997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996TT X50 or 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Judging by the plumit of 997.1 TT values, they will not hold value very well. 996 TTS's were still selling for 70-80k+ into late 2006, early 07 as 5-6 year old cars. The 997.1's are there after only 2-3 years

Not looking so good for them right now.
Gee, I wonder if the present economy would have anything to do with that?

BTW, how are the 996 prices today compared to 997 prices?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Dez, the LSD is optional on the 997. But I would argue the AWD is substantially better in hazard conditions...snow, rain, ice (which I have to deal with almost 6 months out of a year.) There is a considerable difference in driving dynamics for the 997TT in those conditions.

bob
I agree with that.

Originally Posted by speed21
.................................................. .................................................. ..

Well if prices of the 997tt's are on the bottom in 996tt price teritorry, then nows the time for that 997tt!!. No sense paying the same money for yesterdays news .
Huh?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo

Well in Europe 997TT cars are 156K euros new. Same condition used cars are sold at; 2007 997TT's are now selling at about 83K euros. 2004 996TT's are selling at about 60K euros. So the gap has really narrowed. When I bought my car 3 years ago the gap was 60K euros! According to one dealer I've talked to, the 996TT's are going up and the 7's down but I find that hard to belive but - dunno.... The downturn in the economy has hurt the 7's more than the 6's I guess. But realistically, who can actually sell the cars at those prices at the moment and who would actually want to? Selling prices and sold prices are two different things.

Last edited by Terminator; 03-03-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
When I look at my car, I think nothing wrong with it. Not the underdog. 911TT, 530bhp, great noise, suspension sorted, It's a keeper.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I agree with that.

Huh?
I'm confused why you are confused with my post. My comments were merely an interpretation of your own post indicating 997tt prices over your way had taken a major hit in comparison to how 996tts pricing had been, somewhat indicating to me that 997tt pricing was more than likely in the vicinity of the 996tt's current pricing. 1 dont know your pricing on either of these cars other than you enjoy infinately more favourable pricing (on new cars) than what we Aussies could ever hope to imagine. If ive made an incorrect assumption i appologise, however, one thing that required little interpretation was your putting the sly boot in on the 997tt. My comment that it is therefore a great time to advantage the 997tt (due to its very cheap pricing) was merely pointing out where the smarter money would be if indeed it was close to 996tts pricing.....which is a fair suggestion.

Last edited by speed21; 03-03-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm confused why you are confused with my post. My comments were merely an interpretation of your own post indicating 997tt prices over your way had taken a major hit in comparison to how 996tts pricing had been, somewhat indicating to me that 997tt pricing was more than likely in the vicinity of the 996tt's current pricing. 1 dont know your pricing on either of these cars other than you enjoy infinately more favourable pricing (on new cars) than what we Aussies could ever hope to imagine. If ive made an incorrect assumption i appologise, however, one thing that required little interpretation was your putting the sly boot in on the 997tt. My comment that it is therefore a great time to advantage the 997tt (due to its very cheap pricing) was merely pointing out where the smarter money would be if indeed it was close to 996tts pricing.....which is a fair suggestion.
I don't believe I suggested the prices were close at this time. In fact I said the 996 TT's are roughly half of the price of a 997.1 TT on average.

We were talking about holding value. My point was that the 996 TT's price was more stable at this point in it's production life (or slightly thereafter). Which would have been 2006, and 2007 when 996 TT's were still selling in the 70k-80k (US$).

Of course the global market and facelifted model could also be hurting the 997.1 TT's values. Someone else suggested the 997 TT will hold value better than the 996 TT did, and I was just countering that point based on current trends.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 AM
It's a fair suggestion. However, the two cars in Europe are still 25K Euros apart and 3 years apart, the advantage going to the 997TT being newer. I maintain that 997TT is a newer and “better looking” variant but far from a revolution of the 996TT. (Only to us Porsche owners and the people in the know – far and few between - the cars look different, as for the majority of people, seeing them in isolation to each other the two are the same car – people still ask me at petrol station if my car is the new 911 – go figure). 997TT is the same platform as 996TT (let’s not split hair) with updated looks, different interior and some engineering improvements which in the real world make 1% difference. The rest is made up by the driver anyway - let’s not kid ourselves; Walter Rohl would outdrive most of us in a 964 turbo, weather we are in 997TT or 996TT. An X50 can be made a better handling car and a faster car for much less money than the difference in price between the cars. So if the looks aren’t all-out important, why would someone buy 997TT over 996TT for 25-30K more? Well, I simply can't see the point. However they are both great cars, so to the original poster just buy what get's you going. Cars like these are purchased with heart not with brain - being 993, 996 or 997. We are all part of the same family, so let's just enjoy them for what they are, eventhough the younger brother is a fat bastard.

