997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Heat proof cloth on headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Question Heat proof cloth on headers

Hi,

i have never heard anyone in this forum doing this modd. I know a lot of people with turbocharged bikes and cars where they use some kind of heatproof cloth on their headers, as they keeping the heat inside the headers the air expands more and results to quicker spool and more power. What do you guys think?

That cloth looks like Kevlar but white in color

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
I'd coat it before I wrapped the headers.
http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html

Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
I've thought the same thing. The big turbos on my boat diesels are wrapped and it reduces the heat stress on nearby components. Also keeps you safe from burns when down there checking on stuff.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I think Mark (Markski) did some testing on both ceramic coatings and wraps and found no power increase.

The only coating I am aware of that provides improved thermodynamics is Swaintech coating the intercoolers, which improves efficiency (see cjv, sharkster, EVOMs old thread.)

Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Agreed, I used this on my race Ducatis. The reports of power increases/benefits are exaggerated/non-existent. The main benefit is lowering heat near suspension components. For a non-track only vehicle you have problems with retained moisture, maintaining the wrap, etc. Ceramic coating would be much better for street vehicle, but likely you don't need either.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
We have found that coating our exhaust and headers got us up to 45% decrease in radiant heat, but power gains were small.