997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
joeTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports

Odometer at 1000 miles

So now that there is just over 1000 miles on the car, I can feel that the engine and transmission are much more alive now than when I first took delivery with 12 miles on it. The car is definitely faster and the shifting is more crisp. I will be testing the car on our AWD dyno tomorrow to see what the baseline is before testing the software that I have been working on. More tomorrow.

I've got about 1000 miles on mine also now, and while the car has livened up somewhat, I still find it far less "sharp/crisp" than I'd like in terms of how quickly full boost builds up, and the time lag from manually requesting an upshift and the upshift actually happening (the actual shift speed is fine, I only am concerned about the time lag).
Hopefully, as you study and modify the software, you'll find a way to sharpen the refelexes up a bunch to reduce overall system delays.
Thanks and good luck with it.
Joe

Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
In the end shifting latency is usually hardware related, but who knows what can be done until the Evom's crew deciphers the beast.

Originally Posted by joeTurbo
I've got about 1000 miles on mine also now, and while the car has livened up somewhat, I still find it far less "sharp/crisp" than I'd like in terms of how quickly full boost builds up, and the time lag from manually requesting an upshift and the upshift actually happening (the actual shift speed is fine, I only am concerned about the time lag).
Hopefully, as you study and modify the software, you'll find a way to sharpen the refelexes up a bunch to reduce overall system delays.
Joe

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Well that 490 x 490 explains why I was so impressed in the saddle. The off the line performance is the best of any Porsche I have ever been in. WOT with the PDK the shift to second and third happens so quick the 0-60 performance was amazing. I also like in sport plus mode the revs are always were you want them to be for best performance. I am a die hard manual guy and the new PDK has got me thinking of converting.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
M-M
M-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the rough
997 GT2 puts down ~476 AWHP and ~466 AWTQ to the wheels
997.2 TT DFI puts down ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ to the wheels

I don´t buy that 997.2TT has more HP then 997 GT2. Look at 0-300kph times. 997.2TT is very fast to 200kph then it has no chance to keep up with GT2. Porsche would not make the TT with more HP then GT2.

Last edited by M-M; 01-30-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joeTurbo
Joe
I agree 100%. The PDK shifts hard (in a good way) in some instances. Though sometimes it is a bit lazy especially in down shifting. The delay I have noticed is not a mechanical issue with the transmission. It is a delay in time from when you hit the paddle to shift to the time the electrical signal actually starts the shift. The transmission is shifting quick, its a electrical delay to make the shift happen. This is something that I will be looking into to try and make more precise.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M-M
997 GT2 puts down ~476 AWHP and ~466 AWTQ to the wheels
997.2 TT DFI puts down ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ to the wheels

I don´t buy that 997.2TT has more HP then 997 GT2. Look at 0-300kph times. 997.2TT is very fast to 200kph then it has no chance to keep up with GT2.
The big problem here is our fuel quality. The stock GT2 had problems during our testing due to the octane of fuel that we have available. The 997.2 DFI TT is much better at laying down consistent power on the dyno with our fuel. I would agree with you the GT2 most likely makes more power with EU RON fuel but not with US 91/92 octane $hit fuel. The larger displacement and higher compression makes a big difference with producing more TQ in the lower RPM range compared to the GT2. The DFI seems to be much better at compensating for the lack of octane compared to the Gen 1 997TT.
<O
BTW, I am calling it like it is as compared to other tests that we have made under the same conditions. Our tests are different than what you will find in Europe because we have to constantly fight a fuel issue that EU tuners don’t have to worry about. One caveat to our GT2 tests is they were conducted in the summer here which will influence the data for the baseline tests. On a different note, I would much rather be driving your GT2.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM
M-M
M-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the rough
Ok then I understand, I think US RON fuel 91/92 is like unleaded 95 in EU, GT2 should be driven on 98 or higher.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
And don't forget the GT2 is lighter and 2WD so power isn't everything

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
M-M
Originally Posted by sharkster
And don't forget the GT2 is lighter and 2WD so power isn't everything
Never thought a heard that from a tuner 997.2TT with PDK is fast but power is everything after 62mph, soon I get my car back with RS tuning Stage 3 and I will leave the 997.2TT in the mirror

