997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just Can't Pull The Trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Just a follow up to so many of the great comments...
  1. Certainly the new-parent "thing" plays a part in this decision for me. I guess I worry that buying a dream car changes ones lifestyle somehow. I wish I knew if having a baby around cuts dramatically into weekend fun time. AND... how much weekend fun time is needed in the car to make the purchase make sense? I'd hate to have a car spend 99% of its life in the garage and not on the road.
  2. I have no plans to move out of my home anytime soon. Its plenty big enough for an extra person and I've got way too much sweat equity here.
  3. There were some suggestions to look at a 996 Turbo or 997 S models. Truthfully, the 996's just seem to be worlds apart from the 997 models. And the 997 non-Turbo's just dont look agressive enough. Its funny how the spoiler and side intakes really appeal to me in such a way that I wouldnt consider a anything other than a Turbo simply because of looks. The performance speaks for itself but it's the looks that kill.
  4. GT-R: Blah... drove one. Too abusive to be an enjoyable car IMHO.
  5. "Cars are an emotional decision, not a rational one." So true. I've read that buying a car of this calibur is the most irrational thing a man can do. I consider myself a very rational person hence my debate (heart vs. brain).
  6. Long term maintenance is probably not a huge concern. I've researched this a fair amount and to me its acceptable and do-able.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep checking in.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
  1. Certainly the new-parent "thing" plays a part in this decision for me. I guess I worry that buying a dream car changes ones lifestyle somehow. I wish I knew if having a baby around cuts dramatically into weekend fun time. AND... how much weekend fun time is needed in the car to make the purchase make sense? I'd hate to have a car spend 99% of its life in the garage and not on the road.
  2. I have no plans to move out of my home anytime soon. Its plenty big enough for an extra person and I've got way too much sweat equity here.
  3. There were some suggestions to look at a 996 Turbo or 997 S models. Truthfully, the 996's just seem to be worlds apart from the 997 models. And the 997 non-Turbo's just dont look agressive enough. Its funny how the spoiler and side intakes really appeal to me in such a way that I wouldnt consider a anything other than a Turbo simply because of looks. The performance speaks for itself but it's the looks that kill.
  5. "Cars are an emotional decision, not a rational one." So true. I've read that buying a car of this calibur is the most irrational thing a man can do. I consider myself a very rational person hence my debate (heart vs. brain).
  6. Long term maintenance is probably not a huge concern. I've researched this a fair amount and to me its acceptable and do-able.
Buying a dream car won't change your lifestyle, per se, but having a child will. Family is first, so any hesitation at this point whether it is financial or otherwise, I would hold off until your ready to come off the fence. It will be easier to put it out of your mind than to deal with buyer's regret and all that comes with it while starting a family.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
GEO 450 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Counterpoint
If you want it,get it.... However, with an expanding family on the way, making less than 100k,(op's admission), I know things suddenly get expensive in a hurry. That 'almost 100k job' may not seem like enough anymore, I'm sure you'll want a bigger house too, then a large investment in a car could be a source of resentment in the future. Barely swinging it financially and easily affording it are two very different things. I've been there, maybe you should wait until you're good and ready.
I totally agree, sounds like you are in a great financial position to start a family, but kids get expensive quick and are around for a long time. In today's financial climate it is rare to be in the position you are in. IMHO I would keep my self liquid and be ready for that unsuspecting rainy day. I waited a long time for mine, I am 50, lucky enough to pay cash and can afford one with no issues. Lot of good ideas here from the others, less financial commitments for a lot of other cars in the used car market right now to satisfy the car bug.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think it is the baby on the way that could be making him uneasy.
That 'almost 100k job' may not seem like enough anymore, I'm sure you'll want a bigger house too, then a large investment in a car could be a source of resentment in the future.

Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Even the 40 year old virgin had things so simple until the responsibilities of adulthood crept in. It's understanding that you's feel overwhelmed .

Turn on any TV and the glimpse of the modern day family almost wreaks of a sense of entitlement. It seems the message in media is all about "staying together as a family" but never about doing anything for ones self. In fact the person who places his needs as a priority is labeled "selfish" . The wife wants more. The kid wants more and even the guy who has it all -- "the bigger house" , and all the toys has to work harder at the expense of time for himself.

