997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I understand that the stock pdk turbo has less lag than the stock 07-09. Do the modded 07-09 cars have significantly less lag than the stock turbo? e.g. ECU and exhaust upgrades.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
roushraven is infamous around these parts
Exciting stuff; looking forward to the results.

-RR

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Todd, thank you! Driving the VW is getting old.... cant wait to see what you and John can squeeze out of this one. Good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
I just got back to AZ after a long week on the road with the new car. I left my good friends at Sharkwerks facility last night in Freemont and arrived in Costa Mesa late last night. This morning I met with our performance partner and So. Cal distributor RSS / Stuttgart Performance. For those who live in the LA / Orange County area, and have not visited their facility, these guys are the real deal. Mike and Brian are very knowledgeable and great people to work with. Geoff, the owner is a true Porschephile and has one of the nicest and rarest Porsche collections I have seen. It is worth the drive to go and check them out especally for any performance upgrades.

From there it was another ~400 miles to AZ. Here are a few photos from the drive:

Snow on the mountains. Photo taken in Riverside, CA

Outside Palm Springs:

More Snow, outside Palm Springs

Odometer at 997 miles.

Odometer at 1000 miles

So now that there is just over 1000 miles on the car, I can feel that the engine and transmission are much more alive now than when I first took delivery with 12 miles on it. The car is definitely faster and the shifting is more crisp. I will be testing the car on our AWD dyno tomorrow to see what the baseline is before testing the software that I have been working on. More tomorrow.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 01-29-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NeilM
good seeing and chatting with you today Todd. Looking forward to your future updates on this. Also, thanks to you and Alex for flashing my CTT. Huge difference for sure!

Have a safe drive back to 'zona. See you again very soon.

P.S. who's that good looking guy with the white hat in the background? :-)
Hello Neil, great chatting with you as well. Good to finally meet you. Glad you are liking the CTT. I made it home safe We will catch up next time I am up in Nor Cal

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 2704857" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=middle>jags911tt</TD><TD class=alt1>Todd

was that the switcher on the ecu?

Jag

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Todd was that the switcher on the ecu?

Jag
Yes, you will have yours next week after Alex gets back from his visit here.

LUISGT3,
Sick. Can't wait to see you break some more records with this one.
LOL, Thanks Luis

WilliamP997,

Very nice. I can't wait to see you guys work your magic on this new platform. I get my PDK turbo any day and I will be sure to get in touch with you for some mods.
Sounds good

Racer_eX,

Hey Todd,

Long time no see. (see sig at bottom)

Any way, I just picked up my 2010 TT last weekend. Anxious to see what you guys do with the ECU.

I noticed that you mentioned using an outside of the car flash as a way to avoid detection. But that got me thinking. What happens if the dealer needs to flash an update? Does the EVO flash then need to be reloaded? If so, how would that be handled now that I am in So Cal.

Best,

DV
(Todd: I'm keeping my name off of message boards for reasons I can go into later if it matters. But, so you'll know who "DV" is, I used to live in Ancala, where you picked me up a few times to retrieve my old 996TT that was converted to stage 4gt roughly 5-6 years ago.)
Hello DV, Long time. Yes, I remember you Are you still in the San Diego area? If so, All German Auto in Escondido can get you set up once we launch our tuning program. If you are in the LA area, then Stuttgart Performance in Costa Mesa. Do you ever make it back to AZ?

If the dealer does a flash campaign on the car, our installation center can reflash the ECU, no problem. The car is getting quicker with more miles. How many miles do you have on yours? Have you noticed the same thing? Call me when you get a chance.

KPG - Todd, thank you! Driving the VW is getting old.... cant wait to see what you and John can squeeze out of this one. Good luck
Kevin, you better come back soon or you will miss out on driving this and you will have to drive the VW again. You know that all of my cars get torn apart and no one gets to drive them. I think that I need to have a chat with John about this

The Bogg

I understand that the stock pdk turbo has less lag than the stock 07-09. Do the modded 07-09 cars have significantly less lag than the stock turbo? e.g. ECU and exhaust upgrades.
The PDK turbo is good in terms of lag, or lack there of. There are still a few instances that there is some lag but it is minimized. I think that a modded 07-09 has less lag than the stock 2010 but this will change once we uncork the exhaust and make this puppy breathe

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 01-29-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Todd, with the previous engines, and all your experience, you had a pretty good idea what kind of beating the previous block could take. Any ideas how you are going to determine the limits of the new engine?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Todd, with the previous engines, and all your experience, you had a pretty good idea what kind of beating the previous block could take. Any ideas how you are going to determine the limits of the new engine?
There are 2 ways in my opinion. First is, push it as hard and as far as we did with the 996TT/997TT. If we can get to the 700 HP mark with success, we will run the car with 700 HP through our rigorous track / endurance testing. I have a few professional drivers here that are already lined up to "beat it down" once it is done. I will do the initial street, track and top speed tests before I will flip the keys to the PRO’s.

