997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
This Cheaper Gtr appears to have a price catch or, should i say price catch up?

Now maybe that 997tt wasnt so dear after all. And a lot more comfy and less troublesome too? Amongst many other things....

Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Jasper wont believe me when i say this but a customer of ours with less than 500 miles GTR is in the shop with electrical issues and he was telling me how his friend got stuck in his driveway with no reverse.. Ill try to get more details.. You get what you pay for..

Just got an out of warranty service on my M5 on a good will.. once again the Germans stand behind their products..

Mike

Interestingly today as I was driving in traffic I tried to catch a glimpse of how well the Nissan wears over time. Now its true that not everyone takes care of his car the same and this is simply my opinion.

The distinct visual differences between a 3-5 year old Nissan (Maxima, Sentra , Altima , etc) was significantly less appealing than the Porsches of equal age.

2009 Gtr cars regionally have asking prices in the upper 60's with sub 8K miles. see link-- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1266298304764

New they cost 85K and some were sold for ABOVE MSRP at the launch. 3 more years and no warranty I imagine they will ask in the upper 40's and close in the low 40's . Trade in will probably be in the upper 30's --maybe less.

So often price is touted as a hard pressed reason jusyifying the value of this performance car but I feel to really price the car it means considering BOTH the entrance price as well as the potential resale .

Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Interestingly today as I was driving in traffic I tried to catch a glimpse of how well the Nissan wears over time. Now its true that not everyone takes care of his car the same and this is simply my opinion.

The distinct visual differences between a 3-5 year old Nissan (Maxima, Sentra , Altima , etc) was significantly less appealing than the Porsches of equal age.

2009 Gtr cars regionally have asking prices in the upper 60's with sub 8K miles. see link-- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1266298304764

New they cost 85K and some were sold for ABOVE MSRP at the launch. 3 more years and no warranty I imagine they will ask in the upper 40's and close in the low 40's . Trade in will probably be in the upper 30's --maybe less.

So often price is touted as a hard pressed reason jusyifying the value of this performance car but I feel to really price the car it means considering BOTH the entrance price as well as the potential resale .
You want to look us some MSRP vs current value on a turbo??? Its RIDICULES to suggest that the theoretical repair cost on 5 or 6 % of the vehicles can make up the 70k price gap!!! also stop with the individual horror stories because you can find that about any car. LAST BUT NOT LEAST THESE STRICT WARRANTEE GUIDELINES AND ALL THESE VOIDED WARRANTEE ARE UNFOUNDED AND EXAGGERATED. OUR DEALERSHIP HAS 2 CERTIFIED MASTER TECHS AND WE HAVE VOIDED 0 WARRANTEE'S AND HEARD OF 0!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MSIZZLE66
You want to look us some MSRP vs current value on a turbo??? Its RIDICULES to suggest that the theoretical repair cost on 5 or 6 % of the vehicles can make up the 70k price gap!!! also stop with the individual horror stories because you can find that about any car. LAST BUT NOT LEAST THESE STRICT WARRANTEE GUIDELINES AND ALL THESE VOIDED WARRANTEE ARE UNFOUNDED AND EXAGGERATED. OUR DEALERSHIP HAS 2 CERTIFIED MASTER TECHS AND WE HAVE VOIDED 0 WARRANTEE'S AND HEARD OF 0!!!!
1) The 997S is actually the more evenly priced car with the GtR. The proportional depreciation was as it relates to MSRP in its same price class.

