997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996TT X50 or 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skandalis447
no my friend...996TT maf is rated at 420-450 hp...when the car is high hp,above 600hp,maf reches its limits and it is easy to be burned...this is the reason that very high hp 996TT cars eliminate stock maf and go with Ford or Hitachi maf...on the other hand 997TT have two seperate mafs,one for each turbo...and so there is no possibility to reach the limit of each one (approx.1400hp total)
That's nice, but having 2 points of failure over 1 still remains. A MAF sensor is a part that wears with mileage, afterall.

Originally Posted by Terminator
997tt.2 is out and i dont hear 997tt .1 owners whining and *****ing as you are saying they will do. And then..saying you cant wait to hear the carry on of 997.1 owners when 991tt/998tt arrives.
I guess you haven't been on rennlist lately where overall theme in the 997 Turbo forum is that Porsche has taken a step back w/ their non-dry-sumped, non-Metzger/M64/GT1, DFI engine block that can only handle 550hp before it starts coughing rods. You'd swear the sky was falling after reading those threads and they'll make you want a GTR instead.

For the record, I have no dog in this hunt and if I could afford it, I would get the 997 Turbo because I think it's an improvement over the 996 Turbo as an overall package.

///Michael

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
There may not be a huge performance delta, but the advantages of the 997 are pretty clear to me:

-Better breathing heads
-Better breathing cams
-Better fuel system
-Better coilpacks
-Better turbos
-Better AWD system
-Better intake system
-Nicer interior (subjective)

It may be heavier and only slightly quicker, but it's a better overall platform with many upgrades from the 996 version.

Whether the upgrades are commensurate to the price delta is subjective as well. But even though I'm a huge 996 fan, I believe it's worth the extra $$.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=Terminator;2750803]
Originally Posted by speed21

Nowadays especially in the car industry, I find that newer is not necessarily better. .
Terminator that may well be the case with certain mainstream brands but dont forget we are talking about Porsche here. This manufacturer really puts a lot of thought, hard work and effort into delivering a better, superior car, everytime and that is clearly evidenced in every newer iteration. I cannot think of one solitary example where there has been any evidence to suggest "improvemnets" have placed a newer P car behind its predecessor.
What unfortunately occuredd with 997tt was Porsche had become somewhat complacent due to many other manufacturer's continually trailing in their wake with their newer models.
Unfortunately for Porsche, after 997tt was released and received the usual glory, accolades and recognition etc, as being the new invincible weapon as such all of a sudden Nissan GTR came out of the blocks fighting with its r35 with all sorts of claims some of which have been convincingly proven and recognised, and, some of which are yet to convince. Regardless of all that what ensued was a beat up session against 997tt for basically failing to match GTR in certain key areas of handling performance. GTR also being substantially cheaper only further stimulated the beatings against the 997tt. and the Porsche brand. For anyone to suggest that 997tt was a flop is simply being opportunistic for their own purpose. Porsche has since responded with 997.2 addressing certain key points of critisism leveled against 997tt.1, but again based on GTR's strengths over 997.1. Had GTR not been produced 997tt would have held on to its hero hat until the next iteration. Gtr has actually done all P car owners a huge favour now. Look....now weve got "flappy paddles" and im sure there will be more to come . Watch out GTR!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
That's nice, but having 2 points of failure over 1 still remains. A MAF sensor is a part that wears with mileage, afterall.

I guess you haven't been on rennlist lately where overall theme in the 997 Turbo forum is that Porsche has taken a step back w/ their non-dry-sumped, non-Metzger/M64/GT1, DFI engine block that can only handle 550hp before it starts coughing rods. You'd swear the sky was falling after reading those threads and they'll make you want a GTR instead.

For the record, I have no dog in this hunt and if I could afford it, I would get the 997 Turbo because I think it's an improvement over the 996 Turbo as an overall package.

///Michael
Nope havent been watching rennlist lately. Havent the time. Anway for all of what you say is or may be going on in Rennlist, from what i've so far seen commented on 6speedonline (re comments on 997.2 not having the Metzger block) none are "winging" as such, moreso are merely pointing out that 997.2 has gone to a different block platform that is not tried proven and tested in their minds. Its a fair question too. Some have said they would prefer to sit and wait in their 997tt.1's to see what problems may eventuate. Thats also fair comment, and NOT "winging" like what ive witnessed going on here where a newer modal (997tt)has taken the crown away (from 996tt) and, all the glory with it.
I havent seen or heard of any 997.1 owner bag the new .2 car outside of questioning the longevity of the block and engine, Have you? They all seem very impressed with the performance and the numbers. I know I am. I guess for those that dont have a 997tt period, and, have the money to buy either, then they have a choice which car to buy. Both .1 and .2 look pretty much identical physically. Now, If the physicality of the new car had changed dramatically then that may produce different outcomes for these buyers. Also consider the .2 is at the end of the 997 model cycle and many (inc myself) would prefer to sit and wait till the next iteration 998tt/991tt surfaces in favour of spending up at this stage only to take a big bath in a few years from now when the 991tt arrives. No sense taking 2 baths. I guess it all comes down to how much money you really have to throw around on a motor vehicle.....a point made by many earlier on this post.. only to be given a later beating for saying so. Now If I had large portions of "tear up dollars" and didnt give a rats (from having so much disposable loot to spend) then i would go out today and take a punt on a 997tt.2 100%. Afterall so what if it sh ts itself, moneys no object, you'd uust go buy another one . To those lucky 997tt.2 owners i say enjoy...you lucky lucky bastards!!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
hellow hellow
count me in i didn't know that's the 996tt owners have the right to compare there car with the newer generation and believe there's a compression between the two cars guys guys guys !!
the 996tt model has nothing to be compared with 997tt end of story !! hushhhhhh
BYE BYE Finish !! Go ZLEEB .. DRINK MILK And Goo Dream No Compare

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Zohan?

