997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
You put 2 really competent drivers in each and the story could be different.

The other factor is that the GT-R is 'easy' to drive fast as shown on an episode of Top Gear. The Porsche requires a bit more skill to hustle it around at the same or faster pace.

Anyway, you don't buy a Porsche because it is THE fastest. You buy it because it is good in all things, including reliability, and the statement it makes about your good taste in automobiles.
The same could be said for the Miatas running around raping GTR's.. I had a miata at the last DE that was on my *** all the way around Sebring and killed me to waive by.. But its the name of the game.. STEP up or STEP out..

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
What is new about it is the waiver itself - I'm glad Nissan did this. You know how many useless threads were started about brake noise? People actually took their GT-R's back to the dealership for excessive noises from the transmission... This is what the waiver is for - keep the idiots from acting stupid. If you act responsibly, there is nothing to worry about.
If Nissan wanted to label brake and transmission noise as normal it could be wriiten in the manual and even on the window sticker . However --getting a signature of compliance from a customer is not just a manufacturer statement .. it is a customer commitment prior to delivery. It is agreement where the manufacturer obtains customer verification BEFORE delivery . It's not to weed out the "idiots" but to silence them with their own signature born in the ignorance of not having the car .

If the signature is mandatory of all owners it might even be argued that it was signed under some sort of duress. What happens if the owner rejects signing it ? Can he still buy the car? Will he still have warranty?

Why would you label a customer complaint by calling him an "idiot" ? Why not simply address the complaint as normal or in need of service?

There is also some confusion about what the wararnty will and won't cover regarding track use. Can you specify what is or isn't acceptable?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
The "gentlemen's agreement" between the Japanese automakers was to limit their domestic cars to 276hp so they don't get into HP war. But they just underrated the advertised hp of their cars. It became a little too obvious when all their cars made 276hp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._pact-car_news
Honestly I don't know a lot about Japanese cars. What little I know on the GT-R and this subject came from the Jap TV show and a little reading.
I do think they really worked on the suspension and brakes. In the video you could see the GT-R out corner the 996tt. I will say that the GT-R was completely fresh and the 996tt had the same stock brakes and tires that it had raced on earlier.
My main point is the Japs were/are hungry to make a statement on the world stage of super cars. Mazda just won the GT class at Daytona a few weeks back and it's their 2nd time in ( I believe ? ) 3 years.
I'm a Porsche guy! I'd rather have my Porsche then any other car. Not to say I won't have a Lambo or Ferrari some day, but I wanted a Porsche.
I guess in the end when you grow up and realize it doesn't matter what others think, life is about what you think of yourself. Big deal some1 else has a car that is faster then mine. I have things in my life because I want them there, that's all that matters to me.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Jasper -Here are some more questions .
First - see attached
http://jalopnik.com/5201918/2010-gt+...-for-denying-n

Snippet --from link above
"The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;"

NOW -- My Questions -------

1) Why would Nissan build a car touting it track capability yet not stand behind covering its track drivers repairs ?

2) Do you believe that the tremendous effort made to void the warranty is because they anticipate that their car would break?

3) Do you still feel that your signature on a warranty waiver gives them every chance to silence any effort made to repair your car in the event that has mechanical problems ?

4) Do you feel that its right to void a warranty if their specific fluid is not used ?
Or that service was slighly off? Or some other deflection of the endless list of rules which you claimed to have signed ?

5) Do you realize that porsche does not do this ?

6) Do you even believe that the cars winning all those races and breaking all those records are just some type of advertisement but when it comes to the regular Gtr driver it's unacceptable?

7) Do you feel that the endless posts of the Gtr matter to the Porsche owners ? Do you think most 911 Turbo owners could not buy a Gtr ? Or even a second car of a Gtr ?

Lastly -- My comments --
I still like the Gtr. In recent days the press on the Japanese auto manufacturers has shaken a lot of consumer confidence. With Toyota recalling a large crop of cars and Honda facing its latest news it's actually refreshing to see that Nissan has taken the steps to get your signature to insure that they told you so.
At least you know .

I woild still consider a Gtr after all this . I'm not a track driver. I probably am more the type of customer they would want . I don't complain much but when I feel that a contract does nothing for the owner -- I do question it and i would not feel comfortable signing it.

That's my opinion on the Gtr.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-13-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
So much ignorance and internet BS out there about the GTR, so some facts need repeating.

