997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996TT X50 or 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I agree with Terminator about the platform. The 997 TT went well over the threshold of GT cruiser with the increase in size. Bigger and softer is where Porsche went with both the 997 TT and 997 GT3. They added enough hp, suspension and other subtle changes to make the cars faster, but it was a substantial change of direction for Porsche (and the cars were still softer).

Despite Porsche BS marketing, the 996 Turbo is significantly lighter than the 997. The 996 TT is about the same weight with over 50 lbs worth of spare tire and tools in the boot lid. And the 997 TT is significantly heavier than Porsche claims, as is the GT3. 997 TT has no spare, and is not a lighter car as Porsche would have you to believe. They put those retardedly heavy 19" wheels on it, that should say enough about what they were thinking right there.

Overall the 997 TT is a better car, but was not built with the same frame of mind as the 996 TT and it seems to show on a regular basis.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I'm sorry guys but the 997TT is better overall. I agree that the only factor decision between a 996TT and 997TT is the budget. Both are top cars, but the 997 is a little more ahead and refined.

The turbos abrupt kick of the 996TT is funnier, but the VTG's smooth boost kick makes it alot easier to handle, specially on the track or wet/snow conditions.

As for the platform stock to stock, the 997TT is better (X50 vs PASM/sport on). With just a set of stiffer lowering springs and stiffer sway bars ($1k-$1.5k) you can transform the 997TT into a very competitive car in the track. To make the things more serious if you add track tires then you are able to embarassing a bunch of track cars, including GT3's and GT2's. With these few mods, the 997TT transmit such a high level of confidence that it need a top skill driver in a track car to outperform you.

Last edited by Tiago; 02-27-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Heavychevy is spot on. Last year in autumn we went to a track day. My car weighted in at 1,529kg no driver. (cargraphics exhaust is 12kg lighter than stock, which makes the results off by 1kg on stock weight). My friend’s stock 997TT weighted in at a whopping 1,693kg no driver. (So much for the weight claims for 997TT of 1,580kg by Porsche). If you don’t believe me go weigh your 997TT’s on commercial scales somewhere and report back the results. We tried another 997TT as we could not believe it and result was the same.

Last edited by Terminator; 02-27-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I believe that 1580kg is a baseline car with no fluids. Add heated seats, sunroof and tiptronic and i bet that you are adding +100kg to a baseline car.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tiago
I'm sorry guys but the 997TT is better overall. I agree that the only factor decision between a 996TT and 997TT is the budget. Both are top cars, but the 997 is a little more ahead and refined.

The turbos abrupt kick of the 996TT is funnier, but the VTG's smooth boost kick makes it alot easier to handle, specially on the track or wet/snow conditions.

As for the platform stock to stock, the 997TT is better (X50 vs PASM/sport on). With just a set of stiffer lowering springs and stiffer sway bars ($1k-$1.5k) you can transform the 997TT into a very competitive car in the track. To make the things more serious if you add track tires then you are able to embarassing a bunch of track cars, including GT3's and GT2's. With these few mods, the 997TT transmit such a high level of confidence that it need a top skill driver in a track car to outperform you.
I see you speak from experience. Putting just the lowering springs on the car without changing shocks is a sure way to ruin handling not improving it. 997TT turbo platform is too nose heavy – massive understeer on the limit! Drive on the limit in to a corner with a 996TT and then with 997TT. Report back what you find and hopfuly you will back off before going straight hitting the barrier. 996TT to 997TT is what GT3 is to 996TT. .

Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tiago
I believe that 1580kg is a baseline car with no fluids. Add heated seats, sunroof and tiptronic and i bet that you are adding +100kg to a baseline car.
Agreed. But the fact remains that the 997TT fully loaded versus 996TT fully loaded equals 153kg of "realistic on the scale" diference. Furthermore, this means that the power/weight ratio for both cars is: 272bhp/tonne for the 996TT versus 283bhp/tonne for the 997TT which all of the certain isn't all that much. And as we are talking X50 here 996TT S comes in at a 292bhp/t. .

Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
My friend’s stock 997TT weighted in at a whopping 1,693kg no driver. (So much for the weight claims for 997TT of 1,580kg by Porsche). If you don’t believe me go weigh your 997TT’s on commercial scales somewhere and report back the results.
I just had my car corner balanced and was given the sheet with all the weights. The total weight is 3678lbs (1668kg) with slightly more than half a tank of gas and 160lbs driver ballast.

Stock wheels, adaptive sports seats (heavy), all options, and probably 15-20lbs in the trunk that we forgot to remove.

Admittedly they are some weight savings: exhaust, PCCB, aero kit, and headers. I can't quantify those as the car wasn't weighed before that stuff was added.

But still, without the driver ballast you can get the weight in under 1600kg (3518lbs in my case).

Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Admittedly they are some weight savings: exhaust, PCCB, aero kit, and headers. I can't quantify those as the car wasn't weighed before that stuff was added.
12kg exhaust, 6kg per each rotor = 24kg, aerokit ? and headers ? I recon you have at least 60kg saving over stock car which is about what I've stated. I guess car to car there will be slight discrepancies. Anyhow, 1650+kg is getting heavy. 996TT at 1,540kg even is too heavy for my liking. I think 1,350kg for a true sports car is about the limit.

