997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Have you painted the front lip ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Chris (& dinorocz),

Just my 2 cents here: I did think about clear bra'ing the Techart Lip but did not for 3 reasons:

1. The re-paint cost would be about the same as the clear bra.
2. The lip tends to take a lot of hits, not just from scraping below, but from frontal pebble hits. I think the obvious reason is it's the lowest component. There is very little you could do to prevent these random frontal hits.
3. Unlike the rest of the car, clear bra for the lip would be a custom job as there is no preset pattern from the clear bra company. This means potentially more $ and not as good a fit.

Like raclaims, I use the skid plate and am happy with it. The lip does transform the look of the car as stock lip is so thin and weak looking. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by E55AMG
This just makes me feel great as i'm waiting for techart type 1 front spoiler to arrive LOL.

I did buy the skid plates from Rennsport so maybe it will help. I also thought about the lift kit, but as someone else said, that's a lot of $200 re-sprays for the kit!

Maybe I should start keeping a diary of "dangerous" entry ways to avoid.

Larry, i had no idea you never painted your spoiler. It comes delivered in black? Also, have you considered a clear film for it? i'm sure that would help some.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raclaims
I've said it before...I used to kill my stock lip...then I lowered the car, got the techart front lip and the RSS plate and have had zero issues at all. It's excellent. The plate has taken some hits but you can't see it.

It's a great solution.
got any close-up pics of the RSS skid plates? How much?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I have these on my car. Best 40.00 I have ever spent.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/90793-front-splitter-project.html

Last edited by imcarnuts; 03-03-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I painted my front lip (stock) and put Venture Shield over it. Over the course of nearly two years I've learned how to avoid scrapes. Rock chips can't be avoided, so I just had my lip repainted (actually the whole bumper, both front fenders, a door and a rear fender) to remove the chips. I think one of the reasons I've been lucky with scrapes is I have a spare lip plus my original unpainted, scraped to hell stock one which I've saved in case I want to go off roading.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I finally went and painted my front lip. It's so low to the ground and easy to scrape as most here have experienced as well.
I put two pictures of the scrape to show that it was not too visible unless I looked at it at a certain angle so i left it that way for a long time.

So here's the problem - I got the car back on Thursday and every time i look at the clean and painted new lip .. i don't want to drive it .
I consider every possible risk of re scraping it and it leads to avoidance .

Anyone relate to this?
Happened to me recently. Bought a new techart lower lip, had it all painted up and fitted (was getting sick of looking at the scraped oem jobby) only to find that when picking the car up i required some guidance getting it out the driveway without losing any bark. So, the next few days resulted in some very gingerly driving around anything that remotely looked like causing a scrape. God it must have been painfull for soome of those folk following me over some speed humps. Anyways, realising I had the car booked in to the service shop to get the clutch slave changed out a few days later, I went over with the service manager in detail empasising the need for caution. So, picked up the baby the folowing day to my complete dismay only to find some nasty scrapes....like thanks a lot guys.. So now, whilst im still carefull over driveways etc its been sort of like now "broken in" as such so..the paranoia has now waned a bit one could say. So, my strong advice to you is to take the baby back out of the cotton wool and just drive it. Sure, avoid things where you can... but try and enjoy and dont worry so much about the inevitable. Hope this helps .

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Chris (& dinorocz),

Just my 2 cents here: I did think about clear bra'ing the Techart Lip but did not for 3 reasons:

1. The re-paint cost would be about the same as the clear bra.
2. The lip tends to take a lot of hits, not just from scraping below, but from frontal pebble hits. I think the obvious reason is it's the lowest component. There is very little you could do to prevent these random frontal hits.
3. Unlike the rest of the car, clear bra for the lip would be a custom job as there is no preset pattern from the clear bra company. This means potentially more $ and not as good a fit.

