997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996TT X50 or 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Tall T is infamous around these parts
996TT X50 or 997TT

Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Porsches but not to high powered sports cars. I've been lurking & learning for the last several months and am now ready to pull the trigger on a TT. I know there have been several threads here about the merits of the 996 TT vs the 997 TT & which is best or most cost effective or whatever. I've read them all. The answers usually come down to aesthetics, expected depreciation & personal preference (drive both & get the one you like).

I'm interested in hearing from the guys who have owned both. I imagine most will favor the 997 or you wouldn't have bought one. I'd really like to know why you favor the 997. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences in power, acceleration, handling, overall driving experience etc.

This weekend I'm driving an 03 996 X50 TT & an 07 997TT one right after the other. They are both bone stock. What should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help. I really appeciate it.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tall T
This weekend I'm driving an 03 996 X50 TT & an 07 997TT one right after the other. They are both bone stock. What should I be looking for?
What do you plan on doing with the car? Weekend driver? Daily driver? Plan on modding, keeping it stock? How important are aethetics to you?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I doubt I would ever buy another 996 unless perhaps as a dedicated track car or a cheap convertible to play around with...the 997 is just so much better in so many ways. If price is not an issue you must go with the 997.

If the 997TT is too pricey...frankly I would get a 997C2S over a 996TT any day (but that's me)

Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Tall T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
What do you plan on doing with the car? Weekend driver? Daily driver? Plan on modding, keeping it stock? How important are aethetics to you?
This will not be a DD. I'll drive it on weekends, trips & maybe to work one day a week or so. Both cars are newly CPOd. I'll likely keep whichever one I buy stock for a while before modding. Aesthetics are important but as that's a completely subjective deal, I thought I'd leave that out of this discussion.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
To the OP, I haven't driven a 997TT but the power is very similar to a 996 X50, and so are the performance numbers. Porsche always refines their cars from generation to generation, but the changes today aren't the leaps that used to be made such as from the 993 to the 996. The cars are getting incrementally better from generation to generation. That being said, reaching the limits of a 996 X50 on public roads, or even on a track, is going to be hard even for good drivers. The car has more capabilities than 99.99% of people could ever utilize. The biggest difference in daily driveability is going to be in the interior, which is nicer in the 997 for sure.

Originally Posted by my997turbo
Well...I did not own a x50 996, but I do own a 997 TT. And while I was looking for a porsche I did test drive a 996TT. As for acceleration, the 997 is much quicker.
Was it an X50? The 0-60 for a manual 996 X50 is the same as a manual 997TT. I've driven both 996 Turbo versions and there's no comparison. The X50 is much more powerful than the regular Turbo.

Originally Posted by raclaims
I doubt I would ever buy another 996 unless perhaps as a dedicated track car or a cheap convertible to play around with...the 997 is just so much better in so many ways. If price is not an issue you must go with the 997.

If the 997TT is too pricey...frankly I would get a 997C2S over a 996TT any day (but that's me)
I sure wouldn't get a 997 C2S over a 996 TT X50. There's no comparison in the power.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
gabo is infamous around these parts
I sure wouldn't get a 997 C2S over a 996 TT X50. There's no comparison in the power.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
me too...

Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
In my opinion… people typically ask these kinds of questions because they want everything the 997TT has to offer for a 996TT price. Sorry to be up front but there is a significant gap between these two cars in so many ways. You should know this by now through reading posts, write ups, etc… I’m not short changing how great a 996TT is but there are many significant differences. There is a reason these cars are separated by 30-40k or more. What are you looking for in your description of “best” car? If you can truly afford a 997TT (IMHO) there is no reason to continue this discussion. A 997TT is not a “cost effective” car. Some may say neither is the 996TT buts it’s all relative to your situation.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I realize you’re looking for differences in power, acceleration, handling, etc… Again, the articles and published material detail this. Both are extremely fast and handle well. You should drive both and park them next to each other. See how you feel about it… which you can see yourself owning and starring at everyday… if you don’t see/feel/experience 30-40k worth of difference then you’ll answer your own questions… Back then to reality…if you can afford a 997TT why even bother with the older model? Typically people who can afford a 997TT don’t by a 996TT instead because it was simply more cost effective. Sorry for being so honest…IMHO and no disrespect…people typically purchase a 996TT because it’s in his/her budget and then spend thousands attempting to make it look more like a 997TT…

Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PSTT03
In my opinion… people typically ask these kinds of questions because they want everything the 997TT has to offer for a 996TT price. Sorry to be up front but there is a significant gap between these two cars in so many ways. You should know this by now through reading posts, write ups, etc… I’m not short changing how great a 996TT is but there are many significant differences. There is a reason these cars are separated by 30-40k or more. What are you looking for in your description of “best” car? If you can truly afford a 997TT (IMHO) there is no reason to continue this discussion. A 997TT is not a “cost effective” car. Some may say neither is the 996TT buts it’s all relative to your situation.
fficeffice" /><o>></o>>
I realize you’re looking for differences in power, acceleration, handling, etc… Again, the articles and published material detail this. Both are extremely fast and handle well. You should drive both and park them next to each other. See how you feel about it… which you can see yourself owning and starring at everyday… if you don’t see/feel/experience 30-40k worth of difference then you’ll answer your own questions… Back then to reality…if you can afford a 997TT why even bother with the older model? Typically people who can afford a 997TT don’t by a 996TT instead because it was simply more cost effective. Sorry for being so honest…IMHO and no disrespect…people typically purchase a 996TT because it’s in his/her budget and then spend thousands attempting to make it look more like a 997TT…
So...to summarize.