Last edited by Terminator; 03-03-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I don't believe I suggested the prices were close at this time. In fact I said the 996 TT's are roughly half of the price of a 997.1 TT on average.

We were talking about holding value. My point was that the 996 TT's price was more stable at this point in it's production life (or slightly thereafter). Which would have been 2006, and 2007 when 996 TT's were still selling in the 70k-80k (US$).

Of course the global market and facelifted model could also be hurting the 997.1 TT's values. Someone else suggested the 997 TT will hold value better than the 996 TT did, and I was just countering that point based on current trends.
The 997’s are losing value faster than the 996’s. This is due to recession but it is a fact. I am wondering what will happen to value of both 996 and 997 in 5 years time when the new 999 will be employing electric motors and no combustion engine.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Terminator
The 997’s are losing value faster than the 996’s. This is due to recession but it is a fact. I am wondering what will happen to value of both 996 and 997 in 5 years time when the new 999 will be employing electric motors and no combustion engine.
It ( 964/993/996/997/any w/ a combustion engine ) will go up in Price and the 999 or any w/ electric motors will put Porsche under. ( IMO )<O</O
<O</O
Seriously, what are they going to do, put a sound of the engine on a digital file in the radio so when you want to fill like you’re driving a real car you can hear it? <O</O

Oh yeah, the yellow Turbo is Sweet!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Thanks. Can the 997 fuel system be retrofitted to a 996TT?
Doug,

It can be retrofitted...but I believe it's very expensive to do so. Most tuners use aftermarket fuel systems instead, due to cost.

The reason I could kick myself because the dealer was practically giving away that leftover TTS in '05, the next year I ordered the 997TT for sticker.
Ouch...

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-03-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Terminator
Awesome looking car w/ great #s. But is it a complete electric only car? That is what I was talking about, still that is an eye turner.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Tall T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo

Obviously, the present economy has a LOT to do with where prices on 996 TTs were in 06/07 vs. where 997 TT prices are now.

I've been actively shopping for both models the last several weeks. From what I've seen, asking prices for newly CPOd MY 2003 996 TT prices in excellent condition w/ 25-30K miles start in the $45-$50K range. The X50 performance option seems to add around $5K-$8K. Newly CPOd MY 2007 997 TTs w/ essential options such as the sports chrono pkg and having 15-20K miles on the clock start at around $80K-$85K & go up from there. Prices are really all over the road on both models, but especially so on the 997s.

Personally, I think that 996 TTs have pretty much depreciated about as much as they are going to. I think the lower priced cars will come down a little more & higher priced cars in similar condition will have to come down closer to where the lower priced cars are priced if the owners want to sell. 997 TTs may be another matter. With the release of the 997.2 TT & TTS (and the positive magazine articles along with the truly remarkable performance numbers being published), 997.1 TTs may well begin to depreciate considerably more quickly. Of course, this is assuming that the new 3.8 L engine & PDK tranny prove reliable. If not, the older 997s may well hold their value & even appreciate over current prices.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=heavychevy;2749385]I don't believe I suggested the prices were close at this time. In fact I said the 996 TT's are roughly half of the price of a 997.1 TT on average.
.................................................. .................................................. .

Didnt see "are roughly half of the price price" being said at all. Maybe you were infering that in some way but as i said, your comments to me were open to a different interpretation. Anyways.....no worries....all's cool. .
As terminator points out we are all supposed to be from the same family so, lets all act like it.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tall T
Obviously, the present economy has a LOT to do with where prices on 996 TTs were in 06/07 vs. where 997 TT prices are now.

I've been actively shopping for both models the last several weeks. From what I've seen, asking prices for newly CPOd MY 2003 996 TT prices in excellent condition w/ 25-30K miles start in the $45-$50K range. The X50 performance option seems to add around $5K-$8K. Newly CPOd MY 2007 997 TTs w/ essential options such as the sports chrono pkg and having 15-20K miles on the clock start at around $80K-$85K & go up from there. Prices are really all over the road on both models, but especially so on the 997s.

Personally, I think that 996 TTs have pretty much depreciated about as much as they are going to. I think the lower priced cars will come down a little more & higher priced cars in similar condition will have to come down closer to where the lower priced cars are priced if the owners want to sell. 997 TTs may be another matter. With the release of the 997.2 TT & TTS (and the positive magazine articles along with the truly remarkable performance numbers being published), 997.1 TTs may well begin to depreciate considerably more quickly. Of course, this is assuming that the new 3.8 L engine & PDK tranny prove reliable. If not, the older 997s may well hold their value & even appreciate over current prices.
.................................................. ................................................

So Tall T where are you up to? Come to a verdict as such? Or, have we just confused you further. We're now 5 pages in and my curiosity is starting to get the better of me . That constant pounding comming from the heavy chevy and terminator campsites indicates a decision will need to be made soon to put all this to bed. WSY? .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT X50 or 997TT