997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo 997.2 pdk or manual better for resale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM
wristtoys has a spectacular aura aboutwristtoys has a spectacular aura about
Turbo 997.2 pdk or manual better for resale?

With the new paddles and better 0-60 times I am liking the PDK. However I am concerned about resale since I get a new car on average once a year.

What do you think?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wristtoys
With the new paddles and better 0-60 times I am liking the PDK. However I am concerned about resale since I get a new car on average once a year.

What do you think?

I believe PDK will have the definitive edge over a 6 speed manual in regards to resale. Turbo cars benefit significantly with the use of automated transmissions, as there is no loss of boost between shifts. Part of the new turbo's bad-*** personality is due to PDK. I am a die hard stick fan and just bought a GT3. With that said if and when I get back into a turbo, it'll definitely have PDK.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If you are looking for resale value as your only indicator, I would agree with 911dev...PDK and all it's performance advantages will likely retain better value.

My guess is most manual transmission drivers are purists...and as such, will probably look to the previous generation for their purchases due to greater cost savings and engine design...just an opinion.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
MUCH bigger market for PDK than manual. I'd say at least a 5:1 ratio.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
JCo
JCo is infamous around these parts
I suppose I'm biased but would like to think the PDK will retain it's value better as well. I agree that the purists will always prefer the ability to row through the gears, but the PDK will probably appeal to a larger demographic over time.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
i cant be the only one who would pay a premium for a 6spd. seems like pdk cars far outnumber 6spd. i would think that fact alone would give the manual a SLIGHT premium in the used market.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
I will tell you that MOST of the turbos since '07 that were ordered from Park Place in Dallas have been Tips. I questioned that in the beginning, but in this region, that's what sells. All of the new '10's they ordered have been PDK thus far, and with its performance I can't imagine it hurting your resale whatsoever. It has a lot to do with the wives wanting to drive it too. I will definitely be getting a PDK with no second thoughts for this reason.... I sold my '08 Tip in one day, not an issue.

The gap is narrowing and for good reason...

Last edited by Ted; 02-24-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think these cars will drop in value hard enough not to worry about resale in regards to tansmission choice. The color you choose may have more of an impact 3-4 years down the road

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
I can guarantee you that when it's 4 years old, people who couldn't spend $150+k on a new one will be scared to have this car out of warranty. The repair bill on this tranny will be cost-prohibitive.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AlexM
I can guarantee you that when it's 4 years old, people who couldn't spend $150+k on a new one will be scared to have this car out of warranty. The repair bill on this tranny will be cost-prohibitive.

That's a good point. I presume PDK will cost alot more than tiptronic or for that matter 6 speed should something go wrong after warranty.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Thank goodness for CPO! I would think the PDK will hold up pretty well over time considering the car controls the parameters. Now if you start modding it to make it react even quicker then who knows... I don't think Porsche has had a lot of issues with the Tips from what I've heard. The second gear pop out only had to do with manuals and that was caused by people not getting them fully into 2nd gear during shift for the most part...

We'll see if the PDK will hold up better than the GTR's tranny, sure hope/would think so.... I know they'll stand behind it for sure, can't really blame the driver with the PDK. There's a lot of torque going on in both car's auto trans, along with a lot of weight to push around.

Last edited by Ted; 02-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you are looking for resale value as your only indicator, I would agree with 911dev...PDK and all it's performance advantages will likely retain better value.

My guess is most manual transmission drivers are purists...and as such, will probably look to the previous generation for their purchases due to greater cost savings and engine design...just an opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the manual will hold better value from a purist standpoint.

As PDK gets older, it's going to inevitably have more maintenance issues and higher running costs, how much is TBD. The performance advantage is also not what many people think it is. Combine that with the rarity of people buying manuals and the market will be flooded with PDK's as that's pretty much all people are ordering. Once the car is out of warranty and the maintenance issues are realized out of pocket, the PDK will lose some luster. The fun factor cannot be matched by the PDK either, and being that Porsche is a largely purist community, manuals will hold value.

In the end, the PDK is much faster than a Tip, but I think for resale purposes, it won't do much better in relation to the manual.

That is my educated guess.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
If I was buying one now I would test both but still probably prefer 6 sp, PDK would get boring, comparing it to my 6sp now vs CTT tip?? JMO

Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the manual will hold better value from a purist standpoint.

As PDK gets older, it's going to inevitably have more maintenance issues and higher running costs, how much is TBD. The performance advantage is also not what many people think it is. Combine that with the rarity of people buying manuals and the market will be flooded with PDK's as that's pretty much all people are ordering. Once the car is out of warranty and the maintenance issues are realized out of pocket, the PDK will lose some luster. The fun factor cannot be matched by the PDK either, and being that Porsche is a largely purist community, manuals will hold value.

In the end, the PDK is much faster than a Tip, but I think for resale purposes, it won't do much better in relation to the manual.

That is my educated guess.
Could be...however, I think the appeal of the current 997.2TT is its blazing performance, which can only be reproduced with PDK. I think people looking to buy a manual transmission turbo may elect to buy an 07-09 and skip the 2010 model all together.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.