1. In the UK we now have about 700 GTRs, not one has yet broken a transmission.

2. Mine has done 8k miles and 5 trackdays at Nurburgring NS, Silverstone GP and Snetterton. Zero problems.

3. My stock 996 GT2 needed new PCCBs at 9k miles and a new transmission at 12,000 miles. Does that make the GT2 a worse car than a GTR?????? All cars have failures, ever heard of Porsche RMS???

The GTR had a few trans failures, that were over-publicised and were almost entirely caused by teenage idiots doing 100+ launches. The same would happen to a PDK 911 in all likelihood, it's just that the average 911 PDK is unlikely to launch the car.

PS Most of my GTR owning friends either owned or still own either a GT3 or GT2.............

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Honestly I don't know a lot about Japanese cars. What little I know on the GT-R and this subject came from the Jap TV show and a little reading.
I do think they really worked on the suspension and brakes. In the video you could see the GT-R out corner the 996tt. I will say that the GT-R was completely fresh and the 996tt had the same stock brakes and tires that it had raced on earlier.
My main point is the Japs were/are hungry to make a statement on the world stage of super cars. Mazda just won the GT class at Daytona a few weeks back and it's their 2nd time in ( I believe ? ) 3 years.
I'm a Porsche guy! I'd rather have my Porsche then any other car. Not to say I won't have a Lambo or Ferrari some day, but I wanted a Porsche.
I guess in the end when you grow up and realize it doesn't matter what others think, life is about what you think of yourself. Big deal some1 else has a car that is faster then mine. I have things in my life because I want them there, that's all that matters to me.
Yah, I have no doubt they worked really hard on the suspension and brakes. Japanese cars have always been known for their handling, they are just as good as the German competitors. I remember my old Subaru STi had the same front brembo calipers as the 996 Carrera.

Last edited by nevert00fast; 02-13-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Guy
So much ignorance and internet BS out there about the GTR, so some facts need repeating.

1. In the UK we now have about 700 GTRs, not one has yet broken a transmission.

2. Mine has done 8k miles and 5 trackdays at Nurburgring NS, Silverstone GP and Snetterton. Zero problems.

3. My stock 996 GT2 needed new PCCBs at 9k miles and a new transmission at 12,000 miles. Does that make the GT2 a worse car than a GTR?????? All cars have failures, ever heard of Porsche RMS???

The GTR had a few trans failures, that were over-publicised and were almost entirely caused by teenage idiots doing 100+ launches. The same would happen to a PDK 911 in all likelihood, it's just that the average 911 PDK is unlikely to launch the car.

PS Most of my GTR owning friends either owned or still own either a GT3 or GT2.............
The waiver makes it very clear that Nissan themselves expect either some sort of failure OR customer complaint. The fact that your car has or hasn't broken is not relevant to whether Nissan would back you if it did.

The "highly publicised" problems were from owners who DID face problems. Thus the only way you or Jasper would find out is in the event of problem.

I'm glad you have been happy. As I have said all along --I like the car .
What i don't like is requiring an owner to sign away his rights to a manufacturer . One who has a history where it took a class action law suit fix a few cars.

I also don't feel its right to judge the owners whose cars broke down . That is precisely what Jasper did (even referring to them as "idiots") . That type of "blame the victim" mentality not only makes an owner a victim to the faulty car, the sub standard customer service, and the expense .. but it even reveals an almost cult like explusion from fellow Nissan owners. Does the manufacturer teach this in some type of waiver signing sermon?

In contrast .. when an owners Porsche breaks .. other Porsche owners tend to show support and encouragement . They offer solutions . Big difference.

As I said in my first post .. Nissan did not fail by virtue of the car but they did fail in terms of customer service .

Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
IMO, its not a big deal. You purchase the car YOU want and prefer to drive. Numbers and lap times can only do so much.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Why do you guys even entertain these thread? Its the guys first post and last post and he managed to get 4 pages of replies...

Good job for a first post lol

Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The worst part of these threads is that I happen to like the GTR . I just feel that one sided arguments whether it be pro Porsche or pro Nissan fall shy of balance .

