997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPC Racing Blitzkrieg Hybrid Intercoolers: The Most Advanced IC on the Market Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
Why would you expect this? We have no idea what the conditions were when the testing was done. A IC can get heat soaked before 6500RPM, thereby diminishing the delta before redline.
So you are saying you think the test is done with a fixed fan arrangement blowing enough air to allow the new coolers to work up to about 4000rpm then not enough blow through to maintain the delta higher up the rev range ?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
If the IAT's exceed 50-55C prior to 6500 RPM, Motronics will start pulling back timing and boost.
Just re-read that bit - have you seen the temperatures in Germany at the moment, there aint going to be any hot IAT timing pulling going on

Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DINpower
Just re-read that bit - have you seen the temperatures in Germany at the moment, there aint going to be any hot IAT timing pulling going on
Did you see his car on the road with a datalog plot? Or did you see a chassis dyno?

How many dyno runs do you think it takes before a IC soaks? How many fans do you think it takes to simulate headwind cooling on the rear ducts? Where were they positioned?

Before a product is criticized, we should get the entire story...all the data, conditions, etc before passing judgement.

That being said, I think we've hijacked Casey's thread enough.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
HN-GT2997 is infamous around these parts
I did the test on the dyno to see the benefit of the IC without ecu modifying as I wanted to see it as its my car. we had the same vents and air flow and setup when we tested Stock, with exhaust and cats, and after with the IC installed just that run the car was full wet as of the snow on the streets so i think we lost some hp even. its just a sheet showing how it performed and very well as I say. Anyway I think that the IC are very very good so far as otherwise we would no see such a big difference on the dyno sheet with the same air and same temps in the dyno. I understand also that the driving on the streets would show the full potential of the IC. the final results will be anyway if the car has the modified ECU that is for sure the top end HP.

keep in mind the ECU are stock

the vents airflow was the same with all 3 tests even the temps around the same

with the IC the car had much more HP in lower RMP and NM then only the Exhaust that is for sure.

Last edited by HN-GT2997; 02-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Casey,

Interesting post and, may I say, a very bold claim.

May I point out a few things that I have some questions about? In no way do I mean to be critical of your product, I just feel like you have made some statements that need further clarification, and my questions may help zero in on them for the forum.

When you state that:

"Tube-Fin: This type of core is made by extending a series of tubes from one end plate to another. This design offers more efficient internal flow, hence less pressure drop across the core due to greater flow path area compared to a Bar-Plate intercooler of the same external size. The draw back of this design is less efficient heat transfer."

I am wondering where you are getting your data from? Indeed, the factory intercoolers are tube and fin style, but they are not extruded tube with integral fin. They are typically referred to as "hybrid tube and fin".

On the other hand, a "pure" tube and fin heat exchanger (intercooler) uses an extruded tube with integrally extruded fins as you describe:

http://awe-tuning.com/media/products...lers/MICRO.PDF

This type core does indeed produce a much lower pressure drop, but it is terrible in high velocity heat exchange (such as in a high revving auto engine). We extensively tested these cores as sourced from this company, but abandoned the project in 2001. They are good for low velocity industrial applications, however.

http://www.qst-corp.com/cooling.html

Further, may I ask how important you consider end tank internal aerodynamic flow to be in terms of advanced design, and what kind of testing you did and what air flow results you saw with your end tank design alone? Do you have any CFD screen captures you can share with the forum?

And lastly, what is the frontal surface area measurement of your cores? There seems to be a lot of importance placed on core thickness here in these forums, but a thicker core yields increasingly diminishing returns. By the time the external airflow reaches the rear of the core, it is carrying so much heat that it picked up from the front section of the core, that it can do little in absorbing more heat. Further, increasing intake tract volume can have a negative effect on turbo spool (not saying that is what is happening here with your cores, just trying to dispel the "thicker is better" myth).

Thumbs up for innovation!

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 02-15-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
So the intercoolers make most power difference at ~4000rpm and little at ~6500rpm when the intake charge temp is much higher ?
How does that work ? You guys have to be kidding posting that little gem up FFS
I have a hunch that most of the lower end gains you see in this dyno are from the lower pressure drop from these ICs. The temp difference advantages will begin to show after repeated pulls.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Those new ICs look great. Todd K. at Protomotive speaks pretty highly of them as well.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Toby, why dont you post some of your own real world testing of the ICs you manufactured? It will give everyone here a frame of reference of your knowledge as opposed to just rank cynicism.....

Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Toby, why dont you post some of your own real world testing of the ICs you manufactured? It will give everyone here a frame of reference of your knowledge as opposed to just rank cynicism.....
"Toby" as in TB993TT...the guy from Rennlist that believes all US Porsche Horsepower is exaggerated and refers to 6-speed as "6-bling"??!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-15-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
"Toby" as in TB993TT...the guy from Rennlist that believes all US Porsche Horsepower is exaggerated and refers to 6-speed as "6-bling"??!
Rumor has it.... Apparently, he is going upscale on the "6"

Must be painful for him that 200+mph standing mile cars grow on trees around here....all with non-Porsche HP

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Rumor has it.... Apparently, he is going upscale on the "6"

Must be painful for him that 200+mph standing mile cars grow on trees around here....all with non-Porsche HP
200+ standing mile cars, 4 second 60-130 cars, 140+ mph 1/4 mile cars...

Wow...did you see that?! It was DINpower's credibility flying out the window the second his true identity was revealed.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Scott, who am i ? hint ""if they are not secans and cost 15k they are junk !!!!"" LOL

Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Banned
Thanks for the playground welcome

KPG, I know it is a matter of time before I get banned from here (calling this place "6 Bling" must surely have the clock ticking ?) and I really have no interest in chatting about the explodamotors or bolt on 750hp "benders"...... There are some people on here who don't seem to post on RL who I wanted to interact with like HN-GT2, I am very interested in what he is doing and he is going to be doing some proper fast road testing whose results I will compare with...... To all the chassis dyno intercooler testing experts, good luck with that

Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
This is a BIC,

Looks just like yours?

Its obvious your cars are making gobs of power using these, almost 700whp on VTG's and pump, so this is in no way a criticism, just trying to justify whats in my head..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
KPG
Thanks for the playground welcome

KPG, I know it is a matter of time before I get banned from here (calling this place "6 Bling" must surely have the clock ticking ?) and I really have no interest in chatting about the explodamotors or bolt on 750hp "benders"...... There are some people on here who don't seem to post on RL who I wanted to interact with like HN-GT2, I am very interested in what he is doing and he is going to be doing some proper fast road testing whose results I will compare with...... To all the chassis dyno intercooler testing experts, good luck with that
Toby, I hope you stick around for awhile to be perfectly honest. You do bring quite a bit of knowledge to the table and that is always a good thing to everyone but your arrogant delivery of that knowledge needs to be softened a bit. You are NOT always right and RS tuning is not the sole source of innovation in the Porche world, there are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. I have had an event filled journey in my Porsche travels and much of what i took for gospel was not to be. It opens your eyes and your mind to alternatives. Welcome aboard, I promise not to let any of the playground bullies in the 6 'bling" sandbox give you a wedgie and take your lunch money.... seriously though, welcome aboard

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPC Racing Blitzkrieg Hybrid Intercoolers: The Most Advanced IC on the Market Today