997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 GT2 RS Tuning Stage III

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
M-M
M-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DINpower
For sure Levin look a good outfit and as a CG reseller they they understand more than some about tuning IMVHO however I have known plenty of great race teams come out with some quality BS when it suits them and I'm afraid what they told you below fits into that category.....

Ask them how the cores which Secan "have now" are different from the cores in the 996tt Secan intercoolers as sold by CG/RS from 2002 ?
They are not - your guy is full of it
I guess it was RS themselves that told him about that when he called RS and asked if CG new ICīs work with Stage IIII.

Last edited by M-M; 02-14-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Toby, you stated on rennteam that RS Tuning used bigger or smaller VTG based on the C/R of your engine for the 660 special, how can M-M know which ones he got?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
HN-GT2997 is infamous around these parts
for sure the IC would make more power as we just install them on my car even with the stock ecuīs see
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ll-others.html

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
M-M
M-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the roughM-M is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jiaim
found those, remembered this japanese website

there is ipd cast versus stock, the carbon ones offers even more volume due to their construction wich require less materials.

I think the biggest different for air volume is the inlet tubes

Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Nasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by milou
Protomotive 4,5" I/Cs are a great option, sure less expensive
Protomotive doing 5'' intercoolers now

Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nasser
Protomotive doing 5'' intercoolers now
Its not now, i had the option when i got mine (4,5") almost a year ago. I think you don't need those on VTG kits.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M-M
I think the biggest different for air volume is the inlet tubes
I replaced mine with some 9FF C/F ones for 2000 Euro.

I don't think they give any noticeable power gains, they are more for helping airflow. Kind of useless

Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM
M-M
I replaced mine with some 9FF C/F ones for 2000 Euro.

I don't think they give any noticeable power gains, they are more for helping airflow. Kind of useless
They are probably useless for you if your ECU is not updated and with stock VTG`s. You canīt just replace some partīs and expect power gain without right ECU tuning and VTGīs to handle more air. RS, RUF and like you wrote 9ff use it for a reason

Last edited by M-M; 02-15-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jiaim
Toby, you stated on rennteam that RS Tuning used bigger or smaller VTG based on the C/R of your engine for the 660 special, how can M-M know which ones he got?
He will have got whichever they used for the CG kit....

This is the difference when you buy RS installed kit and pay them for engine dyno time, they test power outputs with different configurations (mainly turbos on 7GT2) to get best (safe) power - What always "interests" me is that they like to test every engine like this as the results between engines and new components does differ. This contrasts with "bolt on" industry where every component is worth Xhp, it doesn't always work like this when a proper measurement set up is used, but there are very few proper measurement setups in the world so bolt ons rule

Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by M-M
I guess it was RS themselves that told him about that when he called RS and asked if CG new ICīs work with Stage IIII.
Yes that is probably right, like I said even top race teams/engine builders like to BS when it suits them - G can do it with the best of them if it suits !
RS are not using the CTR coolers because I couldn't be bothered setting up supply the way they wanted ie factory visits etc, too meticulous and time consuming - this is not my business. just a hobby

Last edited by DINpower; 02-15-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by HN-GT2997
for sure the IC would make more power as we just install them on my car even with the stock ecuīs see
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ll-others.html
Your dyno sheet shows the same sort of mid range as mine did on Manthey's Maha set up, mine had 736NM @ 3000rpm....
When the exact same set up was tested on the engine dyno it only measured 690NM....
On the road in certain gears there is some more additional torque at this range but when held under load for proper torque measurment it disappears - what is happening I believe is the ECU adjusts for the extra flow when held under load, on the road it allows the extra flow briefly before regaining control and hitting the stock mass targetsn higher up the revs range (hence stock power higher up)

This does not show us anything about your intercoolers (yet) - forget the dyno for the intercoolers, you need to log the IATs on the Autobahn WOT up to 320kph if possible this will be the best test..... not in that weather though

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 AM
M-M
Originally Posted by DINpower
He will have got whichever they used for the CG kit....

This is the difference when you buy RS installed kit and pay them for engine dyno time, they test power outputs with different configurations (mainly turbos on 7GT2) to get best (safe) power - What always "interests" me is that they like to test every engine like this as the results between engines and new components does differ. This contrasts with "bolt on" industry where every component is worth Xhp, it doesn't always work like this when a proper measurement set up is used, but there are very few proper measurement setups in the world so bolt ons rule
When I called RS and talked to RS Gerhard he asked if I wanted to pay for 2 extra hours dyno time (2500€) or not, never explained the difference. I guess now he didnīt need to config the VTGīs for some reason and had bolt on too

+-10HP makes no difference to me, it will always be someone faster

Last edited by M-M; 02-15-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by M-M
When I called RS and talked to RS Gerhard he asked if I wanted to pay for 2 extra hours dyno time (2500€) or not, never explained the difference. I guess now he didnīt need to config the VTGīs for some reason and had bolt on too

+-10HP makes no difference to me, it will always be someone faster
They will have a standard size which comes configured with the kit but if you go on the dyno it gives them the opportunity to test other sizes. Whether or not anyone could actually tell the difference between bolt on and custom tuned is moot - probably not, but for some nerds it gives an added pleasure

Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by M-M
They are probably useless for you if your ECU is not updated and with stock VTG`s. You canīt just replace some partīs and expect power gain without right ECU tuning and VTGīs to handle more air. RS, RUF and like you wrote 9ff use it for a reason
My car is 700bhp, when your is ready post some times to compare, I believe that your overpriced equipment on a GT2 at the end of the day will be slower than a modded turbo convertible

Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 AM
M-M
My car is 700bhp, when your is ready post some times to compare, I believe that your overpriced equipment on a GT2 at the end of the day will be slower than a modded turbo convertible
I am glad you are happy with your 700bhp kit for less money, I am not comparing our tuning kitīs, we were just discussing the effect air tubes regardless if my tuning is overpriced or not I can afford to buy/build anything I want if this would be a contest

You can compare your car with TB`s RS 660HP GT2, I doubt your advantage of 40HP will matter there, he is on rennlist forum (TB993TT).

I think his car is faster or at least not slower than this kit for 997 Turbo:

tuner: Cargraphic/RS Tuning
kit name: Stage 3 + Carrillo
Turbo: VTG
ECU: standard Motronic
Intercoolers: Secan
exhaust: Cargraphic
air intake: Cargraphic carbon
extra parts: CG headers, 100 cell race HJS cats
dyno resault: engine dyno: 624PS, 900NM DIN
Max Power=..624PS- max torque=.662ft-lbs with 100RON Shell V Power PUMP fuel at.DIN....bar -Temp=.DIN....
Max Power=.N/A.- max torque=..N/A..ft-lbs with RACE fuel at.....bar -Temp=.....
0-60mph: est.2.9s...sec 0-100kph: 3.0s
0-100mph:est.6.8s...sec 0-200kph: 9.1s
60-130mph:est.7s...sec 0-300kph: 23.8s
1/4 mile:....sec @ .... mph
standing mile:est .30s..sec.190....mph
transmission: 6spd 890NM Sachs clutch

Last edited by M-M; 02-15-2010 at 05:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 RS Tuning Stage III