997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ted
Well I guess the OP has a point then. This topic is quite annoying/disturbing no matter which side you're on. I will admit I'm a bit pissed too that Nissan can build a car that threatens Porsche on several major fronts. I've spent a lot of money with them and Porsche has made LOADS of money off all of us. However I'm not buying the GT-R in spite of Porsche, I'm buying it to enjoy it, then sell it, then whatever. I'd love to get the Panamera Turbo however i don't want to wake up 12-months from now and have it be worth 40K less than I bought it for. This won't happen with the GT-R I guarantee you. That's the cool thing about it. Will I buy more Porsche's? Yep. Brand new? Probably not. For such a "prestigious" brand their resale value simply sucks these days...

The fact is Porsche can't play the games they've always been able to play anymore. This is what good competition is supposed to do in any good business, kind of reminds me of the turtle and the hare. No doubt Porsche is/will answer the call. Whether they can get away with charging over twice the competition's price is questionable. The GT-R won't be the only car knocking on Porsche's door in the next couple of years. Personally I think they've been laughing their way to the bank for a very long time...

I love both of the aforementioned cars for what they are and that's ok, don't need to pick sides. I'm good with it.
Well said...

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Guibo -Let's go back in time to 2007 when Mizuno was younger and more likely to insert his foot in his mouth . Before the car was launched . Before the transmission issues. Before the waiver.
One has to dig real deep to find this... interestingly his proposed lap times for the anticipated production car echoed the numbers found by Porsche in 2008.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../71017001/1065

Quoted from Autoweek link --
"Earlier, Mizuno-san had offered some lap times from the Nordschliefe for various cars driven by the German magazine SportAuto. Those times are driver-dependent, track-knowledge-dependent, weather-, traffic- and bunny-crossing-the-track dependent. But Mizuno suggested the GT-R could get anywhere from 7:44 on up, with most laps coming in between 7:55 and 7:58. So he suggested the GT-R’s strong suit was that it offered “the best cost per lap time.” For whatever that’s worth."

Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Wow... We've resorted to discussing 'Ring times again?

Holy crap.

Please end this thread.

It is so far off-topic, it would need some sort of 4wd vehicle to go find it.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
see sig

Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
I did not read the whole thread, but I did notice the OP is already banned.

Hmmm a troll perhaps.

As to the subject at hand.

Who effin cares about the GT-R? Well,not me.

For me it's an -box car for fast and furious fans, that's it

I could not care less about it's performance.

It is not an Icon and never will be, just like there are faster bikes than my Harley, but they are not Harley's and never will be.

It's not for me, thanks.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtcraigco

Hmmm a troll perhaps.

It is not an Icon and never will be, just like there are faster bikes than my Harley, but they are not Harley's and never will be.

It's not for me, thanks.

I respectfully disagree, the GTR is indeed an Iconic legend in the tuning industry and has even been given the moniker of "Godzilla" because of it's 1,000 hp prowess and tuning capabilities. What the 911 is to Germany the GTR is to Japan! Evos and Civics are for Fast and Furious teenagers, which I highly doubt can go out and afford an 80k sports car.

Not trying to slam your post, but pretty much everything you said is erroneous and simply not true!

Just sayin

Last edited by UMADBRO; 02-14-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
These threads are classic.
If it was all about ring times then we would be striving to buy track /road legal cars like the Radical etc etc.
However in the real world where ring times by professional drivers with driving skills above anyone in this forum are irrelevent, then the car that best suits your needs, good fun factor etc are important.
For some people that means GTR, for others Porsche turbo/gt3 etc or Ferrari.
I dont care what people think as long as I enjoy my car thats all that matters.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Amen... That's simply why I'm going to buy the GT-R. It was just plain fun.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

Hmmm a troll perhaps.

It's not for me, thanks.
The GTR is a very respectable car . It's too bad that the facts are surrounded with skepticism and controversy . That is usually what happens with deception and mistrust.

I also feel that a waiver signature has special significance aimed at an owner's willingness to sign away his rights and can be used against him.

I also feel that if Porsche began an unrealistic and highly detailed strict regimen of warranty surveillance as Nissan has it would turn off Porsche buyers as well . But they haven't .

I also find it interesting that so many Nissan owners read the Porsche forum. I don't read the Nissan forum .

An intersting observation at any auto show is the large fan base gathering of young wannabe street racers drooling over the GtR . It is not the track drivers (who flock to the Gt3 or other Porsches) .

Surprisingly the GTR crowd cite performance numbers from track data. Had the numbers come from typical street race stoplight to stoplight or highway rolls --the Gtr would lose . In fact against a modded Turbo .. it would lose severely.

There are simply too many uncertainties to draw a conclusion and that is why I have said all along that both cars have merrit .

Price seems to carry some weight in the discussion and yes the Nissan does cost less . If saving money is part of the process the Gtr is quite a value ... as long as the customer walks the Nissan line.

