997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

best "air-cool" sound exhaust for 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
FVD is the way to go, I'm in the process of changing from my TUBI street to the FVD export system with Titanium tips!!

I found the TUBI to be alot more higher pitch than the FVD vids and the fitment and construction of the TUBI was bad!! IMO

Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ferri
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2007 997 Turbo and I find the exhaust note a bit quiet. Can someone tell me what would be the best after market exhaust system to create the "air-cool"sound? I am thinking about Ruf/Tubi/Cargraphic

I replaced the exhaust of my previous 996 C2 with Fabspeed and found the resonance quite annoying around 60mph and up...

Thank you so much for the help

Lawrence
With respect to all others on this very well worn subject, as the OP has already experienced drone and doesnt want any (or should i say want the least possible for this engine) then there is definately only one option out there and thats Europipe's EP1. Yes you will pay more for the EP1 over the others but there is a reason why. It just depends whether you want to find out the easy way or the hard way. The 997tt engine already has a bit of boom in the stock system between 1700 and 3000 under load so dont delude yourself that will get any quieter. EP1 will not only give you the least possible drone (like stock), but an awsome sound (way loud enough) and your butt dyno will definately feel it has clearly woken up the engine. Highly recommended! Dont blow it!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Exhaust is a hugely personal decision. After lots of research, I went with the Tubi Street. Night and day when compared to stock. I have no resonance issues at all. Wanted a nice exotic sound, but not overly loud as I have a cab, and sensitive neighbours. I can't tell you how thrilled I am with it. Never even turn on my radio anymore for fear of missing some of the exhaust sound. Even when it's really cold up here (Toronto), I always drive with my rear side windows open so I can hear more of the beautiful sound. Whichever way you go, it will be better than stock.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rambo1
Exhaust is a hugely personal decision. After lots of research, I went with the Tubi Street. Night and day when compared to stock. I have no resonance issues at all. Wanted a nice exotic sound, but not overly loud as I have a cab, and sensitive neighbours. I can't tell you how thrilled I am with it. Never even turn on my radio anymore for fear of missing some of the exhaust sound. Even when it's really cold up here (Toronto), I always drive with my rear side windows open so I can hear more of the beautiful sound. Whichever way you go, it will be better than stock.

Good luck!
Congrats on the tubi. Its a great exhaust no question and much better than the drab old stock. I actually have one as well that im looking to sell and when i had it on i enjoyed it most of the time.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Try something different. A bunch of us Southern Cali 6speeders are running the new BBI Autosport exhaust and we are absoluetly in love with it. The sound is absolutely different from any other 997tt exhaust out there. It screams like a NA motor at WOT and has absolutely ZERO drone.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
FVD nothing else!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Try something different. A bunch of us Southern Cali 6speeders are running the new BBI Autosport exhaust and we are absoluetly in love with it. The sound is absolutely different from any other 997tt exhaust out there. It screams like a NA motor at WOT and has absolutely ZERO drone.
Sounds great and would love to see it/hear it and am sure its good, but honestly I could not possibly imagine it to be any better than the Europipe as its just had too much time and effort put into it. Also, i dont buy the bit on the "absolutely zero drone" (no offense Gotboost) as the stock exhaust still has a bit of its own so again cant imagine how any A/Mkt exhaust can manage to give a decent exhaust note and at the same time completely eliminate the stock systems own boom. Its simply just not plausible. The "zero drone" thing is BS and that needs to be accepted across the wider community. It is acheivable on an atmo engine but this 997tt VTG engine.....no way can it be totally eliminated. Thats not to say i wouldnt like someone to do that.....it evidently appears to be impossible given the stock mufflers own predicament.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Hey, what about me?!?!? (wannabe SoCal'er)

Originally Posted by speed21
Sounds great and would love to see it/hear it and am sure its good, but honestly I could not possibly imagine it to be any better than the Europipe as its just had too much time and effort put into it. Also, i dont buy the bit on the "absolutely zero drone" (no offense Gotboost) as the stock exhaust still has a bit of its own so again cant imagine how any A/Mkt exhaust can manage to give a decent exhaust note and at the same time completely eliminate the stock systems own boom. Its simply just not plausible. The "zero drone" thing is BS and that needs to be accepted across the wider community. It is acheivable on an atmo engine but this 997tt VTG engine.....no way can it be totally eliminated. Thats not to say i wouldnt like someone to do that.....it evidently appears to be impossible given the stock mufflers own predicament.
Speed, you're absolutely correct. I always thought I was a bit sensitive to it, but the stock exhaust, while anemic, did have a bit of a drone.

