997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Have you painted the front lip ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Have you painted the front lip ?

I finally went and painted my front lip. It's so low to the ground and easy to scrape as most here have experienced as well.
I put two pictures of the scrape to show that it was not too visible unless I looked at it at a certain angle so i left it that way for a long time.

So here's the problem - I got the car back on Thursday and every time i look at the clean and painted new lip .. i don't want to drive it .
I consider every possible risk of re scraping it and it leads to avoidance .

Anyone relate to this?

Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
yikes! That's bad. Good thing it's black so it's easy to touch up. My stock lip is also scraped but even more on the driver's side front corner. I always go out of driveways turning right to help avoid scraping. Some driveways are too steep that you cannot avoid it.

From now on, you may have to go in and out of driveways in reverse.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Larry, you might want to consider the skid plate by RSS. Not the perfect solution but it eases the pain.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I finally went and painted my front lip. It's so low to the ground and easy to scrape as most here have experienced as well.
I put two pictures of the scrape to show that it was not too visible unless I looked at it at a certain angle so i left it that way for a long time.

So here's the problem - I got the car back on Thursday and every time i look at the clean and painted new lip .. i don't want to drive it .

Anyone relate to this?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Man, can I relate. I just had the aero kit on for 2-3 days and hit bottom.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
On the two pictures (which happen to be about a year old .. it was actually worse now) you can see taht one has the worst angle while the other shows hardly any wear .

I have consideed everything from the lift to the skid plate and i do angle my parking but with the Techart lip and the lowered suspension I am very close to the ground . see pic at end .

Factoring in the cost and the time I arrived at the conclusion that the absolute cheapest was to repaint it frequently (under 200 bucks).

Here's a shot of the ride height .. it's parked next to forum member Sin911 at one of the porsche gatherings and his car has a Gt3 front --both cars are lowered on Bilsteins . about the same height.

Attached Images   

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NeilM
I can buy a lot of black paint for that kind of money.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I can buy a lot of black paint for that kind of money.
The problem I am having is that now that it's blemish free .. I realize that keeping the lip scrape free is even harder than before I ever scraped it . The ignorance was bliss but now i know that all it takes is the slightest incline .

As for the lift --it's probably even worse to scrape a lip if one has the lift . scraping in itself is somewhat of a miscalculation so a person may not use the lift and face a sudden lane change or unexpected need to speed up and scrape .

Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
This just makes me feel great as i'm waiting for techart type 1 front spoiler to arrive LOL.

I did buy the skid plates from Rennsport so maybe it will help. I also thought about the lift kit, but as someone else said, that's a lot of $200 re-sprays for the kit!

Maybe I should start keeping a diary of "dangerous" entry ways to avoid.

Larry, i had no idea you never painted your spoiler. It comes delivered in black? Also, have you considered a clear film for it? i'm sure that would help some.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Also, have you considered a clear film for it? i'm sure that would help some.

Yep, Im painting my lower trim all around and will apply a clear film to the front lip just to see if it helps a bit

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM
bijan is infamous around these partsbijan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Anyone relate to this?
Ouch! Well that takes care of one of the mods i was gonna do when i get mine delievered this week! No lowering at least until i do drive bys in every zip code around me and mark all trouble spots....That or carry a bucket of paint in my car.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Larry, i had no idea you never painted your spoiler. It comes delivered in black? Also, have you considered a clear film for it? i'm sure that would help some.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
All of my modifications are ordered by and delivered to the shop itself . All I do is drop off and pick up my car. The parts went to them unpainted . After painting and install I drove my car 2.5 years .

This was the first time I repainted it to make it like new . I consider lip maintenance much like auto detail .

I think seeing it so clean is analagous to washing a car and then having to drive it in the rain. I tend to hesitate at that too .

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by bijan
Ouch! Well that takes care of one of the mods i was gonna do when i get mine delievered this week! No lowering at least until i do drive bys in every zip code around me and mark all trouble spots....That or carry a bucket of paint in my car.
I love my aerokit and suspension and if I had to do it all over again --I would !!!! That's how beautiful it is.

Even the plastic stock spoiler can scrape and the stock suspension is the worst suspension I have ever driven in any of the Porsche models.

If you really are totally set on a maintenance free lip . the better choice is a 997S . The Turbo (even stock) is designed with a low lip .

I also havea 9997S BTW and it's also lowered and the lip does not scrape.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Just drive it and enjoy it. It will get scraped again and sooner than you'd like, but that's reality. I've done a number on mine and have learned that it's just simply unavoidable...and now I realize it's not worth fixing as much as I'd like it pristine.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I've said it before...I used to kill my stock lip...then I lowered the car, got the techart front lip and the RSS plate and have had zero issues at all. It's excellent. The plate has taken some hits but you can't see it.

It's a great solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you painted the front lip ?