997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just Can't Pull The Trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
I felt a little uneasy when I sold my 1996 Carrera with 30,000 miles, original owner(last of air cooled 911) and went looking for a 2007 Turbo. This was going to be a weekend car only. I got 38K for my '96 but still had to come up with 64K once I bought my Turbo. Out the door was 102K after tax, registration fees, etc. This was my first time spending over 100K for a car and I questioned my sanity. I then said to myself that I could afford the car, worked hard for the money and I really enjoy owning and driving a Porsche. Even my wife said to go for it, "you only live once". You don't want to grow old thinking that you should have or could have gotten one. Just do it and don't look back. By the way, fastest car I have ever owned, the Turbo acceleration is breathtaking...you will see

Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
If you have the financial means, then it's just a matter of getting over that psychological hump of parting with that much cash in one fell swoop. Trust me, I can relate to your position. I'm a relative cheap skate (not to say you are) when it comes to daily expenditures. I'm paying mortgages on 2 homes and a wife to support. I make a comfortable living but am no means 'rich'.
But tonight, I took the freshly washed TT out of its single bay garage, fired it up and took my wife to dinner. As soon as I parked the car, a kid, probably 11 or 12 came up, gave me the thumbs up and started taking pictures Now I don't go looking to affirm my purchase by having kids oogle my car, but it doesn't hurt
When we drove home, I did a few 3rd gear pulls on the highway at full boost. Wife giggling in the passenger seat saying "I love whooshing sound of the turbos." It started to rain pretty hard, so the car is sitting dirty again, but tonight was sooooo worth it.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
It is a big step to spend over $75,000 on a car.

I always drove vettes, Z's and Rx7s which cost around $30,000 in the 70's and 80's.

I dreamt about a P car for years but just couldnt justify the price.

Would I get 3 times the satisfaction from a P car vs a vette? I didnt know if I would but was willing to take the chance.

In 1995 I just plunged into a new 993 for approx $82,000 and decided it was well worth it. The day I picked my GR 993 up was probably one of the most exciting days of my life since it was my first P Car. The others were nice but nothing bested the wait and delivery of that 993.

Just do it if you can afford it. Great that you can start off with a TT. I had to work my way up the sticker shock timeline and it took 12 years to get to the twin turbo.

Sometimes we have to make a impetuous buy and I am glad I did with each of my Porsches.

Good luck. I would do it if I were you and you have the coin.

Cabman

Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
You own your own home, no debt, financially in a good position, you're anguishing daily--it will be just a matter of time so if you find a good deal now, I'd jump on it. These cars are pretty much for entertainment value, albeit expensive. If you can affford it, you won't regret it. Buy a used one and you can always resell it. Nothing like owning a turbo.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
If you can afford why not? If you decide you made a mistake after owning it for a few months sale it and get your money back less a couple $
I have a friend who did this. He decided at first to lease the car placing boundaries to it . He never enjoyed the car .

He could easily afford it but it never sat comfortably with him. After one year it disturbed him so much that he traded in upside down on his lease and bought a cheaper car. He's happier now. I don't understand it but I respect that how he and I view the car is different.

BTW --that car sat on a used car lot for over a year . It was in impeccable shape and during that time the price plunged so much that the dealership sold it for a loss . He could have bought it back for less than what he was given in trade, and far less than his lease buyout. I had many discussions about it with him .

The day it sold I had forgotten all about the car but I got an e mail from him. It was one sentence saying that they sold his car.

I don't know if it was harder for him to buy the car , stare at it and not enjoy it for a year, trade the car, or watch it sit on the used car lot .

Maybe he should have just never looked at it at all.

Thse cars are not for everyone . It doesn't matter if one can afford it. It's how he feels about the car and how it fits into his life.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Saleh 911 is infamous around these parts
If u just know what I went through to get my C2s… <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
It got to where I returned my airline tickets to London (2weeks vacation) just to insure the car.. I barely had any EXTRA money… <o></o>
Now I wish I bought last year..<o></o>
Remember u always can SELL the car ,, which is u won`t

wish u all LUCK <o></o>

Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
bcarroll01 is infamous around these parts
To me I don't think it has anything to do with the money, I think it is the baby on the way that could be making him uneasy. OP I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong just a thought.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Why won't you start with something like a slightly used 911S? It will be 75% as much fun for half the money and you will also feel more comfortable owning it. If it's not enough, you can always trade it in for a turbo.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Counterpoint
If you want it,get it.... However, with an expanding family on the way, making less than 100k,(op's admission), I know things suddenly get expensive in a hurry. That 'almost 100k job' may not seem like enough anymore, I'm sure you'll want a bigger house too, then a large investment in a car could be a source of resentment in the future. Barely swinging it financially and easily affording it are two very different things. I've been there, maybe you should wait until you're good and ready.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Redmist is infamous around these partsRedmist is infamous around these parts
I was there

I had the same situation. No debt, house paid for (one of them anyway), not rich but "comfortable". I used to spen hours everyday on the internet looking at eBay, Edmunds, duPont Registry, etc. I would see stuff I liked and would imagine myself in various of the TTs I saw. My daughter and my wife would tease me about it. I just couldn't make myself spend the money to actualize my dream. Finally, my wife said that all the time I was spending dreaming could be spent driving. She was right. I "accidentally" made a high bid on a 2008 in November. I love !

Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i've also wanted a tt for a very long time and could swing it financially, but just don't feel like now is the time...for me. i agree that you have to feel totally comfortable in your decision, not just now but in a couple of years as your lifestyle sounds like it might be about to change..as might your view on the car. i like the idea that others have said about possibly getting a 996 tt instead. there are nice ones in the $40's these days..that's the price of an acura! less money at risk, less of a potential issue if things change....just my thinking, and good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 AM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Go for it. If you don't you'll regret it.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
I was in the same boat as you just a week ago. But today i pulled the trigger and bought my tt finally. I bought a 2010tt. I shelled out 160k today. I'm no millionaire. I'm just an "ordinary" guy. I know exactly how you feel. You really only live once. You will regret it later if you don't. If you have the financial stability, go for it. You just have to get over the initial hump. Which i finally did today and took home my baby. I'm grateful that i did. Trust me. You only live once.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
If you can afford then go for it. But it's not just the price of admission, the turbo cars can be expensive to maintain down the road.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
You only live once!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just Can't Pull The Trigger