997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
There is indeed ALWAYS a faster car unless you want to spend big $$ and change cars every year LOL

Get something that YOU like to drive.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
In short, the Japanese for years were governed be the Jap Auto Board to produce cars at a certain HP. Under 300 I believe. In order to compete w/ the Europeans and Americans they had to go other routes to get performance out of their cars.
They worked real hard on braking and suspension systems in order to compete. You can YOUTUBE a set of 9 or 10 shows from a Japanese TV program from 2003 that talks about this in detail at the end of it.
I believe it is called “ Still the King “ or something like that? Use Search here and find the thread that is in the 996TT / GT2 forum for it. They have a GT-R prototype race a 996TT at the end of 1 of the show, the 996 wins but only because at that time the GT-R was way under on HP.
I’m a Porsche guy! But I also know there are other cars that in 1 way or another will out perform the Porsche. I just don’t care.
The "gentlemen's agreement" between the Japanese automakers was to limit their domestic cars to 276hp so they don't get into HP war. But they just underrated the advertised hp of their cars. It became a little too obvious when all their cars made 276hp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._pact-car_news

Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think a lot depends on the specific car , the track and the race itself . There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding whether the cars that broke the track records are the same spec as the stock cars on stock tires. Nissan still deserves a lot credit and I have long been a fan of Nissan cars . I owned the 300zxtt back the days .. great car.

Nissan's GTR never failed by virtue of its car . They failed (IMO) because the customer service left a few owners standing next to a Sentra in service hearing an advisor tell him his warranty is toast. Add to that the ridiculous waivers and requirements of how and where an owner must drive his own car or how he can customize it.

I had always felt even years ago had Nissan abandoned the mediocre 350Z and G37 (infiniti) and placed the Gtr with a little more refinement , a lot more customer service, and a little less tuner denial .. I would have bought one.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I think a lot depends on the specific car , the track and the race itself . There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding whether the cars that broke the track records are the same spec as the stock cars on stock tires. Nissan still deserves a lot credit and I have long been a fan of Nissan cars . I owned the 300zxtt back the days .. great car.

Nissan's GTR never failed by virtue of its car . They failed (IMO) because the customer service left a few owners standing next to a Sentra in service hearing an advisor tell him his warranty is toast. Add to that the ridiculous waivers and requirements of how and where an owner must drive his own car or how he can customize it.

I had always felt even years ago had Nissan abandoned the mediocre 350Z and G37 (infiniti) and placed the Gtr with a little more refinement , a lot more customer service, and a little less tuner denial .. I would have bought one.
GT-R service is unlike any service I've ever had with any manufacturer...

I've stated numerous times over in the GT-R forum of this board.

You get assigned a tech and a service rep. Only 2 people can sell you the car - the dealer principal or GM. Only three people can sit in the car (and they must all have been to the short training), the GM (or dealer principal), the service rep, and the master tech. We all get head of the line privileges, loaners for everything (and you must get a Maxima or equivalent - or better).

And the tuner denial? At least two of the documented 14 transmissions (that I'm aware of - not that there isn't more, it's just that I'm not aware of them) of the 3000+ GT-R's that most have referenced, had Cobb tunes and were still honored under warranty.

In fact, I saw 14 threads over a period of 4 months about the same transmission by somebody who was launching the car - cold, everytime he pulled out of his driveway, traffic signal, parking lot, etc... and he wondered why it broke (he ended up getting another GT-R).

This topic is old now, I believe.

Both the GT-R and the 911T are wonderful cars, that offer different experiences. At this level of performance, it comes down to preference.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
It sounds like you're already sold on buying the Porsche, but why does half a second bother you so much. Nobody ever said that that world's fastest production car is a 997TT. It's probably my favorite car for the money.

John

Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
They failed (IMO) because the customer service left a few owners standing next to a Sentra in service hearing an advisor tell him his warranty is toast. Add to that the ridiculous waivers and requirements of how and where an owner must drive his own car or how he can customize it.
Yup. One of my clients said this recently to me. His words were almost exactly the same as yours (though they also contained several expletives).

Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
So what you're saying is - there are many people who don't understand how to read?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Ill keep my Dry Sumped GT3 for the track.. Lets see how long these tracked GTR motors last..

Old 02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Ill keep my Dry Sumped GT3 for the track.. Lets see how long these tracked GTR motors last..
Quite sometime apparently...

How many track miles would you consider enough?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Quite sometime apparently...

How many track miles would you consider enough?
30k track miles would be nice to see.. and i dont mean 1 car that happens to make it that long.. You know something like 5-6 years down the road..

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
So now there is something wrong with the engine?

I don't get it...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=jaspergtr;2725034]

And the tuner denial? At least two of the documented 14 transmissions (that I'm aware of - not that there isn't more, it's just that I'm not aware of them) of the 3000+ GT-R's that most have referenced, had Cobb tunes and were still honored under warranty.

In fact, I saw 14 threads over a period of 4 months about the same transmission by somebody who was launching the car - cold, everytime he pulled out of his driveway, traffic signal, parking lot, etc... and he wondered why it broke (he ended up getting another GT-R).

This topic is old now, I believe.

quote]

I don't think it's "old" because these threads and topics seem to re appear. .

Either way -these guys have their story too. http://www.autospies.com/news/Fair-O...ipstick-48063/

But the question still lingers whether the cars breaking all those records are the same as the stock Gtrs.

Did you sign a waiver not to customize or modify your Gtr ?

What do you think of this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27VM...layer_embedded

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-12-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
^ My point was the multiple threads that everybody seems to reference revolve around the same few incidents.

I just saw a thread about the transmission that blew up on Samurai Speed's GT-R, as if it was still news.

That's why they keep reappearing... It isn't always new transmissions, but the same ones, rehashed.

And why does the same topic keep on getting brought up again - in EVERY GT-R thread?

How do track times equate to - LC 1.0?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor
So now there is something wrong with the engine?

I don't get it...
So what you interpreted my statement as is " there is something wrong with the engine ?? "

It seems you want to hear what you want to hear..

I almost bought that car, 1 day i will OWN THAT CAR.. I still want to see how long the motors last under serious track abuse before i decide what i will pay for that car.. If you need some clarity on the statement let me know..

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
^ My point was the multiple threads that everybody seems to reference revolve around the same few incidents.

I just saw a thread about the transmission that blew up on Samurai Speed's GT-R, as if it was still news.

That's why they keep reappearing... It isn't always new transmissions, but the same ones, rehashed.

And why does the same topic keep on getting brought up again - in EVERY GT-R thread?

How do track times equate to - LC 1.0?
Because obviously the Nissan GTR did not win those races.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?