997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

best "air-cool" sound exhaust for 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Hey, what about me?!?!? (wannabe SoCal'er)

Speed, you're absolutely correct. I always thought I was a bit sensitive to it, but the stock exhaust, while anemic, did have a bit of a drone.

The BBI system is a truly a fantastic piece of hardware. Sounds great, significant weight-loss. But drone IS there, but it is VERY tolerable. Particularly at around 2100-2300 rpms on throttle where most systems suffer from this problem. There is no perfect system out there, but I'll throw another vote in there for this as one of the best.
You are considered part of the Socal crew already and I didn't see a need to mention you individually.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Wow. I didn't realize you could hear drone in the stock system. I heard nothing but turbo spool with the stock system. Drone was not evident what so ever for me. I guess some people are more keen to sound than others.

As far as the BBI system being better or not to Europipe is all subjective I guess. However, don't doubt something you haven't heard yourself. I have heard both and I personally prefer the sound of the BBI system myself. Cost between the 2 aren't that different, so you can't use cost as a basis for what is better or not.
Yep..stock has some drone....not annoying but still drone tho. Surprised to hear you havent heard that as most agree on that point. I found you'd get it on a steady uphill incline in 4th/5th. I knew the very first time i heard it i knew there was going to be an issue if i changed the exhaust.....which as you know had to be done asap as the stock exhaust is just so unbearably lame. The stock turbo spool you speak of was something i could barely ever hear as the whole thing sounded like a giant wooshing vacuum cleaner .

And, agree its subjective where (outside) sound is concerned but i maintain it'd be hard to top the Ep on that. I find it much better than my tubi i recently removed and that wasnt shabby so if your BB1 is on the same level soundwise to the EP then its obviously impressive in that department. Was it an EP1 or EP2? My main point of critisim on any a/mkt exhaust is not so much the sound it makes on the outside but more so the sound it makes on the inside and how much drone is involved in the general mix. The turbo will never be able to replicate the delicious sound the P atmo engines deliver on the inside so its important having it sound really good inside.....well... as much as possible where a turbo is concerned. And, thats also where EP1 really shines...awsome turbo whistle mixed with a blend of typical P atmo engine notes and a little bit of the inevitable turbo hum. If BB1 has manged that then i'd like to personally hear it before believing it. Yes, I'm a very harsh critic. And, on the outside sound, you cant be in two places at the one time... and i'd always prefer to be in the drivers seat instead of on the sidewalk .

Finally, on the issue of cost...well thats another thing. You definately get what you pay for with EP in that dept.....worth every penny and then some. Now, If BB1 has managed to match the physical build quality of EP then that also needs to be seen to be believed. Does it come with all the special tools, the new gaskets, studs. nuts, instructions, etc etc. If it does then maybe you have found a winner .

Anyway, "enjoy"....thats the main thing...you really dig your choice and there is no down side.

Last edited by speed21; 05-13-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Yep..stock has some drone....not annoying but still drone tho. Surprised to hear you havent heard that as most agree on that point. I found you'd get it on a steady uphill incline in 4th/5th. I knew the very first time i heard it i knew there was going to be an issue if i changed the exhaust.....which as you know had to be done asap as the stock exhaust is just so unbearably lame. The stock turbo spool you speak of was something i could barely ever hear as the whole thing sounded like a giant wooshing vacuum cleaner .

And, agree its subjective where (outside) sound is concerned but i maintain it'd be hard to top the Ep on that. I find it much better than my tubi i recently removed and that wasnt shabby so if your BB1 is on the same level soundwise to the EP then its obviously impressive in that department. Was it an EP1 or EP2? My main point of critisim on any a/mkt exhaust is not so much the sound it makes on the outside but more so the sound it makes on the inside and how much drone is involved in the general mix. The turbo will never be able to replicate the delicious sound the P atmo engines deliver on the inside so its important having it sound really good inside.....well... as much as possible where a turbo is concerned. And, thats also where EP1 really shines...awsome turbo whistle mixed with a blend of typical P atmo engine notes and a little bit of the inevitable turbo hum. If BB1 has manged that then i'd like to personally hear it before believing it. Yes, I'm a very harsh critic. And, on the outside sound, you cant be in two places at the one time... and i'd always prefer to be in the drivers seat instead of on the sidewalk .

Finally, on the issue of cost...well thats another thing. You definately get what you pay for with EP in that dept.....worth every penny and then some. Now, If BB1 has managed to match the physical build quality of EP then that also needs to be seen to be believed. Does it come with all the special tools, the new gaskets, studs. nuts, instructions, etc etc. If it does then maybe you have found a winner .

Anyway, "enjoy"....thats the main thing...you really dig your choice and there is no down side.
I am not positive on whether it was an EP1 or 2. I agree that it has to sound good on the inside since we rarely get to hear it from the outside. As far as build quality goes, I am sure all the guys on 6speed who has the BBI system will vouch for it. I don't mean to knock the EP system if you took it that way. It really is one of the best systems out there for our cars. If we weren't oceans apart, you could be hanging out with us on Saturday mornings for Cars & Coffee and we could all compare exhaust notes.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I am not positive on whether it was an EP1 or 2. I agree that it has to sound good on the inside since we rarely get to hear it from the outside. As far as build quality goes, I am sure all the guys on 6speed who has the BBI system will vouch for it. I don't mean to knock the EP system if you took it that way. It really is one of the best systems out there for our cars. If we weren't oceans apart, you could be hanging out with us on Saturday mornings for Cars & Coffee and we could all compare exhaust notes.
Never took it that way GB but on that i can pretty well take more than than what i can give, besides i always prefer to know where i stand anyway so if i do happen to step on any toes in my postings on 6 you guys can pretty well give it to me with both barells...ok, well maybe not both barrels....just one . And, on the cars/coffees it'd be awsome to hang out with you guys....we'd have a lot in common im sure.
Cheers, P.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
centexm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
No. Vivid does not carry EP. At least they didn't when I checked with Dan a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by software need...
If you are on stock ECU, you will still get the most/all of the benefits of the new exhaust without re-flashing.
If you've already re-flashed the your ECU, you will not need to re-flash it/tune it for an exhaust change but you will get noticeable improvement with this combo.
Having said that though, ECU upgrade + exhaust upgrade + air filter upgrade always work very well together and I think you'll find that their is a consensus here that they are a great stage 1 performance upgrade package.