It almost seems like a culture promotes defining ones self on the "resentment" judgement of others . If not resentment then it plays into guilt tripping that individual into believing that it's his responsibility to place others above himself and carry the full burden alone.

The bottom line is he did "pull the trigger" on getting his wife pregnant and that child never asked to be born . So he made the choice but one can't blame him for being scared about what may lie in his future. I don't think he'll buy the car but I do think he might view this as the last opportunity to cash in on that childhood dream before "things get expensive".

It sounds to me that this car is really an escape from his fears . Timing is everything and maybe with time he could have that car . Maybe his wife might see his feelings and help out by working and financially contributing so that they can have the best of both together.

So just wait. Talk to her about it and see how she feels . Maybe both of you need to be on the same page so that both of you can step up together.

Good luck.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-07-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Wloiacano is infamous around these parts
If it does not strap you and your wife is cool with it then do it. Took me many years to pull the trigger on a 997 TT. Lots of money but I guess I figured I worked for it and enjoy it. For me it was a dream into reality, and keeps me motivated to keep bustin my tail.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Maybe think of it as one thing off your bucket list. You cant go wrong with a turbo or a C2\4 S. They are a extremely well built German cars. Easily a daily driver. Easy to maintain and cheap. Tires can be pricy, but any performance car tires are that way. With the AWD you can get snowtires and drive it in the winter. It doesnt get any better. With the used prices in the 80's for 07 CPO cars with less than 15k miles you just cant go wrong. Treat yourself.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
Being a parent soon is all the reason why you need to get the 997 soon, it's a 2-plus! Sounds like you have a financial plan for it and have done your dues by waiting for 20 yrs. There is nothing that calms a crying child more than the soothing sound of a 997 and the security of a baby seat fitted to an adaptive sports seat. With 2+, you can have 2 more kids and take all of them out while your wife take a break at home. You'll know what I mean by that soon.

If you wait longer, your choices will soon narrow to whether it's a TT or a S on the wallpaper in the kids room. You may also not have the stamina needed to fully experience the car because the 997, around its limit, will put a lot of strain on the body. Moreover, do you really want to wait till you have teenagers around to have a Porsche in your garage?

Lastly, prices are good now because supply still generally outstrips demand for these cars now. It's a better use of your $95k now than if you wait to do the same later and the enjoyment you get out of it now -- priceless.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Wow, after reading about all the "ordinary" guys, I have to chuckle. If a financial adviser were to look at my balance sheet, he'd probably fall on the floor laughing. And yet, I had dreamed about a turbo for 30 years myself, and when some lucky turn of events put some money in my hands, I bought it. No one can ever take away the pleasure and friends I have made from taking my car to the track and going ***** to the wall like all the racers I have watched since my youth. I don't own a house, or have a wife and kids, but I have always been able to do the things that others told me I couldn't afford or just plain couldn't or shouldn't do. Hey, I might end up living in a tent in my old age, but I have lived my dreams and done things that most will never experience. You are already experiencing negative emotion about this purchase and you haven't even done it. I don't think the car is for you. Buy a nice poster and frame it. Then it will be with you without spending your nickel.

Last edited by landjet; 02-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irysfan
Being a parent soon is all the reason why you need to get the 997 soon
Exactly what I said to myself. No kids in the roost yet, but once they come, things only get more expensive. Would be much harder, if not impossible to rationalize later. Possibly my one and last chance to buy that 'it' car for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
I waited about 28 yrs. to get my first 911. I absolutely lusted after one after seeing a guards red coupe up close and personal for the first time. After a series of sports cars, family cars, and too many trucks to count, I finally decided it was time to do something for me, and that I deserved the 911 experience. I found out that the Porsche experience can start with something less than your ultimate choice (mine was a Turbo at the time), and still be great. My first ownership experience was just a 20 year old SC (see my pic) but what a great experience! I didn't find it to be at all unrewarding just because it wasn't my absolute dream car (Turbo). Actually, I would not trade the whole journey for anything, including the waiting years. I had more than enough smiles from ear to ear with the SC, and never needed the stereo. What a blast to run it through the many twisties we have in our area and clatter down the highway on a road trip. The power was limited, it had the clunky 915 gearbox, but everything else about it, the looks, the sound, the gocart-like handling, and more, made every outing a blast. As a bonus, it encouraged lots of interaction with all types of people, not only car guys, but everyone else too, and all of them positive and fun experiences.

