997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just Can't Pull The Trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Just Can't Pull The Trigger

I've been lurking here for many months and I've logged about 200 hours of research to come to a disappointing conclusion.

I've wanted a 911 Turbo for nearly 20 years and since 2006-2007, I've been especially smitten with the 997 Turbo. Last year, it dawned on me that I could actually afford a late model Turbo. I saw a few 2007's that were just in my priced range ($95k or less) and the reality hit me that I could in fact put one in my garage. Since then there's been plenty of sleepless nights, a couple of test drives, and some financial analysis. Basically, I have no reason to not buy a 997 Turbo right now. My bank account and investments are reasonably healthy. My home is paid off and I have no debt. My wife is cool with any car purchase I make despite that fact that I'll soon be a dad. You gotta love her for that.

The problem is that I just cant pull the trigger. Call it insecurity. Call it greed (not wanting to part with my $). Call it stupidity. I dont know exactly what it is. I've never spent this kind of money on a car before. I've owned basic-fun cars all my life (Integra, RSX, MX-5, etc.) My current work commute is just 10 minutes and my DD is an old Toyota. I've got no reason to buy an additional car other than "I just want one." But when I think of parting with this kind of money for something that I really dont need, well... I just end up spending more time sitting on my butt looking at everyone else's cars and wishing I had one.

So surely someone will say..."Well then you just dont want one bad enough." But this just isnt true. Its a dream car for me and to be at the threshold of ownership and not doing it... it's eating me up. I just cant sign on the line. The heart says "Yes!" The brain says "No!"

Any one else have a hard time jumping into their first expensive car?

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 02-06-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
V-man is infamous around these parts
well big bad *** machines require big bad *** attitudes some have it some do not you will never know what you missed until you the join the club

Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
You must first come to terms with your own feelings. When in doubt it's best to do nothing which is exactly where you stand --stalemated . No one here can make up your mind for you and I can cite examples of those who stood in your shoes with opposite results . So it boils down to you and if that gut is telling you no --then maybe that's best . There will always be tomorrow , the next day, the next year and with depreciation time is on your side.
On the other hand --if talking about it here places closure on it --whether you buy it or not -- at least you will have an endpoint to the internal stress and tug of war .

I wish you the best in whatever final decision you make.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM
dg123 has a spectacular aura aboutdg123 has a spectacular aura about
i agree w wok..u live once!!!!go get it

Old 02-06-2010, 06:53 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
My reccomendation is to not buy the car unless you are 100% financially able to make the purchase without undue sacrifice. It's an expensive toy ( although a FANTASTIC TOY ) but if you have to worry about it you may not enjoy it the way you should. It would be a shame to end up regretting your purchase and ultimatley not enjoy the car. You could always wait, get yourself in a financial position to buy it later. If you are really committed to this, then delaying the gratification is the best route.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
If you can afford why not? If you decide you made a mistake after owning it for a few months sale it and get your money back less a couple $

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vpmick
My reccomendation is to not buy the car unless you are 100% financially able to make the purchase without undue sacrifice. It's an expensive toy ( although a FANTASTIC TOY ) but if you have to worry about it you may not enjoy it the way you should.
I understand what you are saying. Financially speaking, the car is no problem but I'm in a good financial position because I've not spent crazy money on anything else in my life.

The finance side of all this is tricky. I'm not ludicrously wealthy. Just comfortable really and I'm earning under $100k per year. My home is modest and I've never carried any kind of debt. So this puts me in a good position to buy if the brain could let go of the cash.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
What ever your decision, I wish you good luck. I had not considered what C4SXM5 said...if you find you're not happy with your decsion you can always sell the it...although that may be even a more difficult decision once you really drive the car and experience the thrill. They are truly awesome cars and I would encourage you to track it some so you see the real capabilities.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
try gt-r maybe?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
What about a late CPO 996 Turbo to get you into a Turbo and then you can reevaluate wether you want to make the move up to a 997 Turbo. Plus it would give you the ability to mentally relax some due to spending alot less money.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
997man is infamous around these parts
The turbo is not a car for cheap skates. If spending this kind of money on something that is going to lose value is preventing you from pulling the trigger, look at a used corvette or boxster. On the other hand if you can afford this car and have wanted it for 20 years you are foolish not to buy one now as it is a buyers market. When are you going to pull the trigger when your 70 and too old to really enjoy it ? The other day some poor guy was power sailing off the cost of Florida and was attacked and killed by sharks, you can't take it with you. Save for retirement but enjoy the ride getting there.

Last edited by 997man; 02-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Every day you wait...you loose. Sounds like you need to come to grips with the fact that today is important and sounds like you have everything in order to enjoy a Turbo with a clear conscious...my vote PULL THE TRIGGER

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
cars are an emotional decision, and not a rational one. you second guess yourself every day for not buying it. you say you can afford it. so go ahead, and dont look back.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
don't you think 20yrs of deliberation and waiting is long enough?? Do it before another 20yrs pass you by.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
That's all the reason you need right there...

PS my commute is 1 mile and that was not part of my decision to purchase.

Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
work commute is just 10
I've got no reason to buy an additional car other than "I just want one."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just Can't Pull The Trigger