997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
moliandsam is infamous around these parts
Leather ...

I have an order in for a turbo s cab, and need guidance on interior upgrades. I think the leather center console upgrade is worthwhile despite high cost. What other leather upgrades give the most bang for the buck - for example, visors, door sill, seat backs, etc? I don't want to skimp, but also not throw money to the wind. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
solarlottry is infamous around these parts
the rear console and pdk shift gate are a must. It makes the car look so much better. Also the inner sills look really nice and are worth the price. I have the defroster trim done in my 09TT and it really makes the dash look complete. I also have the visors and i like it. I would get the interior package which includes the AC vents, door handles and instrument surround. The difference with leather on the part where you open the door is astounding. I spec'd a TTS at the dealer last week and my leather upgrades ran 12,000 so i kinda like the leather but you can spend a lot less and still make the car look so much better than stock. I guess if i had a limited budget the first thing i would get would be the rear console, pdk shift gate and door handles.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
+1 on defroster trim
leather or carbon or even painted center is a must IMO.

seatbacks overkill.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
I did the seat backs and the console in my cab and don't really missed the rest. I got the Turbo emboss on the console lid, and wished I'd gotten the crest on the head rest. I like the seat back covered especially in the cab but sometime paint is the perfect touch. Isn't building you own car a trip? Oh, and don't forget to consider deviated stitching.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
seatbacks on a cab may be something to think about. Wouldn't even consider it for a coupe.

agree with everyone else regarding center console, shift gate trim, door finishers (great option). logo or model on center storage bin.

the other thing that may be more important in a cab are the leather sun visors. then, of course you need the leather dome lamp cover LOL.

It is great spec'ng these cars.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Full Leather. Add Carbon or Alluminum or wahtever to that. Get the Crest on the seats.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Here are some pictures of leather from my car for some ideas.

PCM Leather

Door sills in leather

Steering column in leather

Visors & dome cover in leather

Console lid with Turbo Script

Seat backs painted

TechArt Steering Wheel just to tease you - my favorite mod

Last edited by imcarnuts; 03-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Duffy, yours cocoa int. looks perfect!!

Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
trice9 is infamous around these partstrice9 is infamous around these parts
i spent a lot of time trying to figure out the leather options. i did the rear center console, pdk gear selector, and door finishers - areas where i think the plastic makes the car look cheap. because i did deviated stitching (the look of which i love, and sometimes wonder why there aren't more cars spec'd with deviated stitching than there are), i also got the porsche crest on the center storage bin and the handbrake in aluminum (CFP) which are necessary to get the deviated stitching on those. with all of those, the deviated stitching flows well down the pcm, onto the pdk gear selector, to the handbrake, center console and then storage bin. i passed on the door sills, as my friend who has them in leather said they get scuffed easily by feet coming in and out. i passed on the visors because i actually don't like they way they look with deviated stitching and i don't think they are that noticeable. all of the other leather options (air vents, speakers, gauge cluster, etc) look fine they way they are without leather imo. the seat backs are nice in leather, especially for a cab, but weren't worth the money and would just easily get scuffed by my kids in the back seats. good luck with your decision.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:55 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
As you can see, you are going to get lots of opinions; we each have our own ideas on which little part must covered in leather. You can spend a fortune covering everything in leather. I think the basics are:
CUV-Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo
XMZ-Rear Center Console in Leather
I do not like the stuff painted Volcano Gray, so if you get Adaptive Sport Seats, consider XSB-Sport Seat Backs in Leather. Painted seat backs also look great, especially on a convertible. You could go with painted seat backs and painted rear center console for a different look.

You can click the (more photos) link in my sig below to see some things I chose to do. I wanted XTV-Door Finishers in Leather but they were not available during my order window.

This is your chance to make it your own though so ultimately you need to pick the things you think look the best.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 AM
moliandsam is infamous around these parts
Trice9, please resend your most recent private email, as I accidentally deleted it this morning.

All, thank you so much for all your guidance on leather (I'm into leather, as you now know :}). I'll report back with what I do. This morning I'm going to take a look at a stock machine with reference to photos graciously provided by Imcarnuts, decide and place an order.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
boohaw1 is infamous around these parts
Cross Stiching

Anyone know what the added cost of the cross stiching is?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Duffy's leather choices are beyond perfect.....just damn nice. I mean damn nice.

From a practical standpoint, if you are driving the car enough, you will kill the leather interior sills, so be careful with that one. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

Duffy's is just perfection - factory should deliver the cars this way.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boohaw1
Anyone know what the added cost of the cross stiching is?
If you are referring to the deviated stitching, it was about $2800-5000 extra in 2009 for the basics.
  • 24891 - $1020
  • 24901 - $240
  • 24902 - $240
  • 24903 - $470
  • 24904 - $240
  • 24905 - $310
  • 09991 - $290
  • DAW - $2130

You need to order an exclusive shifter/handbrake and an exclusive steering wheel to get the stitching on those items; if you planned to order these, then it is on the low end of the stated range but if are only adding them for stitching, then it would be on the high end. Duffy's car has a bunch of other leather options: rear center console, storage compartment with logo, steering column, dome light, visors, etc. so, with the carbon fiber, that is one expensive (but worth it) car.

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 AM
trice9 is infamous around these partstrice9 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sparkhill
If you are referring to the deviated stitching, it was about $2800-5000 extra in 2009 for the basics.
  • 24891 - $1020
  • 24901 - $240
  • 24902 - $240
  • 24903 - $470
  • 24904 - $240
  • 24905 - $310
  • 09991 - $290
  • DAW - $2130

You need to order an exclusive shifter/handbrake and an exclusive steering wheel to get the stitching on those items; if you planned to order these, then it is on the low end of the stated range but if are only adding them for stitching, then it would be on the high end. Duffy's car has a bunch of other leather options: rear center console, storage compartment with logo, steering column, dome light, visors, etc. so, with the carbon fiber, that is one expensive (but worth it) car.
Those prices are a little outdated. On my recent 2010 order, here's what the prices were:

24891 Stitching F/R seats Dev. Color 1,100.00
24901 Dashboard Stitching Dev. Color 310.00
24902 Door Stitching in Dev. Color 310.00
24903 Door Handle Stitching Dev.Clr. 550.00
24904 Dev.Stitching Side Centr Cnsl 310.00
24905 Rear Side Panel Dev.Stitching 390.00
09991 All Excl.Opt Stitch Dev Color 290.00

I'm not sure what DAW is. As Sparkhill says, there are other leather options that I think you need to get to make the deviated stitching look complete. For example, the rear center console in leather (XMZ, $1,320), the porsche crest or the logo on the storage compartment (XPT for the porsche crest, $330), the PDK gear selector in leather (XWU, $390), handbrake lever in aluminum (CFP, $775). To me, those are musts. Some other optional choices are door finishers in leather (I did that, XTV, $360), leather door sills, leather sun visors, and leather steering column (didn't do those). Also, regarding the steering wheel, the pdk wheel with paddles couldn't be ordered in an exclusive option, so i don't think the stitching on my steering wheel will be deviated unfortunately. I obviously think the absurd extra costs are worth it, because the deviated stitching looks fantastic. Take a look at Sparkhill's pictures and you'll see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather ...