997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Drag Strip *Shake Down Run* Keithta 997 Turbo 1/4 Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Drag Strip *Shake Down Run* Keithta 997 Turbo 1/4 Mile

Track Conditions:

* 50 Degrees on my dash at the time of the run.
* 12 mph NNW Cross/Headwind. (You race down the track from South to North)

Ive been using a single disk Clutch Masters clutch with Fiber Tuff and it just started to slip noticably about 3/4 weeks ago. As much as I would have liked to run the car at the drag strip, I decided to hold out until I get a new Tilton triple carbon clutch installed.

The other evening I decided to do a few 1/4 mile test runs with the bad clutch still in my car. I ran a couple of passes with the drift box and surprisingly my worn single disk clutch seemed to be holding up. There could have been a little slippage but was kind of difficult to detect.

So what the heck??? I decided on a whim to run the car this past Wednesday at the Palm Beach International Raceway drag strip.

Just a bit of an overview on this single disk clutch that is currently in my car. The car shudders when you slip the clutch. It rattles at idle and engages way at the top of the pedal travel. The worst part of it all is that this clutch goes from "off" to "on" all within 1 inch of movement. (Im not exaggerating - 1 inch!) Also running an ultra light flywheel. Its soooo freeking difficult to modulate.

I spoke to a few members in the forum that are running the triple carbon Tiltons on their cars and they all seem to say that the drivability and ease of engagement is much better compared to what Im currently running. With that said, Im looking forward to getting
the new clutch installed.

Anyhow, I staged my car at the line. Rather then quickly engaging the clutch and taking a chance that the clutch would start slipping
and burn to nothing right at the line, I gave a light amount of throttle slipped the clutch and stalled the car at the line!

Son of a B****! .....LOL. The car rolled out past the line 10 feet. (Talking about "deep staging" and how that kills ET and MPH ) Since I believed that would probably be my only opportunity to run a pass that evening, I re-started my engine after a few seconds of sitting there at the line, and took off.

Heres the video of the "Circus Act":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampKr3E6at0

Results were: 17.449 @ 145.88

I guess one can argue that trap speed could be compromised since I started from a dead stop 10 feet out from the line. I checked the
driftbox data during that pass and it shows that my trap at 1310 was 145.88 but adding the 10 feet to the back end of the track resulted in a 146.23 for that run.

I pulled the car around after the pass and parked it and smelt some burning coming from my clutch. I didnt detect any clutch slipping
during the run, but it evidentally was.

Here are the set backs that could have made the run perfect:

I have an exhaust leak (small crack) in my driver side header (whether this is effected the run any I dont know, but will get it patched up in a few days nevertheless). There was a 12 mph cross/headwind, clutch issues & a 10 foot deficit. But all and all, I ran what I ran.

On a previous test 1/4 mile pass on the driftbox I pulled a 148.6 trap.

*** I wanted to point out that during my run down the strip, the driftbox showed there was a .7% incline. Meaning the track climbs
up 9 feet from the start line to the 1320 mark. ***

Bottom line, the car is showing some promise. When I get her back into perfect shape, I will get back out to the strip and run her again.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 02-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
fastgreek is infamous around these parts
crazy mph

Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
Hey Keitha,

what was the boost during that run?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by besiktas
Hey Keitha,

what was the boost during that run?
Tried to dial in the boost to be a little higher but the Profec showed mid 1.9 bar range. 28-29 psi.

Last edited by keithta; 02-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Jesus focker. That thing rips.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keithta
Dialed it in to be a little higher but the Profec showed 1.9 bar.
My kit just arrived from proto, it's your previous setup with 3071's. What do you think my trap speed would be in 1.35 - 1.4 bar?

Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Nice run Keith! My car ran 146 mph when it made 850 rwhp as well, so i think your estimate on hp is spot on. this is also when i got my car to run a 4.86 s 60 - 130 mph time. So your car should definitely be in the 4's. Not sure if you had a chance to run 60 - 130 yet. i would love to run sledgehammer again as we have fine tweaked the tune to well over 900+ rwhp. i think it will easily break 150+ mph.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by dk996tt
Nice run Keith! My car ran 146 mph when it made 850 rwhp as well, so i think your estimate on hp is spot on. this is also when i got my car to run a 4.86 s 60 - 130 mph time. So your car should definitely be in the 4's. Not sure if you had a chance to run 60 - 130 yet. i would love to run sledgehammer again as we have fine tweaked the tune towell over 900+ rwhp. i think it will easily break 150+ mph.
ran a 4.54 a few weeks ago.

Last edited by keithta; 02-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
WOW!!!Congratulations Keith!!

Did u hit 5th gear?

Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Nice trap and 60-130, how much power does you car makes and which TURBOS ???

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
Serious MPH!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Great traps especially with a clutch that is suspect! You have a fast car as well as a looker! Sometimes I feel like painting my car white LOL
Congrats
Robert

Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
sleepys4 is infamous around these parts
That is a crazy quick MPH.... Congrats and it sounds great!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
That is one serious handicap you gave to your opponent

You will be in the 150's for sure once you get everything setup good. That is one mean machine!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Nice trap and 60-130, how much power does you car makes and which TURBOS ???
Thanks. Im running standard GT3076R's. I am guessing 850 whp. I will get dyno figures soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Strip *Shake Down Run* Keithta 997 Turbo 1/4 Mile