997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
This whole thing is about as bad as the H1N1 scare.. Sadly it did effect some, but for the most part, everything has turned out fine. It was the media, that blew it way out of proportion. If you listened to them too long you'd think we're all going to die. There's probably a bit of this "the sky's going to fall" going on with the GT-R's also.

Ironically, I have two close friends here that are GM's of two different Nissan/GT-R dealerships. Of the 12- GT-R's they service regularly between them they haven't had a single tranny/motor failure. In fact they've had nothing really happen at all. I know it's only 12 but it's worth mentioning.

Now can it handle mods? That's a different question, probably not like a Porsche. I'm not modding mine anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I will say after driving one, the thing that makes you smile in the GT-R is the way it does everything so quickly from accelerating to shifting. It's like its in "hyper" mode. I think Porsche engineers some buffers into their designs to ease the "radical" factor a bit most likely for longevities sake... Hence the new Porsche's are so fast but smooth. The Panamera Turbo was deceptively smooth and fast, not much stress on any of the components under normal to spirited driving conditions.

Time will only tell...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
1) Why would Nissan build a car touting it track capability yet not stand behind covering its track drivers repairs ?

5) Do you realize that porsche does not do this ?

Do you know of any other manufacturer who has made such an effort to limit its drivers use of his own car?
Yes. Dodge asks that Viper ACR buyers sign waivers regarding aero and suspension adjustments on that car. A Viper engineer told a Road & Track tester that such adjustments would likely indicate track use and would thus void the warranty.
http://forums.roadandtrack.com/showthread.php?t=34053

As for Porsche and other manufacturers...
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/04q3/evo_owners_decry_warranty_rejections-car_news
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2499268-stock-engine-dropped-valve-gm-wont-warranty.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/27398-watch-for-porsche-warranty-if-you-track-or-mod-your-car.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/2771395-post28.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/3545072-post15.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/97985-pccb-arbitration-results.html

While some dealers will make goodwill repairs on cars that have been tracked, none are under any legal obligation to support someone's racing habits. That's what race cars are for.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Back to the topic. It is disconcerting. The good thing that has come out of this is Porsche got their bell rung. They have been embarrassed by the GT-R. Isn't it interesting they fianlly have come out with a 3.0 sec 0-60 car in response to it. Even the Panamera is 3.5 sec car. You know they could have done this all a long. Porsche is being pushed. No longer are they going to be able to add just 5 more HP, a tic or two faster 0-60 time, a tiny option or two that are standards on other cars, and charge us 10K+ more each year. In other words, do you really think the new PDK or Panamera Turbo would really be as fast as they are if they weren't forced to make them this way? Don't you think the GT-R at 80K cheaper might have something to do with this? These two new models represent MAJOR performance jumps when compared to year's past. It's actually a good thing for all future Porsche owners, no more dog and pony show allowed.

I love Porsches, been driving them since I was 18 years old (now 49). I will keep the one I have regardless of the GT-R but no doubt Porsche got their butts handed to them on a platter due to this thing. And we will all benefit from this little cat fight down line... Just an opinion. YMMV

Old 02-13-2010, 08:06 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
^ Nice avatar.

-just sayin.

Keeley Hazell ftw!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Ted
And by the way, if you haven't driven or ridden in one of the new 2010 GT-R's reserve your opinion until you do. I really was truly shocked and surprised, bout made me **** my pants, was grabbing the "Oh___!" handle while riding in the passenger seat and the car wasn't even fully broken in yet. Then when I drove it at high speeds through several familiar tight off ramps with no slip whatsoever I thought to myself, "The 997 would be on the guard rails no doubt about now." It was crazy, had a big ole smile on my face

Now watch me eat every one of these words when the thing lunches a tranny, nothing like having to come back here with your head between your legs. But for the money, I'm going to take a chance at it. It was that much fun. Oh, and the paddle shifters, that's the only way to go, much better in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
Yes. Dodge asks that Viper ACR buyers sign waivers regarding aero and suspension adjustments on that car. A Viper engineer told a Road & Track tester that such adjustments would likely indicate track use and would thus void the warranty.
http://forums.roadandtrack.com/showthread.php?t=34053

