997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How many miles for new car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
trice9 is infamous around these partstrice9 is infamous around these parts
How many miles for new car?

How many miles is appropriate for a car ordered to spec? My 2010 PDK cab will be here shortly, and I don't want the dealer breaking it in with some launch starts ala Ferris Bueller's day off. I want to make sure of this. I've heard different things as to whether these get a hot or cold start back at the factory (not looking to open the debate as to the best way to break in a car). But I'm assuming once it leaves germany, there should be minimal miles put on it. I saw a 2010 TT this dealer had for a customer order and it had 22 miles, which I thought was ridiculously high. My friend's BMW 750 that he ordered had 4 miles upon delivery. Given that my car has been ordered for me and I've put a deposit down, no one, including the dealer, should be test driving it. So, how many miles is acceptable? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If a car is ordered then delivered to the dealership, the mileage should be very very minimal. A car on the lot has probably been test driven by the dealer, customers, etc.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
The car will have a speed limiter installed at the factory, which limits the speed to something like 25mph. This limiter is removed by the dealer who more often than not will perform a short test drive to insure all systems are working properly. Mileage should be minimal and depends what coast it is shipped to and the drop off point to the dealer. My car had 8 miles on it at delivery. Rest assured all the people that will handle you car prior to delivery know what they are doing and have no interest it taking it out to "see what she'll do".

You get the privilege of performing the first over rev test!

Enjoy your car!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
walkera is infamous around these parts
Mine arrived with 16 miles on it.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
yarub1 is infamous around these parts
I ordered mine and it had 15km when I got it. Enjoy your new car in good health!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
I am friends with the service manager at a particular dealership and have been in a couple cars right off the truck, those first few miles where hard. So you really never know but I would say 5-7 miles tops for new car since it does go through PDI, fuel, ect.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TestJet
I am friends with the service manager at a particular dealership and have been in a couple cars right off the truck, those first few miles where hard. So you really never know but I would say 5-7 miles tops for new car since it does go through PDI, fuel, ect.
"HARD"? How is that possible with the limiter that is installed at the factory? The limiter is installed to preclude dock workers and transporter drivers from racing around in new cars. Go to a dealer when new cars are being delivered and you will see a plastic gizmo sticking out in front of the windshield by the wiper. This plastic thing has to be removed to disable the limiter. The dealer does this to enable to perform the final engine checks. I believe that the plastic piece cannot be reinstalled once it has been removed.

in any event the OP shouldn't worry about any abuse of his car prior to delivery. No mechanic in his right mind would jeopardize his job for a fast lap around the block.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
? Service and new car managers are the ones who take the new models out when they arrive, surely the mechanics do not have access to the keys since they are on a key track system after inventory. I did not mean off the truck and on the street in 5 minutes. If you think this does not happen you are fooling yourself.

Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
"HARD"? How is that possible with the limiter that is installed at the factory? The limiter is installed to preclude dock workers and transporter drivers from racing around in new cars. Go to a dealer when new cars are being delivered and you will see a plastic gizmo sticking out in front of the windshield by the wiper. This plastic thing has to be removed to disable the limiter. The dealer does this to enable to perform the final engine checks. I believe that the plastic piece cannot be reinstalled once it has been removed.

in any event the OP shouldn't worry about any abuse of his car prior to delivery. No mechanic in his right mind would jeopardize his job for a fast lap around the block.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I agree with HUMMM3: the cars have limiters from the factory (IIRC, 25 mph and modest RPM's), the limiters are removed and the cars are taken on test drive (and gasoline fill-up) as part of the PDI. Once removed the limiters cannot be reinstalled. At both my dealerships, the mechanics drive the cars and they have zero interest in beating on the cars, period. These cars are commonplace to the mechanics who value their jobs.

My car arrived with 10 miles and was delivered with 14; it was an early 2009, it sat in port for about a month and you could see it shuffled around a bit on the port web-cam so the arrival mileage was a bit higher than average; the limiter was intact.

Personally, I think people worry way too much about the initial few miles anyway. I agree with the MotoMan theory that a more aggressive break-in is better anyway.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Mine had 18 miles on it.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
mine was ordered, had 8m on it.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard 7-15 miles on ones off the truck. I dont know about the rev limiter thing.
How do you test drive a car at 25 MPH, unless youre talking about orders only.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have heard 7-15 miles on ones off the truck. I dont know about the rev limiter thing.
How do you test drive a car at 25 MPH, unless youre talking about orders only.
Once the dealer performs PDI, the car has no limitations.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 AM
wyk1982 is infamous around these parts
my first porsche is going to be built in April (hopefully) but from my experience, i've owned two different M cars and both were delivered with around 10 miles each... my last car, the R8 had about 70 or 80 which i found to be ridiculous - the dealer told me they had to do mandatory testing... at that point what could i have done? waited another year+ for the car? i expressed my displeasure and drove off... point is, either way, whatever mileage is on it won't really make a difference as you waited long enough for the beast! let's hope it's under 10 though

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by wyk1982
my last car, the R8 had about 70 or 80 which i found to be ridiculous - the dealer told me they had to do mandatory testing...
Mandatory that the GM, Asst GM, Service Advisor, mechanic, etc. all went for a test drive. As with Porsche, Audi requires a PDI, but it 70-80 miles is excessive.

My previous three cars have been Audi's and the issue with their "halo" cars is that they are rare to the everyone in the dealerships. I think the allure of a "rare" car is just too much for many of the Audi dealerships. At least with Porsche, a TT rolling through the dealership is commonplace and it does not really excite the employees enough to jeopardize their jobs for a joyride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many miles for new car?