I had an intense business to run at the time, along with a number of other responsibilities, and not a boatload of cash when I bought it (and it helped extract more cash out of me than I wanted it to over the next couple of years as I repaired,restored, and upgraded it!). The car actually turned out to be a great outlet to escape my business and family responsibilities when I took it out for runs, and just be in the moment. I arrived at my home or office an easier person to live and work with. Another bonus for everyone else around me!

Alas, the time came for my second child to go off to university. The logical choice to help fund this was the disposal of the 911. Even though I had spent substantial money on upgrading the car, I knew it could never be worth the amount of money that I could easily sink into it in the future if I continued restoring and enhancing it. It was a sad experience to sell the car and I have whined more than a few times to anyone who will listen about being toy-less. However, I somehow knew I would have the experience again, and this time I believe it will be even more rewarding.
Well, here I am still toyless a few years down the road, but opportunity is knocking strongly at my door once again for me to get back into the Pcar realm- probably late 2010 or early 2011. (And this time, I am thinking that gen 1 TT is the ticket, but if I have to choose otherwise, I know it will still be great.)

I'm just telling you my story, because it sounds like you have examined this inside and out like I did when I bought my 911, both telling yourself you deserve it, and likewise telling yourself it's somehow foolish and extravagant. And the nagging doubts will probably still be there if and when you actually part with your hard-earned cash. BUT THEN, you will fulfill a lifelong dream. That is truly huge! And if you discard the low state of guilt, you will enjoy it IMMENSELY.

If for some reason, like family responsibilities, job loss or other adversities, you have to part with the car, just bank a good percentage of your original purchase dollars, and realize even that can be temporary and you can get back in the game down the road (and maybe with an even-better car). On the other hand, it is easy to get caught up in the family responsibilities mode (which is important of course), which goes on for a long, long time, and never pull the trigger on your dream car. I think if you know your comfort zone with the amount of cash you can comfortably spend, and even if it means you settle for something other than the 997TT, I know you will still have a blast with the car you choose. Others on the 997TT forum have shared their realization of their dreams with you and you can feel their excitement. Check out the excitement of people in the other models' forums and you see the passion is everywhere and at different price levels. I think you can have yours too- just decide what level of Pcar will satisfy it and let go of guilt and doubt. Good luck!

Last edited by DLJ; 02-07-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
wen i bought my 1st "expensive" car i was exactly like you... restless nights hours and hours of research and test drives....the most id even spent on a car b4 that was 20k and jumping to a larger number i thought to myself why?? do i need it??...no....do i WANT it??...yes....til this day i do not regret it its my passion and personal hobby....hope this helps

Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Counterpoint
If you want it,get it.... However, with an expanding family on the way, making less than 100k,(op's admission), I know things suddenly get expensive in a hurry. That 'almost 100k job' may not seem like enough anymore, I'm sure you'll want a bigger house too, then a large investment in a car could be a source of resentment in the future. Barely swinging it financially and easily affording it are two very different things. I've been there, maybe you should wait until you're good and ready.

I agree. My view is that if you can't pay cash for a car, you can't really afford it. Hard to imagine taking out a loan for a car when you're financially responsible enough to own your house (goes w/out saying that if you decide to buy the car, get a mortgage so you can write off the interest).

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say give it a go .. Since the car's value is already low when u come to resell it u ain't goin to be losing alot, But hey its worth the experience man plus u r buying a value for money .. Compared to other luxury cars porsche has the best Rep. As far as economy drivability, maintanance .. Etc. plus if u don't get it now, When r u gettin it ? just remember the older u grow the less fun it is going be .. I'm going almost through the experience and i decided to "pull the trigger" . Just had to put in mind the same points i mentioned above and thought alot about them

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
pranqster is infamous around these parts
I do not think you are ready yet.

You have got to want the car for the performance and how it makes you feel when you are driving it. And others opinions be damned. If a car is an appliance to you then you will always be looking at the depreciation and what happened to your hard earned dollars. If you want it because of the power, the steering, the way it makes you feel as you floor the accelerator, heel and toe downshifting when you approach a corner, then you are ready.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Absolutely do not buy this car. You are so fearful at the buying process, you will be even worse at the driving level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just Can't Pull The Trigger