997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just Can't Pull The Trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 AM
AlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to all
There's some terrible advice on this thread. Am I the only one who thinks it's insane to by a $95K car making less than $100K / year??

Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlgaeHater
There's some terrible advice on this thread. Am I the only one who thinks it's insane to by a $95K car making less than $100K / year??
Without knowing the specifics of his finances, savings, and expenditures, normally it would be completely insane. But he has no debt and sones as if he's been frugal all his life (i.e. Decent savings). So I imagine he may be in a better financial situation than many owners here making 3-4, heck even 10x times that but spending like a rapper and living beyond their means.

Could be wron but sounds as if he done the research and run the numbers. If he cam comfortably spend the money, then all he has to do is 'emotionally' part with it

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Now I can see how difficult my post can be to answer. I guess I was just hoping that someone out there was in my position... someone who went through an uncommon amount of mental "back and forth" trying to make the purchase. Financially, I'm as sound as can be for my income and my year-end bonus (not included) is quite good. My wife's income is as good as mine. I know the kid thing isnt going to be cheap but I'm not terribly worried about it from a financial standpoint (God-willing the kid is healthy).

I could/would/will pay cash for the car and my father-in-law is a 40 vet at a Porsche dealer not too terribly far from here so I'd assume my services would be fairly cheap. In fact, this is one of the deciding factors for me over buying an older Ferrari 360.

One post here brought to light a part of my concern with the car purchase in general... "its my passion and personal hobby" said adamls2. I certainly understand the passion. I assume the hobby is a reference to modding the car which is probably not something I'll do to any great extent. But the question is, can a car become a hobby even if you're not modding it? Is the hobby then just washing it and then finding places to drive? And if so, is that alone worth the expense?

Oye... I hope this doesnt unleash an unholy amount of flaming!

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 02-09-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
I totally agree with the big bad attitude requirement. Grow a pair brother! I bought my GT3 when I was 25. I am not a rich guy and it kicked the crap out of my finances, but its been a riot and worth every single penny. I will be in a Lambo before I am 30 because life is too short not to go hard.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
don't forget that you can put baby seats in the back! it's obviously a very personal decision which people are coming out on both sides of. only you can decide as there is no 'right' answer for everyone. good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
jkl
jkl is infamous around these parts
Whether you mod the car or simply enjoy driving it, as long as it stirs up passion you will have plenty of enjoyment. However, if you keep weighing the expense/enjoyment ratio this will eat into the enjoyment factor.

Also, I would not put your wife's income in the picture because situations may change after a child.

Nonetheless, if this is something you have always wanted and you have established your financial position, now is a great time to start looking into opportunities.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
No. You're right. Its not sensible. I worried about affording the car (I bought used) and I make more than that a month.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
TURBO-PR is infamous around these parts
I say pull the trigger all the way. I bought my brand new 2009 Turbo I couldnt sleep thinking of how much I had spent on a car $ but the down side I only used it for 500 miles sold it because I couldnt enjoy driving a stick so much. Now I feel like Sh** because I would rather have my car back even though. The worst feeling in Life is to have something you like and sell it or not have it.

I am thinking of getting a 2010 PDK or a 2010 997 4S!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
You seem like myself; I love cars but haven't spend more than 20k on one in my life. You just have to come to terms with yourself as to how much money you are willing to spend on a sportscar. I've decided that 40k is currently my threshold. So, that means I can buy a 996 TT right now or I can just wait 3 years orso and buy a 997 TT then. I've decided to go for the latter option.

There's no shame in being frugal with money; it's most likely the reason you've done well financially. Not something the majority of Americans can say. Well done

Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
I've been lurking here for many months and I've logged about 200 hours of research to come to a disappointing conclusion.

I've wanted a 911 Turbo for nearly 20 years and since 2006-2007, I've been especially smitten with the 997 Turbo. Last year, it dawned on me that I could actually afford a late model Turbo. I saw a few 2007's that were just in my priced range ($95k or less) and the reality hit me that I could in fact put one in my garage. Since then there's been plenty of sleepless nights, a couple of test drives, and some financial analysis. Basically, I have no reason to not buy a 997 Turbo right now. My bank account and investments are reasonably healthy. My home is paid off and I have no debt. My wife is cool with any car purchase I make despite that fact that I'll soon be a dad. You gotta love her for that.