Correct me if I am wrong but 997 GT2´s ECU changes boost and ignition if the octane is to low like RON 91/92 to protect the engine.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM
joeTurbo is infamous around these parts
I agree 100%. The PDK shifts hard (in a good way) in some instances. Though sometimes it is a bit lazy especially in down shifting. The delay I have noticed is not a mechanical issue with the transmission. It is a delay in time from when you hit the paddle to shift to the time the electrical signal actually starts the shift. The transmission is shifting quick, its a electrical delay to make the shift happen. This is something that I will be looking into to try and make more precise.
THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!!
Finally someone else with exposure to other cars (to comapre to), that has noticed what was obvious to me as soon as I drove my 2010 PDK. (Others on the forum have been trying to convince me that my car was unique, or that I was imagining this since I first reported this on the forum).
Please help fix it - its driving me crazy! It dramatically detracts from the fun factor and potential of this otherwise great powertrain.
( I hate to admit it, but after driving the PDK daily for 2 weeks, I put the Porsche on my winter storage lift, and got out my GT-R to have some fun).

Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Car looks good...I cant wait to see you & John do your magic. Bring it to the mile lets see how it does . It souds like it can do very well for a stock car.

Tom

Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
dg123 has a spectacular aura aboutdg123 has a spectacular aura about
cant wait to c this

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Todd Z, can you post the baseline dyno sheets for the 997.1 vs the 997.2. I would love to see that. Thanks

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
WOW...this new 997.2, stock for stock is a beast! Thank you very much for this info! Good luck on testing this bad boy's limits.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Racer_eX is infamous around these parts
First Impression/Dyno Results

Hello DV, Long time. Yes, I remember you Are you still in the San Diego area? If so, All German Auto in Escondido can get you set up once we launch our tuning program. If you are in the LA area, then Stuttgart Performance in Costa Mesa. Do you ever make it back to AZ?

If the dealer does a flash campaign on the car, our installation center can reflash the ECU, no problem. The car is getting quicker with more miles. How many miles do you have on yours? Have you noticed the same thing? Call me when you get a chance.
I am still in San Diego. Glad to hear that All German is still an EVOMS dealer. FWIW, I still have less than 300 miles on it. So I haven't noticed any change in performance yet. But already it feels exceptionally fast, much faster than the quoted HP/TQ figures.

I spent some time on the dyno today with the new turbo. Since this is the first time dyno testing the new platform, I spent a solid 4 hours data logging AFR, intake temps, water/oil temps, boost pressure, EGT's, etc to see how all of these variables affect the power. The car is pretty consistent in terms of power delivery but is still very temperature dependent. After about 35 dyno pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, I was able to decipher the data and get the car to make very consistent repeatable power. The highest power was ~490 AWHP and ~490 AWTQ. The average power was in the 480 Range. There was very little difference in power with or without sport mode. Overall I am VERY impressed with the power and I think that Porsche has under rated this one.
I knew as soon as I hit WOT the first time (and second time to make sure I wasn't imagining it) that Porsche had underrated the power on this model. It feels like it pulls harder than the 996 Stage 4GT you built for me several years ago.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
We have been tuning the new 997.2 for the past few days and have made some significant progress with power gains as well as working on the OBDII port flashing. Here are more details:

Power: We have been tuning non stop and we are getting acquainted with the ECU and its functions. So far, we have the power up about +35 AWHP and +45 AWTQ on 91 octane fuel We will be finalizing the software tomorrow on the dyno and begin our street / track testing. I will post dyno plots tomorrow of the before and after. Once we get this stage 1 file tested, the car will be fitted with our ClubSport headers and sport exhaust with HJS catalysts. We also have a few more goodies that are nearly completed as well which will be added to the car for testing. More tomorrow

OBDII Port Flashing: We have been working on a secure way to transfer the performance file through the OBD port for a while now. Today I tested our Beta OBDII flashing tool on the DFI turbo and it worked great. We still have some work to do to make sure that the data transfer is secure, safe and bug free. We will not release it until it is perfect. Our current method of bench flashing is still the most secure way to upload the performance file but new methods are right around the corner

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!