In the end .. is it really 7.26 or nearly 8 min ?
It all depends who one asks .

I favor the idea of finding the truth and to do it with a car set to US spec , stock, and covered by warranty before and after the test .
Too bad .. all this time has passed and there is NOT one precise answer.

8 pages .. long posts .. and lots of ideas and opinions later .. we are really not much further than where this thread began.

At least I can say --I like both cars. That's good enough for me.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-14-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
I'll clarify my post about the GT-R

To me, in my personal opinion, it is a steaming pile of poo.

BUT I did not spend my money on it and I sincerely hope anyone who does enjoys the heck out of it.

To me it is nothing more than a civic on steriods.
"Yaaaaawwwwn"

Nothing personal to anyone here, its just not my thing.
But that's OK, again it's not checkbook buying one either.

To each his own.

Peace, I'm out on this one.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I'll clarify my post about the GT-R

To me, in my personal opinion, it is a steaming pile of poo.

BUT I did not spend my money on it and I sincerely hope anyone who does enjoys the heck out of it.

To me it is nothing more than a civic on steriods.
"Yaaaaawwwwn"

Nothing personal to anyone here, its just not my thing.
But that's OK, again it's not checkbook buying one either.

To each his own.

Peace, I'm out on this one.

Fair enough, it's not for you. And I'm sure there are thousands in here who would say the same thing about your Harley and Dodge Charger.........

-just sayin

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I found this video interesting. In the narration the same driver reflects on both cars . He comments on the rivalry as well as the price . He likes both. He clearly indicates that he's not trying to debate the rivalry or claims of either . He simply wants to drive both cars. He also states that the track has some oil residue from previous events and he also admits that he's not trying to go for any world records with over the top style driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1UZzJk6mw

Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought this was a 997 TT vs GTR thread (see thread title)............that's a GT2

-cool vid nonethless

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok I just read this whole thread and I would like to comment on a couple of things. First of all I am the General Manager of Atlantic Nissan (3rd largest in the country) we have delivered 24 Gtr's witch is the most in the country and we are a huge into motor sports and we do track days with our customers and also all sorts of mods.

1)LETS KEEP IT REAL, YOU DO CARE THAT THE NISSAN IS FASTER!! When we shopped for our cars we all looked at all the ratings, specs, and performance comparisons and not just the looks. The majority of use for most owners is on the street doing normal driving, yet why spend an extra 30k+ on a turbo? Its good to know you have the baddest ride around. I have a M6 and the direct competitor is the Amg family so anytime there is head to head comparison im always disappointed if my brand doesn't win.

2) Stop saying that the cars were made to be good at different things or in different area's. The 911 turbo was built to be a drivers car that was built to be fast on a track and for years it has been the benchmark for all manufactures for performance driving. No one is saying the Gtr is better looking or that it has a nicer interior but what the FACTS have shown is that the Gtr is FASTER around a track and that is Porsche's number 1 mission. Also to say it depends on the driver is a copout because there has been countless test and comparisons done by numerous reputable media sources where the SAME driver drives both vehicles and EVERY time the Gtr wins so i think its safe to say its faster around a track lol....

3) As far as the whole ring time debate lets forget the times that Nissan ran and the times that Porsche ran. Horst Von Saurma is a completely independent professional driver whos specialty is the ring and he ran a 7:54 in the turbo and 7:38 in the Gtr. He has also tested about 30 other exotic and hyper cars around the world. here is the link for anyone who wants to check. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring_lap_times

4) I obviously followed the whole tranny thing very closely and its so exaggerated its not even funny. In the entire time the car has been out we have done one repair and the car was modded with a Cobb tune and Nissan still covered the claim. Last year when this was really going wild I always checked in with nissan to see how man claims were submitted and at the time it was 12 and nissan paid for 8. If i have to guess right now the total amount of failed transmissions is probably less that 22 or so.

5) Now in the end i personally happen to love both cars and i dont think the FACT that the Gtr is faster around a track will make someone give up there 911 but stop kidding your selves and saying you dont care or that it doesn't matter! And when you want to debate the 2 cars lets do exactly that and stop talking about a lame dragged out transmission warrantee issue or some disclosure that most likely will never matter!! The cars reliability is well within the normal range of any other sports car. Until that changes leave the legal stuff out and lets talk about burning rubber

Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 AM
4) I obviously followed the whole tranny thing very closely and its so exaggerated its not even funny.
You are correct . It's not funny because it apparently isn't as many claim on this thread . They claim that big mechanical problems was part of the past but these say otherwise. Apparently there is a European recall according to this. These posts are recent.
Care to refute this ?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....952&hl=failure

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/130700-of...engines-3.html

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-15-2010 at 01:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why does the GT-R continue beating the 911 Turbo around the track?