The BBI system is a truly a fantastic piece of hardware. Sounds great, significant weight-loss. But drone IS there, but it is VERY tolerable. Particularly at around 2100-2300 rpms on throttle where most systems suffer from this problem. There is no perfect system out there, but I'll throw another vote in there for this as one of the best.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
centexm3 is infamous around these parts
where is a good place to get the Europipe? ... i did a quick search and found it on TPS racing . ? .. does vivid carry it ? also - is there any software need for it ?

Last edited by centexm3; 05-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Europipe EP1 quality is amazing! Absolute perfection in my opinion.

With respect to all others on this very well worn subject, as the OP has already experienced drone and doesnt want any (or should i say want the least possible for this engine) then there is definately only one option out there and thats Europipe's EP1. Yes you will pay more for the EP1 over the others but there is a reason why. It just depends whether you want to find out the easy way or the hard way. The 997tt engine already has a bit of boom in the stock system between 1700 and 3000 under load so dont delude yourself that will get any quieter. EP1 will not only give you the least possible drone (like stock), but an awsome sound (way loud enough) and your butt dyno will definately feel it has clearly woken up the engine. Highly recommended! Dont blow it!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gerardo
100 cell cats = 100 cell catalytic convertors(100目金屬觸媒)
Image from Europipe
Just check out the huge diameter of the Europipe cats vs stock. You can see why the turbos' spool so fast as all the immediate backpressure is eliminated. I have a tubi (which im now selling) and to get an understanding of just how big these EP cats are in comparison to the tubis,which are also bigger than stock, is mind blowing when they are put alongside one another. You really get something special here with these EP cats....and the the entire sytem for that matter. There is simply no comparison .

Originally Posted by bonehead

Speed, you're absolutely correct. I always thought I was a bit sensitive to it, but the stock exhaust, while anemic, did have a bit of a drone.

The BBI system is a truly a fantastic piece of hardware. Sounds great, significant weight-loss. But drone IS there, but it is VERY tolerable. Particularly at around 2100-2300 rpms on throttle where most systems suffer from this problem. There is no perfect system out there, but I'll throw another vote in there for this as one of the best.
Bonehead, really appreciate your honesty with the "no drone" BS and good to hear the BB1 is a goody (tolerable...if you will). And, whilst on the topic of this notorious drone issue, it all eventually comes down to what one considers "acceptably tolerable" and obviously some owners have a far greater tolerance than others. It may have something to do with hearing loss or something.

Originally Posted by centexm3
where is a good place to get the Europipe? ... i did a quick search and found it on TPS racing . ? .. does vivid carry it ? also - is there any software need for it ?
www.europipe.be Go direct, you'll have it in 2 days max. Unbelievable service. Email Stef. Alternatively if you are in Cali i know Alex at Sharkwerks is tongueing to fit one and will really look after you.

Good luck and more to the point....enjoy!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
freeman is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

sounds great and would love to see it/hear it and am sure its good, but honestly i could not possibly imagine it to be any better than the europipe as its just had too much time and effort put into it. Also, i dont buy the bit on the "absolutely zero drone" (no offense gotboost) as the stock exhaust still has a bit of its own so again cant imagine how any a/mkt exhaust can manage to give a decent exhaust note and at the same time completely eliminate the stock systems own boom. Its simply just not plausible. The "zero drone" thing is bs and that needs to be accepted across the wider community. It is acheivable on an atmo engine but this 997tt vtg engine.....no way can it be totally eliminated. Thats not to say i wouldnt like someone to do that.....it evidently appears to be impossible given the stock mufflers own predicament.
+100

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
does vivid carry it ?
No. Vivid does not carry EP. At least they didn't when I checked with Dan a couple of weeks ago.

also - is there any software need for it ?
I'm not sure what you mean by software need...
If you are on stock ECU, you will still get the most/all of the benefits of the new exhaust without re-flashing.
If you've already re-flashed the your ECU, you will not need to re-flash it/tune it for an exhaust change but you will get noticeable improvement with this combo.
Having said that though, ECU upgrade + exhaust upgrade + air filter upgrade always work very well together and I think you'll find that their is a consensus here that they are a great stage 1 performance upgrade package.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
You can order direct from Stef@Europipe.be or TPC. There is no need to do anything with the Europipe except enjoy it's glorious baritone sound.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Wow. I didn't realize you could hear drone in the stock system. I heard nothing but turbo spool with the stock system. Drone was not evident what so ever for me. I guess some people are more keen to sound than others.

As far as the BBI system being better or not to Europipe is all subjective I guess. However, don't doubt something you haven't heard yourself. I have heard both and I personally prefer the sound of the BBI system myself. Cost between the 2 aren't that different, so you can't use cost as a basis for what is better or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: best "air-cool" sound exhaust for 997 Turbo