ready to let him loose on that - especially as the car is a virgin with no launches yet.

Anyway, instead I told him to stop the car and wait until the road was clear and just give it a decent bootful. He must have given it full throttle because the acceleration was brutal - the car felt like it was lifting its front wheels right through the 1-2 change and at the 2-3 change he buttoned off before he caught the cars in front. A kid at a bus stop near where he floored it was open-mouthed. I had an LP640 for 2 years and I've never been in a car that goes like the S - the Lambo is quick but this is in a different league.

A correction on the fuel mileage that I mentioned in my last post - the average over 2,200km was 11.2 l/100km. Given the performance it is capable of, that is amazing economy.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mhh
I gave a mate the wheel today - the first person to drive the car other than me. He asked about the launch start but I didn't feel ready to let him loose on that - especially as the car is a virgin with no launches yet.

Anyway, instead I told him to stop the car and wait until the road was clear and just give it a decent bootful. He must have given it full throttle because the acceleration was brutal - the car felt like it was lifting its front wheels right through the 1-2 change and at the 2-3 change he buttoned off before he caught the cars in front. A kid at a bus stop near where he floored it was open-mouthed. I had an LP640 for 2 years and I've never been in a car that goes like the S - the Lambo is quick but this is in a different league.

A correction on the fuel mileage that I mentioned in my last post - the average over 2,200km was 11.2 l/100km. Given the performance it is capable of, that is amazing economy.
Sounds like the Eagle was ready to take off

Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 AM
After a long wait my Ice Blue Metallic Turbo S turned up at the dealership today. I've attached a photo sent to me by the dealer. More happy snaps to follow. If all goes to plan I will pick it up next week when I get home.

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Nice one Gerbs! So the big day has finally arrived....or should I say nearly. Love to see more pics after pre delivery.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
After a long wait my Ice Blue Metallic Turbo S turned up at the dealership today. I've attached a photo sent to me by the dealer. More happy snaps to follow. If all goes to plan I will pick it up next week when I get home.
Very Nice. I would go home now more pics when you can.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
mhh
Big congrats, gerbs!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Here are a few more sneak peeks that my son sent me. Not sure who's more excited.

Attached Images      
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
mhh
Here are a few more sneak peeks that my son sent me. Not sure who's more excited.
Hang on tight to those keys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Australian 997.2 Turbo thread