As for Porsche and other manufacturers...
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/04q3/evo_owners_decry_warranty_rejections-car_news
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2499268-stock-engine-dropped-valve-gm-wont-warranty.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/27398-watch-for-porsche-warranty-if-you-track-or-mod-your-car.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/2771395-post28.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/3545072-post15.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/97985-pccb-arbitration-results.html

While some dealers will make goodwill repairs on cars that have been tracked, none are under any legal obligation to support someone's racing habits. That's what race cars are for.
1) I am not talking about the Dodge ACR. This (and other manufacturers mentioned) are red herrings. They merely serve as a deflection to reveal a weak argument . There are TWO cars mentioned in the original post .. the 911 Turbo and the GTR.

2) Most of the Porsche posts you presented either show a modified DME or a potentially abused car. Likewise you cited Southern Califonia which is well known the most strict to Porsches warranty .. yet even there .. no one is signing waivers.

3) The central selling point emphsized about the GTR was it's track ability . That is NOT the case with the Porsche 911 Turbo . In fact Porsche makes other models with track use as the primary focus.

4) No one is advocating supporting someones poor "racing habits" . But Nissan goes the extra step to even require every nit pick item placed in their car is under their supervision and they require your signature to use to their benefit at their convenience .

Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

Why is signing a paper that says that "you've read the manual, and you understand that it makes noises, and that if you bring it in, we will treat you with a certain level of care" - a bad thing?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

)
That waiver is written by corporate legal professionals aimed at the best interest of the manufacturer (who BTW areadly lost one class action suit).
It is carefully written , edited, re edited , and amended with time to insure their defense against any customer who strays from their compliance.

It is given to the customer at a time when he is star struck by the car of his dreams in a moment when his impulsive emotional reasoning of "I want the GTR" might even impair his rational decision making.

In my opinion .. it could even be challenged but most likely the owner with the problem , isolated to his one technician, and one sales leader .... might just see his own signature along with their united front and feel alone enough to pay the cost of the repair bill.

In my opinion --it's almost a form of manufacturer bullying . The only difference is that the owner actually believes its for his own good which even further indoctrinates the brainwash process.

It obviously works .. just like most ideologies of this nature ... it's actually quite brilliant on Nissans part .

Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Classic^^^^

+1

Great points about the 997 TT and Porsche having cars built for the track like the GT2 & GT3

In fact, Porsche has a car for every demographic if you think about it!

Box-milfs, soccer moms high school girls
Cayman-young college grads
911- People transitioning into the Turbo
TT- Early 40's, multi homeowner
GT2/3- Love the track, or purchased as a second Porche (See TT profile)
Carrera GT- Puma racing shoes, Porsche crest ball cap, and guys you see on the bravo show Millionaire Matchmaker

-just sayin

Last edited by UMADBRO; 02-13-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by UMADBRO
Classic^^^^

+1

Great points about the 997 TT and Porsche having cars built for the track like the GT2 & GT3

In fact, Porsche has a car for every demographic if you think about it!

Box-milfs, soccer moms high school girls
Cayman-young college grads
911- People who are just waiting to upgrade to the Turbo
TT- Early 40's, multi homeowner
GT2/3- Love the track, or purchased as a second Porche (See TT profile)
Carrera GT- Puma racing shoes, Porsche crest ball cap, and guys you see on the bravo show Millionaire Matchmaker

-just sayin
Stereotype the owners as you please because that reveals more about you than them.

One thing ALL Porsche owners of all models share in common --they don't sign waivers .

Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Stereotype the owners as you please because that reveals more about you than them.

One thing ALL Porsche owners of all models share in common --they don't sign waivers .

It simply reveals my adoration for all P-cars and the fact that I undeniably fall somewhere between a cayman and 911

And you signed a waiver just to join this car forum!...........just sayin

And what does it reveal about me exactly Dr. Phil?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by UMADBRO
It simply reveals my adoration for all P-cars and the fact that I undeniably fall somewhere between a cayman and 911

And you signed a waiver just to join this car forum!...........just sayin

This open public forum is free and welcomes even those who don't have a car.