Like raclaims, I use the skid plate and am happy with it. The lip does transform the look of the car as stock lip is so thin and weak looking. Enjoy!
Hey cannga do you mind sharing with me where you got the skid plate from? How much etc. Im assuminmg its made for the tech lip right? Also, does it further reduce the clearance underneath by much?
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Happened to me recently. Bought a new techart lower lip, had it all painted up and fitted (was getting sick of looking at the scraped oem jobby) only to find that when picking the car up i required some guidance getting it out the driveway without losing any bark. So, the next few days resulted in some very gingerly driving around anything that remotely looked like causing a scrape. God it must have been painfull for soome of those folk following me over some speed humps. Anyways, realising I had the car booked in to the service shop to get the clutch slave changed out a few days later, I went over with the service manager in detail empasising the need for caution. So, picked up the baby the folowing day to my complete dismay only to find some nasty scrapes....like thanks a lot guys.. So now, whilst im still carefull over driveways etc its been sort of like now "broken in" as such so..the paranoia has now waned a bit one could say. So, my strong advice to you is to take the baby back out of the cotton wool and just drive it. Sure, avoid things where you can... but try and enjoy and dont worry so much about the inevitable. Hope this helps .
Thanks --I am taking my car out for a spin tomorrow . It took me 6 days with a clean lip but you are right .. time to drive it again.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
You are wasting your money if you think clear bra will save the scrape issue from damaging the lower section of that front lip.

Since I have access to a great paint facility, I simply got a replacement lip (we painted out the lower trim at delivery), and we painted the second lip at the same time. It sits in the warehouse cured and ready whenever the time comes. And for Arctic and some other colors, tinting the tone of the formula is critical to lowers - you should never paint them the exact same formula as the vehicle code. Many reasons for this, but it's all in the eye. So once we tweaked the Arctic for my car (9 different formulas), we saved it and use it for the extra lower goodies.

There is NO way to avoid this short of the lift kit (expensive), and if you are lowering your Porsche, you can expect to just do this regularly. Otherwise install one of the better lift kits and be done with it.

I went over and over with this upon delivery, and asked everyone I knew. The only thing we found was that the skid plates were a bit bulky for the need, and they add to the likelihood you will 'hit' even though you will be 'hitting' the skid plate.

So add bulk to the lip, and expect you will hit more often.

Clear bra? Forget it. It may help with the dings from road debris, but it won't do a thing for scraping.

Good luck. Get another lip ready, and just replace as needed.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Eric, agreed about not clear bra the lip. As far as getting a second lip ready, I think OP & most people here are talking about the TechArt lip, which cost 2400 or so . We can't have a spare $2400 lip waiting!
Neil, I have picture of the RSS skid plate that I will post later on.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Eric, agreed about not clear bra the lip. As far as getting a second lip ready, I think OP & most people here are talking about the TechArt lip, which cost 2400 or so . We can't have a spare $2400 lip waiting!
yeah, didn't buy a couple of extra TA spoilers I guess i'll just treat this like any other maintenance item - remove it once or twice a year and repaint it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM
tranman329 is infamous around these parts
I would like to see the skid plate and where did you get it.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Get another lip ready, and just replace as needed.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
The great part with the Techart lip is it can be prepped quite easily. I paid 140 bucks ro repaint it and its beautiful. I am taking the car out today .

Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok for those who ask about the skid plate for the TechArt lip: Mine is a one-off custom made item by forum sponsor RSS/Stuttgart Performance http://rss.rpmware.com/, but since then I believe it's made in larger quantity and is available from RSS, or Rennsport One (????). For the life of me, I can't find it on their web sites but Chris/E55AMG just got one so maybe he could chime in. (FWIW, Mike/GotBoost? was the first one who came up with this fantastic idea, with RSS help.)
The skid plate costs about $300, is made of ABS plastic, about 3-4 mm thick, looks like a thin boomerang, and fits perfectly underneath the Techart lip. It's intalled in my car by RSS/Stuttgart Performance using "reverse rivet," with the rivet flush with the surface.

Below are two pictures with the thing on my car. You hardly would notice it unless you look. It works very well for bottom scrapes, judging from the markings on it, and prevents possible deep gouge to the $2400 lip. It did not make my car scrape more, not easily noticeably so anyway.

Last edited by cannga; 03-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
call or email Bryan at RSS. I just ordered a set.

blichtman@stuttgartperformance.com

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Since our CF lip is very similar to TA front lip. We offer skid plate which is same design wtih Can's TT. Price at $80 a pair. We received couple request with skid plate for OEM lips, we're going to looking into this and will have OEM version skid plate shortly. PM me if interest!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you painted the front lip ?