Second is, to take the engine apart and see what, if any, weak links exist. After identified, we will engineer new components to improve upon them. I think it is better to have something fail initially, so we can see what failed and why it failed before we take the engine apart. We will have to see what happens. John Bray, EVOMS Senior Technician and engine builder, already has plans for building the engine. If he was not knee deep in 6 engine builds right now, I am sure that he would be pulling the engine as I type this Lucky for me he is too busy to start another one for at least a month

Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'm looking forward to your evaluation. There has been so much said about the engine change. It'll be interesting to see what the new engine (and drivetrain, for that matter) can take.

- bob

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor
RSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond repute
EVOMSit Tuning

Todd, thanks for coming by, great to see you as usual! Looking forward to the progress of your tuning program, it will be interesting to see the performance envelope of the DFI TT motor.

RSSmike

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
I just got back to AZ after a long week on the road with the new car. I left my good friends at Sharkwerks facility last night in Freemont and arrived in Costa Mesa late last night. This morning I met with our performance partner and So. Cal distributor RSS / Stuttgart Performance. For those who live in the LA / Orange County area, and have not visited their facility, these guys are the real deal. Mike and Brian are very knowledgeable and great people to work with. Geoff, the owner is a true Porschephile and has one of the nicest and rarest Porsche collections I have seen. It is worth the drive to go and check them out especally for any performance upgrades.

From there it was another ~400 miles to AZ. Here are a few photos from the drive:

Snow on the mountains. Photo taken in Riverside, CA

Outside Palm Springs:

More Snow, outside Palm Springs

Odometer at 997 miles.

Odometer at 1000 miles

So now that there is just over 1000 miles on the car, I can feel that the engine and transmission are much more alive now than when I first took delivery with 12 miles on it. The car is definitely faster and the shifting is more crisp. I will be testing the car on our AWD dyno tomorrow to see what the baseline is before testing the software that I have been working on. More tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Dyno Testing Complete

I spent some time on the dyno today with the new turbo. Since this is the first time dyno testing the new platform, I spent a solid 4 hours data logging AFR, intake temps, water/oil temps, boost pressure, EGT's, etc to see how all of these variables affect the power. The car is pretty consistent in terms of power delivery but is still very temperature dependent. After about 35 dyno pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, I was able to decipher the data and get the car to make very consistent repeatable power. The highest power was ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ. The average power was in the 480 Range. There was very little difference in power with or without sport mode. Overall I am VERY impressed with the power and I think that Porsche has under rated this one.

For comparison, listed below are some other stock power figures from our same AWD dyno:<O</O

997.1 TT puts down ~438 AWHP and ~431 AWTQ to the wheels
997 GT2 puts down ~476 AWHP and ~466 AWTQ to the wheels
997.2 TT DFI puts down ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ to the wheels

Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
How come the 997tt.2 takes nearly 2 seconds more to reach 186mph than the 997tt.1 if the power is "underrated" compared to the 997tt.1

Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
When we went up that hill near me it certainly felt like it had some good power:P Under-rated is good!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
woo hoo

For comparison, listed below are some other stock power figures from our same AWD dyno:<o></o>

Thats crazy ... 490 at the wheels? SICK SICK SICK. Any way to tell if the 490 AWTQ was with the 10 sec boost from the sports chrono package?

Btw what was the temp difference between these 3 dynos?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
The AWHP you posted is on par with a 997.1TT with a good exhaust+tune combination...which runs ~11 0-200 km/hr. So it begs the question...0-200 km/h times posted from European magazines of the 997.2TT is also ~11 seconds. How much of this is PDK efficiency, how much of this is simply more power?

Last edited by bbywu; 02-01-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
I spent some time on the dyno today with the new turbo. Since this is the first time dyno testing the new platform, I spent a solid 4 hours data logging AFR, intake temps, water/oil temps, boost pressure, EGT's, etc to see how all of these variables affect the power. The car is pretty consistent in terms of power delivery but is still very temperature dependent. After about 35 dyno pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, I was able to decipher the data and get the car to make very consistent repeatable power. The highest power was ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ. The average power was in the 480 Range. There was very little difference in power with or without sport mode. Overall I am VERY impressed with the power and I think that Porsche has under rated this one.

For comparison, listed below are some other stock power figures from our same AWD dyno:<O</O

WOW...this new 997.2, stock for stock is a beast! Thank you very much for this info! Good luck on testing this bad boy's limits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!