Each car has its strong and weak points .
I feel exactly the same way!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Well I took my first ride/drive in a 2010 GT-R yesterday. They did their homework for sure. The car is pretty amazing, so much so that I'm in the process of buying one as we speak. I'm sure the new PDK will take it but for what it costs, plus its VERY limited production, I can't see it's worth the money difference. I just drove a new Pan Turbo too, love it, but damn it's expensive! I'm going to get the GT-R to have fun. I'm not going to compare the two, they're different. But I will say I got a much better kick out of the GT-R yesterday then I ever got out of my '08 Cab Turbo. And it gave the Ruf a good run for its money too. Do i like to shift? Yep, but it depends on what day it is. I think the ultimate option is to have both to use depending on what mood you're in. Sometime I just don't want to shift..

As for the, "Porsche never has any problems comments", I will tell you I have gone through two motors, one was an X50, two 2nd gear tranny issues, a RMS issue, and multiple other smaller issues in my day. Thank goodness the cars were all in warranty. I will NEVER have one out of warranty again. The invoice on the X50 motor was 58K! Porsches have problems too. I will guarantee you Nissan will stand behind these cars from here on out. They really have no choice now with the new V2 software, law suits, mud on their face, etc...

Hey and don't think Porsche is always the friendliest about fixing modded cars under warranty either, been there done that too...

Last edited by Ted; 02-13-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The waiver makes it very clear that Nissan themselves expect either some sort of failure OR customer complaint. The fact that your car has or hasn't broken is not relevant to whether Nissan would back you if it did.

The "highly publicised" problems were from owners who DID face problems. Thus the only way you or Jasper would find out is in the event of problem.

I'm glad you have been happy. As I have said all along --I like the car .
What i don't like is requiring an owner to sign away his rights to a manufacturer . One who has a history where it took a class action law suit fix a few cars.

I also don't feel its right to judge the owners whose cars broke down . That is precisely what Jasper did (even referring to them as "idiots") . That type of "blame the victim" mentality not only makes an owner a victim to the faulty car, the sub standard customer service, and the expense .. but it even reveals an almost cult like explusion from fellow Nissan owners. Does the manufacturer teach this in some type of waiver signing sermon?

In contrast .. when an owners Porsche breaks .. other Porsche owners tend to show support and encouragement . They offer solutions . Big difference.

As I said in my first post .. Nissan did not fail by virtue of the car but they did fail in terms of customer service .
I'm not sure what rights I've signed away... Perhaps you could share with me.

And the 'idiots' that you are referring to from my comment are the people who buy car that makes noises - AND IT'S EVEN MENTIONED THROUGHOUT THE MANUAL - AND THEY STILL COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NOISES! These are the idiots.

^ Was that clear enough?

If you've done nothing wrong, and something fails, Nissan fixes it. This is nothing different from any other car I've ever owned...

In fact, the same "tuning restrictions" that people have claimed has been consistent on every other Nissan/Infiniti I've ever owned (and pretty much the same as every other car) - I can change the exhaust after the last sensor... Everything before the sensor can possible cause problems.

How is this different? Hell, I don't see this as bad as my friend with a Shelby GT500 who was told he can't even change the wheels, because the extra weight could cause undo stress on the driveline, etc... (Let's ***** about that, shall we)

Why is signing a paper that says that "you've read the manual, and you understand that it makes noises, and that if you bring it in, we will treat you with a certain level of care" - a bad thing?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

(I was going to answer your previous questions, but I read further - and I really don't care what Porsche owners think (I used to be one) about threads like this. If there was a valid concern, please restate)

Last edited by jaspergtr; 02-13-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
it's teh nissan.......

-just sayin

Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Nice avatar.

-just sayin.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
To the original post...I hear you. I thought it was Odd to see the consistent A@@ whippings the GTR was putting on the 997 TT (Since I have one, and two 996's which will definitely get beat....And forget about my Cayenne S). Then I just thought....The GTR costs a lot less, so if I really wanted one, I could buy maybe almost two for the 2010 Turbo highly optioned price. And I realized...Do I want a Porsche or a (Datsun)Nissan? Look at the beauty of the design of the 997 Turbo IMHO...And then I look at the boxy and quite ugly (IMO) Nissan GT-R...And realized.....I am not in it for racing, and there is no way I would trade my Porsche(s) for any Nissan. And if you want to beat one...Just put a few Mods and you are golden. The mechanic at my dealership just got through upgrading turbos etc. and got one ( a 996 TT)to 900 HP. Now I cannot say for sure, but I am thinking the GT-R would only briefly see the word 'turbo" and then nothing Hey, but to each his own! Enjoy what you drive! And buy what you like..... Good thread..

DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?