997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help with RUF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM
laxexquis is infamous around these parts
Help with RUF

Hi,

I have always heard of RUF, and know they are famous for some of the best Porsche tunning.

I am just a bit confused about what they offer.

I know that the fact I live in America limits my choices.

But are actual RUF cars available in America in addition to just the conversions?

How many RUF headquarters are there in America?

Is the RT12 available in America?

Also is the RTurbo just what the Turbo is called after conversion?

Looking forward to further discussion.

John

Last edited by laxexquis; 02-13-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Paging bbywu......

Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Check their web listing on the right side column. They are A#1.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Paging bbywu......
lol

There is only 1 Ruf dealership in the US. They are located in Dallas.

Ruf has focused much more on manufacturing Ruf VIN vehicles than tuning these days. Look at the RT12, RGT, and their shining achievement, the CTR3. All Ruf vehicles are available here in the US. As long as you have the cash.

While they offer very good tuning options, they tend to be expensive. Alternatively, there are many tuners, many US based, that have produced packages that provide performance levels far faster than what Ruf offers. They offer packages and conversions which are referred to as RTurbo conversions.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM
laxexquis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
lol

There is only 1 Ruf dealership in the US. They are located in Dallas.

Ruf has focused much more on manufacturing Ruf VIN vehicles than tuning these days. Look at the RT12, RGT, and their shining achievement, the CTR3. All Ruf vehicles are available here in the US. As long as you have the cash.

While they offer very good tuning options, they tend to be expensive. Alternatively, there are many tuners, many US based, that have produced packages that provide performance levels far faster than what Ruf offers. They offer packages and conversions which are referred to as RTurbo conversions.
Thanks! That helps a lot.

It's hard to believe that cars like the RT12 and RGT are considered vin vehicles and the RTurbo is considered a conversion as they seem similar.

The CTR3 is cool but it certainly is not something I could ever consider buying.

So the RGT is based on the GT3,
RTurbo is based on the Turbo,

but what is the RT12 (S) based on?

I am not exactly ready to purchase a RUF, but out of curiosity, which would you recommend for just enjoying a nice RUF?

Thanks again,
John

Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Ruf, TechArt and Gemballa are the best!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by laxexquis
Thanks! That helps a lot.

It's hard to believe that cars like the RT12 and RGT are considered vin vehicles and the RTurbo is considered a conversion as they seem similar.
The RTurbo was the designation for the 996 chasis Ruf VIN vehicle. It has been replaced by the RT12. Conversions for the 996TT and 997TT share little in common with their Ruf VIN'ed brethren.

RTurbo conversions and the RT12 are worlds apart. The RT12 shares almost nothing in common with the 997TT. It is a narrow body chasis, uses either RWD and AWD platforms, and a 3.8L M64 block. It uses traditional turbos not VTGs. It's aerodynamics are very different, as are its Cd. It's gear ratios are customizable. It has an integrated roll cage (which in itself is a near $20K fabrication and installation.)

So the RGT is based on the GT3,
RTurbo is based on the Turbo,
The RGT is a Ruf VIN vehicle. It is not a conversion. It's not based on anything except a Porsche 997 chassis.

but what is the RT12 (S) based on?
The RT12 is a Ruf VIN vehicle. Again, it is not a conversion, it is simply based on a 997 chassis.

I am not exactly ready to purchase a RUF, but out of curiosity, which would you recommend for just enjoying a nice RUF?
Any of them.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
if you are interested Ruf has a few preowned which are more affordable.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Like Bob said, the answer to your questions is yes, yes and yes. You can get anything Ruf from Dallas. But you gots to have the scratch

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
Has / can Ruf make their equivelent of a Cup car or at least a track ready car?

Major diet, race suspension-brakes-rollcage-bigger turbos ect....

Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM
greekm3 is infamous around these parts
My tuner was working for RUF many years and he was the engineer for CTR,CTRII and BTR...now he has his own company in FL and he is very close partner with RUF, maybe he can help you..if you are intresting for more details let me know

Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
evb1 is infamous around these parts
My friend has a RT12, very nice.

You should contact him at...

silverwolfgarage@yahoo.com

I have driven the car and it is a bullet...very nice fully custom.