2) But if you must insist on 09 Turbo price to compare. A new 2009 Turbo prices at roughly 140 . 3 out of 4 are asking 136+k . http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1266299736446

I am not sure if you follow used Porsche pricing .. but i do .
Used Porsches have faced a tremendous recent up tick in price . 997.1tt cars are particularly in high demand with the Gt1 engine no longer in production and with new 2010 Turbo and Turbo S cars priced quite high. Plus the CPO program has been a ttemendous success and again warranty comes into play . Many used shoppers insist that the car have the CPO . That is because in many cases they greatly respect Porsches ability to back service repairs enough to pay the premium above a private sale.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-15-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
2) But if you must insist on 09 Turbo price to compare. A new 2009 Turbo prices at roughly 140 . 3 out of 4 are asking 136+k . http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1266299736446

I am not sure if you follow used Porsche pricing .. but i do .
Used Porsches have faced a tremendous recent up tick in price . 997.1tt cars are particularly in high demand with the Gt1 engine no longer in production and with new 2010 Turbo and Turbo S cars priced quite high. Plus the CPO program has been a ttemendous success and again warranty comes into play . Many used shoppers insist that the car have the CPO . That is because in many cases they greatly respect Porsches ability to back service repairs enough to pay the premium above a private sale.
Here's a 2010 Turbo that apparently went unsold at MSRP:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200438670501

Asking price is not always the same thing as selling price. Notice that 2 of the Turbos in your listing are under $120k, with one of them advertised as "Reduced!". For a car in such high demand with only 916 miles and the vaunted GT1 block, the price shouldn't be reduced.

One of the Turbos on your list, the cabriolet with asking price of $136,500, has options on it that would bring the total MSRP closer to $145,000. That's about a 5.8% loss on a car with only 1200 miles on it.

There are 2 GT-R's within 25 miles of that same zip code. One is listed at $71,995. With 8,895 miles, it lost 6.6% from MSRP. The other one with 4286 miles lost 3.3%

BTW, what is the powertrain warranty on the Turbo?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by Guibo
Here's a 2010 Turbo that apparently went unsold at MSRP:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200438670501

Asking price is not always the same thing as selling price. Notice that 2 of the Turbos in your listing are under $120k, with one of them advertised as "Reduced!". For a car in such high demand with only 916 miles and the vaunted GT1 block, the price shouldn't be reduced.

One of the Turbos on your list, the cabriolet with asking price of $136,500, has options on it that would bring the total MSRP closer to $145,000. That's about a 5.8% loss on a car with only 1200 miles on it.

There are 2 GT-R's within 25 miles of that same zip code. One is listed at $71,995. With 8,895 miles, it lost 6.6% from MSRP. The other one with 4286 miles lost 3.3%

BTW, what is the powertrain warranty on the Turbo?
None of the Turbos were CPO or from authorized dealerships . There were none . Those asking priced on the Gtr are also not what they close at. Even that Turbo you posted -bidding ended
Also not factored in were the discounts on the 09 Turbo Vs the GTR which did not face the same .
Some folks got 15 percent off on Turbos in 2009. Others got as much as 20 percent off on 09 C2S cars. .

Here's a comparison . A FOUR year old 2006 997S which cost 90K MSRP new can sell for 55K. That is a Porsche which is priced equally with the Gtr when new. Again .. no discounts on the Gtr .. or minimal at best.. especially in 09.

A one year old 2009 Nissan will ask in the upper 60's and close in the low 60's . I will throw out the 59K Nissan car on that list and use the majority (upper 60's) .

There's about a 8K price gap between an 09 Nissan Vs an 06 997S .
If the Nissan was that great one would think all those 60K used car shoppers would not even consider a 997S .. but it's just the opposite . They would not buy a Gtr .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-16-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Even that Turbo you posted -bidding ended
That was the whole point of posting a completed auction, guy: it ended and nobody put in a reasonable offer. It didn't sell even at MSRP. That's from an authorized dealer with full factory warranty backing. Where is this huge demand for the 2010 Turbo you're talking about?

So basically, you have nothing but conjecture about what a GT-R will sell at. You're apparently not even willing to back up the site that you yourself referenced, once you found out the actual msrp on those optioned-up cars makes the depreciation quite a bit more than you lead us to believe. Another thing you need to keep in mind is the mileage: those GT-R's traveled more miles than the 997's, yet didn't show a significant difference in depreciation. Meanwhile, I can show you an '09 Carrera S with less than 5k miles (from an authorized Porsche dealer) which failed to sell after bids couldn't top $51,100. If you're going to be comparing vehicles, try comparing apples to apples and get the real MSRP of those optioned-up Porsches before making claims about residuals. Base MSRP for a Porsche is next to useless if the owner optioned the crap out of it. It's not hard to get it up by $20k in options.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Why is the car I want not the fastest?
Your warranty sucks, so yours sucks the same. <O</O
Your car is slow, no yours is. <O</O
Your car is over priced, your car is cheap. <O</O
Your car won’t hold its value, so your car depreciates faster then mine.

