997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ready to buy used but now how?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 AM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
I just bought mine out of state sight unseen from a porsche dealer and it was quite a stressful experience with all the possible things that may happen. Even dealers miss basic things like getting a copy of the bill of lading. It's a lot of reminding to get everything to my satisfaction, e.g. keys, manual, paperwork, etc. Personally i'd never buy sight unseen from a private seller. Way too risky. If I were to do it it will definitely fly out, see the car, complete the transaction right there at a bank or at the lien holder's office. Regardless of where you decided to buy, you can also get title insurance from places like autocheck.

I remember this is your first porsche right? I'd say spare the trouble and potential problems and find one closer to where you live and get it from a reputable dealer if you prefer a better first ownership experience.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
The OP is asking what happens between paying for the car and the car being picked up for shipping. This could be as long as a few weeks. My recommendation would be to find someone on here with a good rep and ask nicely to store the car at their home/business. Either that or work it out with a local dealer to pay them a small fee for storage and loading. I would not leave it with the seller since they are probably a complete unknown.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
I reread the op, i missed the part about flying out to texas, my apologies. If it's about storing and loading, why not arrange to have the transporter pick it up when you are there? Assuming you fly out only after ppi, title, etc check out. The more parties involved, the more chance for things to go wrong and the harder it is to go after them.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
I bought a Mercedes CL55 AMG from a Mercedes dealer a few years back. I flew from Southern California to Oregon to see the car and the dealer had previously agreed to sell me the car at my offer. I had arranged to have a car shipper meet me at the dealer in the afternoon. Arrived in Oregon at around 11:30AM, the dealer picked me up at the airport and we went to the dealership. Test drove the car and did the paperwork. The car transporter pulled up at 4:00pm as previously scheduled and I took pics of it getting loaded. Notified my insurance agent on the phone, added the car to my policy and it was a done deal. Flew home next day and car arrived 4 days later. Personally, I needed to see the car first and then see it get picked up by the shipper in my presence. Did not want it sitting around and too many unknowns as to who was going to drive it, etc. Strongly recommend that you be there when you buy and ship the car. Well worth the hassle and expense IMO.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
aaronb is infamous around these parts
I just agreed on the purchase price of a 2007 Porsche Turbo - seller is in San Francisco, I am in Toronto, Canada. We spoke to the dealer that did the PPI, and they are not willing to get involved in the private sale of a used car. Too much liability, they say.

Anyone know of reliable services that can help in this regard? I have a trustworthy shipping company to trailer and deal with all the customs hassles of importing a car into Canada, but the only thing I'm unclear about is how to safely handle the transfer of title and the $$$.

Any advice?