Last edited by Terminator; 02-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Wink

12kg exhaust, 6kg per each rotor = 24kg, aerokit ? and headers ? I recon you have at least 60kg saving over stock car which is about what I've stated. I guess car to car there will be slight discrepancies. Anyhow, 1650+kg is getting heavy. 996TT at 1,540kg even is too heavy for my liking. I think 1,350kg for a true sports car is about the limit.

Firstly ive never yet seen anyone buy a 996tt over a 997tt who had the money unless they wanted a lesser financial exposure in a car for a track hack. As a daily driver....never. Also never read anywhere that the 996tt is the better drive or the better car. Porsche marketing may well be biased but all the Journo opinions and mag reviews too....cmon....they all cant have been bought and paid for by Porsche . I know a number of guys that have moved from 996tt's to 997tt's and all say the 997tt is not just a little better but a LOT better ( the same way as i found the 997 when i moved from the 996). Then there's Porsche's nurburgring track test times between these two cars in stock trim. I understand you love your 996tt with a passion and no doubt the way you have it set up its an awsome car but youre arument that the 996tt is better than the 997tt is unsustainable in the real world so best not to waste energy on this. Also, weight is a moot point here. Just look at GTR....heavier again yet faster around a circuit. As said before in some of the earlier posts what we are talking here is a money issue, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
So reading between the lines here, it seems that the GT2 which is similarly priced to a 997TT is the best choice between the options mentioned so far..
The lightest of them all, X50 power with only RWD and the interior being its biggest draw back

Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
996TT at 1,540kg even is too heavy for my liking. I think 1,350kg for a true sports car is about the limit.
I reckon you should consider a Cayman S...or a Miata MX-5...lighter still.

I have nothing against the 996 EXCEPT the looks of the front end. It's just butt ugly.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlexN
So reading between the lines here, it seems that the GT2 which is similarly priced to a 997TT is the best choice between the options mentioned so far..
The lightest of them all, X50 power with only RWD and the interior being its biggest draw back
Depends on whether youre talking 996 Gt2 or 997 Gt2. Ive only ever heard glowing reports on 997 GT2 so thats a no brainer particularly as a track car . 996 Gt2 on the other hand ive heard it frequently said she's a very fast car but a real handfull. Some call it the widowmaker meaning your first off may be your last .

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Yeah, I was reffering to the 996 GT2. The 997 GT2 is no where near the price range mentioned in this thread. (Unfortunately ..)

Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Firstly ive never yet seen anyone buy a 996tt over a 997tt who had the money unless they wanted a lesser financial exposure in a car for a track hack. As a daily driver....never. Also never read anywhere that the 996tt is the better drive or the better car. Porsche marketing may well be biased but all the Journo opinions and mag reviews too....cmon....they all cant have been bought and paid for by Porsche . I know a number of guys that have moved from 996tt's to 997tt's and all say the 997tt is not just a little better but a LOT better ( the same way as i found the 997 when i moved from the 996). Then there's Porsche's nurburgring track test times between these two cars in stock trim. I understand you love your 996tt with a passion and no doubt the way you have it set up its an awsome car but youre arument that the 996tt is better than the 997tt is unsustainable in the real world so best not to waste energy on this. Also, weight is a moot point here. Just look at GTR....heavier again yet faster around a circuit. As said before in some of the earlier posts what we are talking here is a money issue, nothing more, nothing less.
I know you 997TT guys have to justify the purchase of a brand new 997TT somehow, but 997TT is not a 911 revolution but a slight evolution and every magazine stated this fact. Platform is the same. Apart from “better looks” and more power due to upped boost levels and some marketing bits and pieces, in the real world of driving (on the actual roads and track) 996TT is more of a driver’s car and it’s more involving to drive. To the original poster; I am saying if looks and or driving the newest 911 isn’t an issue buy 996TT X50, toss 8K$ into it and the car will blow any stock 997TT cleanout of the water. Period. And it will be a great daily driver to boot! .

I personally would not replace my car for a 997TT. And it’s not about money. I could go and buy it tomorrow. And that says something. I am older, wiser and a racer and I have learned the hard way that in today’s world run by marketers, newer is not necessarily better. So, 997TT owners I would consider this when buying a 998TT. And don’t forget 998 will be the “new king” soon and 997 will find itself in the same shoes as the 996. I am looking forward to reading how 997 guys will be defending 997’s against the new 998. . On 993TT door locks were made in Germany by Bosch. On my 996TT and 997TT they were made in France. I bet 998TT will have them made in China... some food for thought. As financial pressures increase badge remains but the rest is a compromise and that’s why the dry sump engine will disappear in 998TT and that’s a bad thing. Not to mention Porsche will now be owned by Volkswagen. My next car will therefore be Ferrari 458 at least I will know I am buying junk made in Italy. .

Last edited by Terminator; 02-28-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 AM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
My first turbo 996 turbo

My 2nd turbo 997 turbo

My current turbo 996 turbo

You know my answer! But you can't go wrong with either!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT X50 or 997TT