The problem is that I just cant pull the trigger. Call it insecurity. Call it greed (not wanting to part with my $). Call it stupidity. I dont know exactly what it is. I've never spent this kind of money on a car before. I've owned basic-fun cars all my life (Integra, RSX, MX-5, etc.) My current work commute is just 10 minutes and my DD is an old Toyota. I've got no reason to buy an additional car other than "I just want one." But when I think of parting with this kind of money for something that I really dont need, well... I just end up spending more time sitting on my butt looking at everyone else's cars and wishing I had one.

So surely someone will say..."Well then you just dont want one bad enough." But this just isnt true. Its a dream car for me and to be at the threshold of ownership and not doing it... it's eating me up. I just cant sign on the line. The heart says "Yes!" The brain says "No!"

Any one else have a hard time jumping into their first expensive car?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
It could be insane but what you make only matters in regards to your monthly expenditures. If I didn't have my big fat CA mortgage, I'd be rich LOL

Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
I could/would/will pay cash for the car and my father-in-law is a 40 vet at a Porsche dealer not too terribly far from here so I'd assume my services would be fairly cheap. In fact, this is one of the deciding factors for me over buying an older Ferrari 360.

One post here brought to light a part of my concern with the car purchase in general... "its my passion and personal hobby" said adamls2. I certainly understand the passion. I assume the hobby is a reference to modding the car which is probably not something I'll do to any great extent. But the question is, can a car become a hobby even if you're not modding it? Is the hobby then just washing it and then finding places to drive? And if so, is that alone worth the expense?
You don't have to mod a car for it to be a hobby. I've modded some of my cars but the joy is to drive them and enjoy the beauty of it. When I wash and wax my car and see how great it looks, it makes me happy.

Oh, and DO NOT buy a Ferrari if you're concerned about money. My neighbor is a Ferrari mechanic and the purchase price is only the entry ticket; parts/maintancance are ridiculous.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
dustman is infamous around these parts
To the OP:

I've wanted a Ferrari or Lambo for 20yrs, but waited always filling my desire with other fun/fast cars like the TT, GTR, M3's. When I hit 40yrs old and in excellent financial shape, I decided it was time to grow a pair and just get the Ferrari of my dreams - the 360. Looked forever, talked to owners and dealers, read everything....then found THE 360 Spider and test drove my first Ferrari!
After all those years building up the desire, I was absolutely crushed that I didnt like the 360...and I mean crushed. The F430 was better but still not what I expected and had built up in my mind.
I'm not discouraged though becuase some day I'll drive the Scud or Lambo 560-4 and perhaps I will instantly "know" it's for me.
So, if you just know the 911 is for you, get it. You can always sell it. But we're getting older and less able to enjoy them.
My hats off to the guys who at age 25 or whatever just go for it and make the finances barely work. Live!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
One thing that is true as well: you only live once! Doesn't mean you have to waste all your money but I always say: "if you were to get run over by a bus tomorrow, would you be happy with what you did in your life" ? That might push you over the edge

Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
SOME GREAT THOUGHTS?SUGGESTIONS:

1. Yourself: Basically, I have no reason to not buy a 997 Turbo right now.

2. 997 man: if you can afford this car and have wanted it for 20 years you are foolish not to buy one now as it is a buyers market

3. jjm4life: cars are an emotional decision, and not a rational one

4. Test jet: My commute is 1 mile and that was not part of my decision to purchase

5. 997Tturbo: you only live once.

6. Yrralis1: Thse cars are not for everyone . It doesn't matter if one can
afford it. It's how he feels about the car and how it fits into his life.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

7. Algaehater: Am I the only one who thinks it's insane to by a $95K car
making less than $100K / year??

My final thoughts: The greatest thing going for you is that your wife is for you getting what you want. But I still do not think you are ready yet. Now is not the time for you to think about a new car. Enjoy the new arrival in your family. The more time you spend with the baby, the more will be the bonding and the less you will think about that car you want to buy. The more you keep coming back to this post/website, the less the chances that you will hold back on the purchase. In my opinion, the new car will be a distraction at this time. You cannot do justice to both the baby and the new car as both need quite a bit of care, love and attention. If you are going to get one, try not to spend more than 60 to 65 K. This will minimize the buyer's regret phenomena (you are at high risk for this). If I am making less than 100K/year, unless I have ancestral wealth/property, I would not even remotely consider a 100K car. Do what is best for you and your family. Best of luck in whatever you finally decide. Let us know which way you went. We all put in a lot of thought for you. What a great group we have in 6speed. <!-- / message -->

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 02-09-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I can relate to the OP. I am hesitant to spend large amounts of money. My wife will often tell me: "geesh, if you want it so bad, just get it already, it's just money"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just Can't Pull The Trigger