997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche 997 TT interior sound levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
For what it's worth, my best friend just got an 07 turbo tip and we both agree that it is louder than my car as far as road noise. Like others have said: it's most likely the tires.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
cdragos is infamous around these parts
When the revs pass 4000 rpm the stereo becomes useless unless you up the volume to a level that will make it impossible to have any conversation inside the car, and even hear your thoughts for that matter. I know there is little space inside the engine bay, but I think at least they could have insulated the wheel arches better. I was looking for soundproofing solutions, and I have found this:
http://www.automotion.com/dept.asp?dept_id=4932&level=1

Last edited by cdragos; 03-02-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Guys it IS a super car after all...c'mon...has to have some brutality.

Compare this to the GT series and you'll see it is quite subdued by comparison.

some one wrote test drive a Gallardo..and I encourage this.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 AM
BostonRocket is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cdragos
When the revs pass 4000 rpm the stereo becomes useless unless you up the volume to a level that will make it impossible to have any conversation inside the car, and even hear your thoughts for that matter. I know there is little space inside the engine bay, but I think at least they could have insulated the wheel arches better. I was looking for soundproofing solutions, and I have found this:
http://www.automotion.com/dept.asp?dept_id=4932&level=1
Insulating the wheel arches may not be possible considering the headers, turbo, and exhaust would be inches away from it. I think the heat would melt or destroy that.

'Rocket

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
I have not driven in a 996TT but the stock 997tt sounds like a friggin Prius. It is by far the quietest P-car I have ever driven in. Even the V8 Panameras produce more engine sound.

Oh and click on the link in my sig and listen to my Cayman

Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute
For definitive answer we could always ask Dr Bernhard Pfäfflin, head of Porsche’s NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) department, bernhard.pfaefflin@porsche.de

Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
The interior noise issue is always reported on by the press who road test and report on the 997TT. The tire roar seems to be worse depending upon the road surface. I dont find it a problem personally but i do know exactly what you mean. The car really should be better insulated against tire roar. I reckon on a long road trip it would definately interfere with your enjoyment when cruising. There is a member here (Carnarcissist) that recently posted on insulating his interior and said he improved his car's interior road noise penetration.

Read this: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gas-pedal.html

Last edited by speed21; 05-23-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
CarreraTurbo is infamous around these parts
I think the level of noise in 996TT and 997TT is same - it is loud in part because of the resonation of the body. After driving "dead" silent Panamera it is particularly noticeable but very welcome "alive" feeling in the car. I think this car should be available without any stereo as a base package as audio quality is atrocious regardless of the system once you start moving and the parasitic weight of the audio equipment is substantial.
I would not recommend any sound proofing as most of the noise is coming from tires through the glass surface.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
First, It's a Porsche and it's got to sound like a true sports car.

IT'S THE TIRES!!!

We started with a 996 then to a 997.1 and now have a 2010 997.2 S4 and a 2010 turbo.

The 997.1 is quieter than the 996 and the 997.2 still quieter than the 997.1. The overall interior quality/sound level in the .2 is best yet.

The S4 has Pirelli's and the turbo Bridgestones. The Bridgestone's are quieter than the Pirelli's. The Pirelli's when cold are very noisy and sound level imporves when warmed up.

Does this help?

Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM
CarreraTurbo is infamous around these parts
I'm glad to hear that Bridgestone tires are quieter than Pirellis - I ended up with Bridgestones, which I never had before, and I like them so far.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
msf
msf is infamous around these parts
My Pirelli tires became very loud as they wore and the vibration increased dramatically as well. It sounded like something was loose and rattling in the glove box. New tires cleared this issue right up. New shoes can make a big change in the noise and vibration levels.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
KPZL is infamous around these parts
funny, I am about to spend $10K to make mine LOUDER!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Miguel-H is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cdragos
Anyone besides me thinking that the interior sound levels produced by the engine and road noise is really high?
I actually think the engine noise is a bit sterile if I'm honest. However, I agree the road noise is a little louder than some cars I've owned -you can hear a fly fart in a GTR cabin on a cruise for example- but then it is a small car with steamroller wheels, so it's to be expected.