It's even available for you to write the sweeping generalizations about the forum community of owners whom you are trying to have a discussion with.

I am not going to judge you. If you are happy with your car or yourself .,, then you wouldn't care what anyone had to say.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
This open public forum is free and welcomes even those who don't have a car.

It's even available for you to write the sweeping generalizations about the forum community of owners whom you are trying to have a discussion with.

I am not going to judge you. If you are happy with your car or yourself .,, then you wouldn't care what anyone had to say.

That's a low blow...........and this forum is never free, it takes your soul and flushes down the toilet!

-this sh*t is real

Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
c'on everyone on these forums knows that Nissan is flat out lying about the hp #. also my guess is that P dial backed the performance of the new TT as not to exceed the GT2.

time will tell, lets see how the nissan holds up 3-5yrs down the road.

Last edited by kosmo69; 02-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by kosmo69
c'on everyone on these forums knows that Nissan is flat out lying about the hp #. also, personally my guess is that P dial backed the performance of the new TT as not to exceed the GT2.

time will tell, lets see how the nissan holds up 3, 5yrs down the road.

see signature

Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
1) I am not talking about the Dodge ACR. This (and other manufacturers mentioned) are red herrings. They merely serve as a deflection to reveal a weak argument . There are TWO cars mentioned in the original post .. the 911 Turbo and the GTR.

2) Most of the Porsche posts you presented either show a modified DME or a potentially abused car. Likewise you cited Southern Califonia which is well known the most strict to Porsches warranty .. yet even there .. no one is signing waivers.

3) The central selling point emphsized about the GTR was it's track ability . That is NOT the case with the Porsche 911 Turbo . In fact Porsche makes other models with track use as the primary focus.

4) No one is advocating supporting someones poor "racing habits" . But Nissan goes the extra step to even require every nit pick item placed in their car is under their supervision and they require your signature to use to their benefit at their convenience .
You asked if ANY OTHER manufacturer does that. I provided you with the answer. If you don't like it, go ahead and refute it. Otherwise, accept the answer, as it is common practice within the industry, and accept that it is not only Nissan who are doing this as you state, and move on.

Most, but not all. Porsche's stance is that if the car is tracked, they are under no obligation to fix it on their dime. You signed the warranty agreement, so I doubt a court would rule in your favor. In fact, courts have ruled in Porsche's favor. And in the case of PCCB, it had nothing to do with engines. Porsche didn't even hide behind brakes as consumables. Instead, they flat out said driving on the track was specific reason enough, and the court agreed. That constitutes "abuse" does it? When a Nissan fails and Nissan doesn't honor the warranty, it's Nissan's underhanded ways at work; when it's a Porsche that fails, it's "potentially abused." Haha. Great support for your fellow Porsche man.
Turbo vs other models...you might have a legitimate argument if there is in fact some difference in warranty coverage between these two. Is that the case? PCCB wasn't designed for ordinary everyday street driving. Why didn't Porsche stand behind it?

You don't think the Turbo is marketed as a trackworthy car? Oh, I guess those Porsche engineers and Rohrl just let slip out those 'Ring times by accident. The GT3 and GT2 are surely marketed as track-ready cars ("Everything that’s crucial for use on the racetrack can be adjusted on the chassis...systems can be disabled completely in two stages – for an active driving experience on the racetrack...The road-approved sport tires are designed to enable higher cornering speeds, as well as precision handling on the road or racetrack...Top track speed 194 mph"), yet look at the warranty exclusions which you sign before taking possession of the car:

"This Warranty Does Not Cover:
-Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Your responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use...:

- To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits."

So basically, if you were to drive the car as Porsche had designed it, as Porsche had marketed it, Porsche is within their legal rights to deny warranty coverage. If it is devious of Nissan to include such language in their warranty provisions, how is it not devious of Porsche to do the same?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?