Borat?

WTH?

Believe there is a compression?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
I havent seen or heard of any 997.1 owner bag the new .2 car outside of questioning the longevity of the block and engine, Have you?
Yes, on rennlist.

There are a few users that bought the 997.1 over the 997.2 because they feel 9A1 engine is not up to par w/ the M64/GT1 block. There are users that are vehemontly opposed to having a wet sump engine over a dry sump engine. Because of the 9A1 is "inferior," the 997.2 is also "inferior."

Yes, you are correct, there are some that have the "let's wait and see what the 997.2 w/ the 9A1 is like in the long term." I'd say those users don't participate in the 997.2 dogpile and simply quiet.

///Michael

Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Tall T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
hellow hellow
count me in i didn't know that's the 996tt owners have the right to compare there car with the newer generation and believe there's a compression between the two cars guys guys guys !!
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do you base the first part of your post on? You list a couple of 997s in your sig but no 996s. Do you have experience with the earlier car?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Tall T, Since you have open yourself up for advice. Go drive them both. Drive them as close to the same roads and amount of time as you can as well. Think on it, then drive them again. Think on it and do like you have done here and ask people who own them lots of questions. Ask other car salesman that deals w/ Porsche their views. Read every magazine article you can on both. Then drive them again. Get the finance in place for either, sleep on it, and get up and buy 1 and never look back.

Or not. <O</O

Old 03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Banned
[quote=Michael-Dallas;2752392]Yes, on rennlist.
I'll check it out when i get the time and see what the toss is about.
If these lot are saying gen2 is no good just because it doesnt have a wet sump then thats just questioneing the longevity and tune potential I spose. Little premature to make the call the car is no good at all just because of that. I'd be quite happy with one I know that . The gen 2 car definately goes better than gen 1...no question bout that surely? Maybe there is some sour grapes out there because it goes better?.Not much to moan about the looks as it looks the same as gen 1 except a few new hard to pick niceties.

There are a few users that bought the 997.1 over the 997.2 because they feel 9A1 engine is not up to par w/ the M64/GT1 block. There are users that are vehemontly opposed to having a wet sump engine over a dry sump engine. Because of the 9A1 is "inferior," the 997.2 is also "inferior."

Fair call i guess. Anyways as i said before there will always be skeptics when an engine moves off a tried proven platform. No one really knows enough about its durability yet and it's their choice what 997tt they buy afterall they are both 997tt's...current vehicles. So some carry on is to be expected here. It would be a totally different story if gen 1 was a noticeably earlier styled car but these two are hard to tell apart unlike 996tt and 997tt which are completely different looking and series vehicles. Different ball game really to whats gone on here .

Yes, you are correct, there are some that have the "let's wait and see what the 997.2 w/ the 9A1 is like in the long term." I'd say those users don't participate in the 997.2 dogpile and simply quiet. Well they are the sensible ones. No sense behaving like that..

Well i've always been one to keep quiet and see what surfaces problem wise and im sure most 997tt owners will too but there will always be a percentage that have to voice their opinions and thats fine really.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Drive both….buy what you prefer.
I have both a 996TT (UMW flash / Europipe exhaust, etc) & 997 GT2 (RS Tuned 600PS / Akrapovic Evolution Race Exhaust) in the garage. I enjoy driving the 996TT at the limit….the 7GT2 just scares the crap out of me.
Either car will not disappoint you.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Banned
[quote=MGS996TT;2753091]Drive both….buy what you prefer.
I have both a 996TT (UMW flash / Europipe exhaust, etc) & 997 GT2 (RS Tuned 600PS / Akrapovic Evolution Race Exhaust) in the garage. I enjoy driving the 996TT at the limit….the 7GT2 just scares the crap out of me.
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Mgs good to see another Aussie chime in . Nice Pics and love that GT2. Black is awsome on that car. Btw hows the EP on the 996tt? Any drone at all? Im thinking of changing my tubi for something different.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by yalmutawa
hellow hellow

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do you base the first part of your post on? You list a couple of 997s in your sig but no 996s. Do you have experience with the earlier car?
my sister in low have a 996TTS based on that !

Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The 996tt & 997tt are both great cars, you really can't go wrong. As to the new wet sump, as I've said on RL, when Porsche starts racing it I'll drink the kool ade

Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I had a 6 speed 03 996 TT X50 and put approx. 30K plus miles on her in 3 years. I also went through 2 trannies and a gear shift linkage (all covered under warranty). She was bone stock and sounded great. FWIW she was the most fun ride I ever had. She was a daily driver and except for an 850 hp TT Lingefelter Z06 she never lost a race to a car (superbikes dont count).

Now I have a tip 07 997 TT with over 32K miles on her. My bone stock 997 is simply put a docile sounding lamb next to my old X50. However, she only sounds docile. She is faster and handles better than the 996. At a Pocono DRE last July there were 3 other 996 TTs in my Green Run Group (some were even modded). My 997 was clearly the fastest runner (trust me it wasnt driver skill). The 997 is way more GT like in that it is simply a plusher ride as a daily driver (ie. cup holders for your Starbucks). Like my 996 she has excelled at vanquishing all comers. She has even stood toe to toe with an orange LP640 and a new blue ZR1.

The issue for you is simply dollars and cents. If you can swing the extra $$$ I think getting a 997 is a no-brainer. My old X50 was great but its hard to compete with all of the amenities of the newer model. I would only consider getting the 996 over the 997 if I was going to mod the crap out of the car and I was on a fixed budget (ie. 700hp 996 vs. 480hp 997). Either way you cant go wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT X50 or 997TT