Good luck.
what i meant was --- will i have to do any software modification to accept this exhaust -- like does it throw a censor or anything -- or is it just a direct replacement you just bolt on and go ..

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by centexm3
what i meant was --- will i have to do any software modification to accept this exhaust -- like does it throw a censor or anything -- or is it just a direct replacement you just bolt on and go ..
No...absolutely NOT! There is definately no software upgrade required for this mod. No cels ever with EP. Bolts straight on as direct replacement with no modification required whatsoever....infact its an absolute dream to install if you are familiar with this R and R.
And... you ask then just go?....Yes! Absolutely! And i mean GO as you will feel it goes better in everyway, yes mucho better .
Email stef@europipe.be and he will answer all your concerns as he did with me and i guess plenty of others too.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What's the difference btwn EP1 and 2?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
What's the difference btwn EP1 and 2?
2 hp only. EP2 uses 75mm pipe vs EP1 at 60mm. Stef insists EP2 is not recommended for sensitive ears so i'd be inclined to take his word as gospel on that. He uses EP1 on his own TT so that may also be an indicator. I personally wouldnt want anything louder inside in the low rpm range than what EP1 is but it seems everyone is different. I find it better inside than the tubi was.... not that its heaps quieter but its a touch quieter and has a better mixture of sounds. You dont just get a variance of humm. I see Rufturbo has the EP2 and he totally loves it. I've personally never auditioned an EP2 so i'm not qualified to comment but it must scream like hell as the EP1 has a very angry bark to it when you get up it. Its louder than tubi on outside for sure. Mine also sometimes sets off my neighbours very sensitive car alarm when i start first up in the morning.... i can see they love it.hehe. It also noticeably hauls *** better than the tubi and its not my imagination. The tubi sounded quite nice but i cant say it did anything to the performance like the EP has done. Hope this helps .

Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Now I see.
I think there are several great choices. FVD is an awesome system with customer service second to none. FVD stuff is all made by M&M, the one and only maker of GT3RSR/cup systems for Porsche Motorsports. I think CG probably has the worst customer service according to accounts on the boards.
I will post a video of their (FVD) moderate system shortly, I will also be beta testing another version at some point too, stay tuned.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 05-14-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
To me, drone is an annoying resonance that results in an irritating hummmmmmmmmmmm. My FVD race system has no such drone. It has an aggressive note throughout the rpm range. Just perfect. Wouldn't change a thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by centexm3
As Paul (Speed21) answered you, from his direct experience and from all other EP users here, EP is bolt on and go.
They use VERY large diameter 100 cell cats that are advertized as not throwing CELs.
All the EP owners concur.

Good luck with you purchase. I'm certain you'll enjoy it.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
there is always going to be some slight drone in any system. The way the exhaust is designed can minimize it and shift it out of the cruising rpm ranges. Almost every 997tt in Houston has an AWE exhaust. The resonance on the AWE system is most pronounced at idle. It does not sound like an aircooled car, but rather a demonic force.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I like my AWE Gen 2 but it does sound very different inside vs outside the car (as all exhausts probably do). Just a bit of drone noise between 2-3k rpms if you are on part throttle or "lugging" a little, but it could be a lot worse. It's nice when you're stomping on it. The extra low bass notes rattle the bedroom above the garage enough to ignite a sleeping wife's wrath.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned
[quote=eclou;2841255]there is always going to be some slight drone in any system. quote]

Not clear here eclou. Do you mean 997tt exhausts or...ALL exhausts inc atmo P engine exhausts?

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Just a bit of drone noise between 2-3k rpms if you are on part throttle or "lugging" a little, but it could be a lot worse.
Glad to hear you are managing with your AWE's drone level. Are you saying your system could be worse? I'm not totally clear here? Yes, I've heard some 997tt A/mkt systems can be a LOT worse......but how much worse can yours be or, get?

I've read on other posts drone being quoted by some as "being subjective" but that's complete utter BS and, being deceptive. Drone is "drone" in any mans language....it is a condition within an exhaust system whereby the design has not provided for the complete removal of resonance/boom/drone (or whatever term some may choose to call it in a bid to hide or to water the correct term down).

Now...what "may" be subjective is an individuals "tolerance to that drone" and, how bad that particular drone level is in that system. Nothing more, nothing less .

Last edited by speed21; 05-16-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TTdude
To me, drone is an annoying resonance that results in an irritating hummmmmmmmmmmm. My FVD race system has no such drone. It has an aggressive note throughout the rpm range. Just perfect. Wouldn't change a thing.
Your car sounds great!! can't wait to have mine installed . NOW You should make another video outside of the garage

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: best "air-cool" sound exhaust for 997 Turbo