The only reason to buy a 996TT X50 over a 997TT is because the 997TT may be out of your price range.

Hmm...

Short, concise...I like it.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
To the OP, I haven't driven a 997TT but the power is very similar to a 996 X50, and so are the performance numbers.
I consistently trapped 3 mph faster in my 997TT. It was also about a second faster to 124 (200 kph) and a 0.75 seconds faster 60-130.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Porsches but not to high powered sports cars. I've been lurking & learning for the last several months and am now ready to pull the trigger on a TT. I know there have been several threads here about the merits of the 996 TT vs the 997 TT & which is best or most cost effective or whatever. I've read them all. The answers usually come down to aesthetics, expected depreciation & personal preference (drive both & get the one you like).

I'm interested in hearing from the guys who have owned both. I imagine most will favor the 997 or you wouldn't have bought one. I'd really like to know why you favor the 997. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences in power, acceleration, handling, overall driving experience etc.

If you can afford a 997, get it. It's better than the 996 in every way.

I had the same dilemma when I was looking into getting another P-car. I finally ended up settling on a '08 TT with 9k miles...and then I stumbled upon my GT2 (which was actually the more expensive car), and forgot all about the 997.

Anyway, if the decison is between TTs, go with the 997 if you can afford it.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
If you can afford a 997, get it. It's better than the 996 in every way.

I had the same dilemma when I was looking into getting another P-car. I finally ended up settling on a '08 TT with 9k miles...and then I stumbled upon my GT2 (which was actually the more expensive car), and forgot all about the 997.

Anyway, if the decison is between TTs, go with the 997 if you can afford it.
I was very very close to selling my 997TT for a 05 (yes 05) 996 GT2. Although every performance category is dominated by the 997 GT2, the 996 GT2 is a very special car...designed for drivers who are real men, and didn't need traction control, PSM, PASM, PTV...

Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I was very very close to selling my 997TT for a 05 (yes 05) 996 GT2. Although every performance category is dominated by the 997 GT2, the 996 GT2 is a very special car...designed for drivers who are real men, and didn't need traction control, PSM, PASM, PTV...
Ya, it's really the last of the 'raw' 911's. It's a wonderful car, especially modded..but also a handful.

That said, my next car will either be a 997 GT2, or a PDK Turbo. But knowing me, it will probably end up being the GT2. I just wish I could afford both of them!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with all the post's, and I own 2 996tt's one GT2 and a regular one I just bought specifically to track, DE's, track day type stuff. The main reason I bought the 996tt instead of the 997tt was because of the giant price difference which was almost half the price for the 996tt vs the 997tt. For me the 996 made much more sense as both cars would need some mods to be track ready and when said and done the 997 would of been approaching 100k and the 996 will be at half price and thats the max I want to be at for a car I plan to use at the track. If I was only going to have 1 car though it would be the new 997tt with pdk trans as I am tired of shifting and I love the looks of the 997tt.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

Im sure after youve driven the two you will know which one is the better. They are both great cars but the 996 is now dated against the 997 so my money is on the 997tt all day every day. But if money is the deciding factor then best not to drive the 997tt. Just buy 996tts and you'll be happy .

Old 02-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Ask the same question on the 996TT board and you will get totally different answers.

Of course 997TT guys will be saying how much better the 997TT is. They always do!

To PSTT03; if I may also be blunt I would respectfully disagree with your write up. There are other things which appeal to a 996TT owner over a 997TT owner. Price isn’t everything. Some bought 996TT’s new, and the cost was the same as the 997TT. But it is clear you are looking at your car and are only judging it by its looks. Try driving it more! I have extensive seat and race time in both. I must admit my 996TT X50 car is modified including suspension however it is running rings round a stock 997TT. (Talking about $30-40K difference in money??? Try half that for a far superior “drivers car” driving-wise). 997TT is simply too soft and to nose heavy for fast track use without big $ upgrades). To that fact, the 996TT is a better platform. There are visual aspects I prefer on a 997TT for sure but there are some I prefer on the 996TT. But one thing I really prefer is a 996TT interior. I hate the new 997TT interior no matter how much 997 owners are talking up. I simply prefer curves to straight lines. But this is only a preference point, but each to their own.

Every 911 turbo version from the 993TT onwards is softer than the previous version more of an executive car and less of a driver’s car. If you like straight line warp speeds on a cushy suspension based more and more on “windows computer” rather than the driver then the 998TT will fit the bill even better than the 997TT which will consequently be talked down in the same way 996 is being portrayed like an underdog now. Or won’t it?

They are 911’s to me and they are all great cars. I love them all the way back right to the first one made. But I really hate the attitude of some where the older versions need to be trashed down. And those should really ask themselves a question, why they own a Porsche car in the first place?

Last edited by Terminator; 02-27-2010 at 04:18 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT X50 or 997TT