997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996TT X50 or 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
Terminator if price diff is close/closer and, the same money was put into 997tt, the performance gap would be more than maintained so why bother with this? In years to come 997tt will always hold better value in relativity due to it being the later car and, the more desirable car to the mainstream.
Anyway weve already covered this ground. At the end of the day no matter what argument is put up it (again) it all comes down to money (As per bbywu....) never a truer word spoken.

Lets all not keep on with this . The OP has all the info he's ever likely to get from this thread without all of us going on and on and over and over the same old ground repeatedly .

Btw, have you noticed how the word "price" and "money" is so often used in arguing which is the better car.
If the same money would be put into 997TT the performance gap would not be maintained. You would have to put more money into 997TT to maintain the performance gap because boost is cheap and easy, beyond this it gets expensive without talking suspension upgrades. The 997TT will be cheap to mod eventually but at the moment 996TT wins hands down in upgrades effectiveness.

But I agree let’s not keep covering old ground.

Yes, I have noticed the price/money argument. This is especially true in the 911/GTR thread...

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Yes, I have noticed the price/money argument. This is especially true in the 911/GTR thread...
Agree with that one totally. Ooops......lets keep a lid on this They can be very sensitive.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Agree with that one totally. Ooops......lets keep a lid on this They can be very sensitive.
Agreed. .

Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Firstly Hoopa you must have me totally mixed up with the OP who wanted some advice on the 996tt and the 997tt . Myself...im not in the market to buy anything at the moment.
<O</O

You are right, my fault Speedo.<O</O
<O</O

Ive already got a 997tt and i cant see much sense changing that at the moment as ive only done 6500kms on the clock since new and I still havent finished all my mods yet <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\TEMP\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.6speedonline.com/get//forums/images/smilies/wink.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>.
Great, but what has this got to do w/ the point? <O</O

<O</O

Now please dont get too wound up on the salesman thing OK. When the time comes round for me to trade this baby on the next newy I will have done my own homework very thoroughly prior to going into the P dealer.... that you can count on 100%. The Porsche salesmen I know are very polished acts and are always extremely nice guys and are very personable etc etc but at the end of the day they are salesmen....and one needs to recognise and accept that fact.
<O</O

I am not wound up at all. A good salesman will have factual knowledge on the product that 90% of the buyers won’t know. I know, you fall into the 10%, that's cool.

<O</O
Now, for me, someone who knows a lot about what they are buying beforehand is always far better equiped to deal with any sales BS (if that is used) and yes... I can personally smell saleman BS a mile off. You ask how..why?....because i've employed enough of them in my lifetime and, I take the time and trouble to know allthere is to know before I walk in the front door....and, i dont need nor rely upon advice from salesmen for that info....nor do you or, the OP. Your choice tho..<v:shape id=_x0000_i1027 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\TEMP\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.6speedonline.com/get//forums/images/smilies/wink.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
<O</O

If you read my post that started this again you will see that I was actually telling him to be as informed as possible. To get every bit of information he could. That would include talking to people who deal w/ the cars everyday. No, I didn’t ask how or why you know, you *** U MEd I would want to though and proceeded to tell me while patting yourself on the back. I and every1 here understands that it is our choice; again you don’t have to point that out.

<O</O
My original point regarding to your post was that your suggestion to the OP to go and ask a salesman advice/opinion was flawed as it was dependant upon a salesman vehicle stockholding, his personality, sales methods and many other variables.

Sure, it is flawed but so is reading the post of people on the internet, reading bias magazine articles, and talking mechanics. All are different levels of flawed ( IMO ) but flawed none the less.

<O</O
The remainder of your post's suggestions were sound ...all good etc <v:shape id=_x0000_i1028 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\TEMP\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.gif" o:href="http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.6speedonline.com/get//forums/images/smilies/smile.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>. No worries..

Thanks, I’m glad to know some1 who thinks so highly of themselves gives me some props. I appreciate you taking the time to point out our differences in philosophies on this subject. I hope the OP got some useful information out of it since that is the point of this thread and not the fact we don’t see things the same. Have a great day Speedo. <O</O

Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
<O</O
You are right, my fault Speedo.<O</O
<O</O

Great, but what has this got to do w/ the point? <O</O
<O</O

<O</O
I am not wound up at all. A good salesman will have factual knowledge on the product that 90% of the buyers won’t know. I know, you fall into the 10%, that's cool.

<O</O<O</O
If you read my post that started this again you will see that I was actually telling him to be as informed as possible. To get every bit of information he could. That would include talking to people who deal w/ the cars everyday. No, I didn’t ask how or why you know, you *** U MEd I would want to though and proceeded to tell me while patting yourself on the back. I and every1 here understands that it is our choice; again you don’t have to point that out.