<O</ODoes this about sum up the 11 pages of this thread? <O</O

Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Clairvoyance? Surely there is enough customer feedback out now to see how some gtr customers are being handled when problems strike within the 3 year warranty period. I really dont think you need a crystal ball to see what will happen outside the warranty period. If you can get your hands on a copy of this months Motor Magazine (Aus) and read the letters section, there is a very unhappy Gtr owner who wrote how he was told by Nissan that the replacement of all the disc rotors on his car was not warrantable. He went further to add how his car had done only 20,000km of country work since new only a year or so back (and not track work or city Ks he added) and was in total misbelief how Nissan totally blew him off after a great deal of arguing his case and left him with the 18 grand bill. No goodwill...no nothing. Thats right...read it for yourself. The mag also had an article on the gtr vs new 2010 gt3. You may need some tissues tho.
I'm not going to read them... As we'll NEVER get the whole story, much less - the truth. Who puts warranties on their brakes? $18k for what - brakes? Obviously some important issues have been omitted.
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Jasper wont believe me when i say this but a customer of ours with less than 500 miles GTR is in the shop with electrical issues and he was telling me how his friend got stuck in his driveway with no reverse.. Ill try to get more details.. You get what you pay for..

Just got an out of warranty service on my M5 on a good will.. once again the Germans stand behind their products..

Mike
I've gotten out-of-warranty service on my G35 - who cares? Everybody has gotten something from somebody before... I don't have to wonder about that in my GT-R yet, because that condition doesn't exist.

And the issues your customer may have experienced (especially if it is an '09 with about 10000 - 15000 miles) maybe the steering column issue. Or a TCM issue. Things happen. Some more frequently than others. Not sure what you mean by - "Jasper won't believe this" - stuff happens - to all manufacturers, of all models.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Your warranty sucks, so yours sucks the same. <o></o>
Your car is slow, no yours is. <o></o>
Your car is over priced, your car is cheap. <o></o>

<o></o>Does this about sum up the 11 pages of this thread? <o></o>
Let's not forget "Steaming pile of poo!"

And actually I retract that statemnent.

I just don't like the looks as much as anything. All else aside, I get no "wow" when I eyeball a GT-R
Anyhow, peace to all

I sincerely hope everyone has a great day today, I know I intend to!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Your warranty sucks, so yours sucks the same. <O</O
Your car is slow, no yours is. <O</O
Your car is over priced, your car is cheap. <O</O

<O</ODoes this about sum up the 11 pages of this thread? <O</O
No. Not at all...

The problem with conversations like this - is that non-owners know very little real information, and then develop their own conclusions based of their own individual speculation, that then gets reinforced by fellow non-owners.

It must be true - I read it on the interwebz.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
No. Not at all...

The problem with conversations like this - is that non-owners know very little real information, and then develop their own conclusions based of their own individual speculation, that then gets reinforced by fellow non-owners.

Note to Self. If you do not own something you can not have an opinion on it. Got it!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
No. Not at all...

It looks like a corolla, I don't need to own it to know that.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Epik151 has a spectacular aura aboutEpik151 has a spectacular aura about
Porsche isn't about the fastest lap times. There is heritage, tradition, and beauty.

The GTR and the new Ferrari are mostly computer and are built to be effective.

The 911 on the other hand is built off the tradition of rear engine rwd and not making it easy for the driver.

It's not all about lap times, mate.

All are fantastic cars you can have a good time with.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
caymanboy has a spectacular aura aboutcaymanboy has a spectacular aura about
It's great that we have options, and everyone can select the one to meet their individual taste.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?