<O</O

Sure, it is flawed but so is reading the post of people on the internet, reading bias magazine articles, and talking mechanics. All are different levels of flawed ( IMO ) but flawed none the less.

<O</O

Thanks, I’m glad to know some1 who thinks so highly of themselves gives me some props. I appreciate you taking the time to point out our differences in philosophies on this subject. I hope the OP got some useful information out of it since that is the point of this thread and not the fact we don’t see things the same. Have a great day Speedo. <O</O
Wow Hoopa!! Glad you got all that off your chest. Hell, I didnt realise I touched such a sensitive nerve with the salesman thing. And, as you obviously had me mixed up big time as being the OP thought it prudent to offer you as much clarity as possible....so you didnt continue with any further rants on that. Anyways cheer up mate . All's good.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
If the same money would be put into 997TT the performance gap would not be maintained. You would have to put more money into 997TT to maintain the performance gap because boost is cheap and easy, beyond this it gets expensive without talking suspension upgrades. The 997TT will be cheap to mod eventually but at the moment 996TT wins hands down in upgrades effectiveness.

I disagree.

The 997TT actually makes more power with the same mods, at the same boost level as a 996TT, because the 997 heads and cams flow a lot more air. It also makes more power on low octane fuel for the same reasons.

You also dont have to upgrade the fuel system on a 997TT as early as you do on a 996, when modding it. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I do know that 997TT fuel system is good for a heck of a lot more HP than a 996TT system is.

Again, I'm a huge fan of the 996 varients (I own one), but the 997 is better platform for modifying...and IMO, a better car overall.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Did they replace the transmissions because of 2nd gear pop out?
That was one of the problems, but the synchros were bad. I had a particular problem downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and upshifting from 1st to 2nd. I really thought I just had a lemon.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not saying that tortesq1 was the problem but the transmission (other than the pop-out) is not a weak point on the Turbo's. However as with any manual, enough abuse and bad shifting over a few owners is bound to take it's toll.
You could be 100% correct in that I was the problem. The dealer never said it was abuse and the service manager as well as the regional manager drove the car and said the tranny was bad - not once, but twice. I was told that the X50 had a synchro problem and that I was not to worry blah blah. In any event my 997TT tip is a 10x better shifter in manual mode than my old X50 and I haven't missed a shift or blown a tranny yet (LOL). The funny thing is that I really am faster around any road or track with my tip but thats going off topic. My strong suggestion is to get a CPO car so as to obviate the necessity of freaking out if a $20K tranny or something else goes.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Tall T is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all of the good advice guys.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
129 replies...not bad.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
gregporsche is infamous around these parts
Ask the same question on the 996TT board and you will get totally different answers.

Of course 997TT guys will be saying how much better the 997TT is. They always do!

To PSTT03; if I may also be blunt I would respectfully disagree with your write up. There are other things which appeal to a 996TT owner over a 997TT owner. Price isn’t everything. Some bought 996TT’s new, and the cost was the same as the 997TT. But it is clear you are looking at your car and are only judging it by its looks. Try driving it more! I have extensive seat and race time in both. I must admit my 996TT X50 car is modified including suspension however it is running rings round a stock 997TT. (Talking about $30-40K difference in money??? Try half that for a far superior “drivers car” driving-wise). 997TT is simply too soft and to nose heavy for fast track use without big $ upgrades). To that fact, the 996TT is a better platform. There are visual aspects I prefer on a 997TT for sure but there are some I prefer on the 996TT. But one thing I really prefer is a 996TT interior. I hate the new 997TT interior no matter how much 997 owners are talking up. I simply prefer curves to straight lines. But this is only a preference point, but each to their own.

Every 911 turbo version from the 993TT onwards is softer than the previous version more of an executive car and less of a driver’s car. If you like straight line warp speeds on a cushy suspension based more and more on “windows computer” rather than the driver then the 998TT will fit the bill even better than the 997TT which will consequently be talked down in the same way 996 is being portrayed like an underdog now. Or won’t it?

They are 911’s to me and they are all great cars. I love them all the way back right to the first one made. But I really hate the attitude of some where the older versions need to be trashed down. And those should really ask themselves a question, why they own a Porsche car in the first place?
Terminator, IMHO, you are right about the interior. I own a 996 Turbo now and I previously had a 2007 C4S which basically had the same interior as the 997 Turbo. Yes the interior was more luxurious and spacious, but those straight lines bothered me ( surrounding pcm area) as opposed to the curves in the 996 Turbo. That said, everything else in the interior was perfect, especially with the sports chrono stop watch. The leather and stitching were better quality and so were the Porsche head crests in the leather seats. The 996 Turbo has a tighter, smaller, sportier cabin while the 997 Turbo has the larger more luxurious cabin.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
sievlde is infamous around these parts
997 tt if you got the money