997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCBs revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
PCCBs revisited

Well I have spent the past 2 hours scowering the web for more info on the PCCBs, including the threads here, and I have yet to find answers regarding longevity. For a non tracked car, just DD I have heard that the rotors may never need replacing, and that the pads may be able to survive 50,000 miles are longer. Has anyone heard any more definitive answers. The frightening part is that rotors plus pads all around can run close to 20 grand, but for a car that will only be dd (less than 7k miles per year), I am hoping this would be a service that is not anticipated until the remote future. Also, does anyone know when the gen2 PCCBs where introduced, and has anyone with a 997 had to replace them.
-Getz

Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
I tend to agree, that for a DD they should be very long lasting. You can buy the entire PCCB system including calipers for about 14-15k. Individual parts tend to cost more.

If buying the car new, the $9000 cost is practically a bargain.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I have PCCB's on my 08 turbo, i use them hard on roads, 15k kms and they look like the first day.

Their best feature is that they don't dirty the wheels.

I hope that helps you

Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
Well I have spent the past 2 hours scowering the web for more info on the PCCBs, including the threads here, and I have yet to find answers regarding longevity. For a non tracked car, just DD I have heard that the rotors may never need replacing, and that the pads may be able to survive 50,000 miles are longer. Has anyone heard any more definitive answers. The frightening part is that rotors plus pads all around can run close to 20 grand, but for a car that will only be dd (less than 7k miles per year), I am hoping this would be a service that is not anticipated until the remote future. Also, does anyone know when the gen2 PCCBs where introduced, and has anyone with a 997 had to replace them.
-Getz
Don't know about the pads, but for the rotors, if you don't track, it's true the rotors last seemingly forever. Amazingly enough, for cars strictly used as daily driver, I am not aware of any 997 Turbo needing replacing yet on these forums. There is not enough data for gen. 2, but I would not be surprised that it's 75k plus, maybe even 100k plus. Gen 2 was introduced towards the end of the 996 Turbo cycle. Specifically, I believe 996 Turbo S was the first one that got it. Maybe around 2004-2005? (Anyone please correct me as needed.)

One of the biggest un-supported fear of PCCB is replacement cost. Who says you need to replace PCCB with PCCB? My plan is when/if the PCCB wears out, I will switch to Brembo. That way, I will have had a minimum of 5 years of enjoying the best that Porsche has to offer. It's worth it.

Big red is great, but if you have the money and you don't track the car, you are on the right track: Get PCCB (reduced unsprung weight, amazing initial bite that made you feel as if stopped by the hands of God ).

Last edited by cannga; 03-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Very helpful, thanks guys. Anyone know how long the pads tend to last on a DD, I know it varies by driving style, but I doubt I would be heating them up too much, and the car will not touch the track. I can't afford the track day insurance :P
-Getz

Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Cannaga said it perfectly, again.

Originally Posted by getz
Anyone know how long the pads tend to last on a DD, I know it varies by driving style, but I doubt I would be heating them up too much, and the car will not touch the track. I can't afford the track day insurance
As a DD the pads and rotors are going to last a really long time. In fact, I also don't know of anyone, even those who lightly track their cars, who have had to replace the pads.

As far as never touching the track... I think you are doing yourself a huge disservice not taking the car to the track at least once or twice. It is really a different experience and nobody says you have to drive at 10/10's. You can still have fun starting very conservatively and cautiously working your way up to say 8/10's. My track motto is drive there, have fun, drive home. Off the track, you are only enjoying a fraction of what your car is capable of. Track time will make you are more confident of the car's (and your own) capabilities.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
I'm not an expert, but I was thinking the same thing as Can when I read about the eventual replacement (whenever that would be). Just switch to the Brembo reds. Besides, it sounds like you'd be keeping the car into the higher miles to be faced with this situation, and personally I don't know if I would have the same car at 75-100K and beyond.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DLJ
I'm not an expert, but I was thinking the same thing as Can when I read about the eventual replacement (whenever that would be). Just switch to the Brembo reds. Besides, it sounds like you'd be keeping the car into the higher miles to be faced with this situation, and personally I don't know if I would have the same car at 75-100K and beyond.
The yellow PCCB calipers are compatible with 380mm steel rotors, provided you use a short annulus brake pad set in the front. No need to swap the entire brake system.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-15-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
PCCB Brakes

I have 25K miles on my 2008 TT and my pads are less than 25% worn out. DD only- no track time. They do last forever.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM
ukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
I have 25K miles on my 2008 TT and my pads are less than 25% worn out. DD only- no track time. They do last forever.

Do you drive it hard, And do you have any performance mods?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
One of the things i've been told by several folks whose opinion I trust is to not let the pads get more than 50-60%. Letting the pads wear down tends to eat the rotors.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
The ONLY downside I have found is when wet. Every once in a while you hit the brakes and nothing happens. Anybody else experience this? I only put about 6000 miles a year on my car, drive it on a 1 to 10 scale at about a 7 & do not track it so not worried about longevity.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
ukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by E55AMG
One of the things i've been told by several folks whose opinion I trust is to not let the pads get more than 50-60%. Letting the pads wear down tends to eat the rotors.
How much meat do the standard pads have on them?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Great advice which I have also heard.

Originally Posted by imcarnuts
The ONLY downside I have found is when wet. Every once in a while you hit the brakes and nothing happens. Anybody else experience this? I only put about 6000 miles a year on my car, drive it on a 1 to 10 scale at about a 7 & do not track it so not worried about longevity.
Yes. Even after reading about it, it was a little unnerving the first time. Now whenever it is really wet, I tap the brakes every so often to avoid the issue.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought my 997tt a couple of weeks ago...It was a cpo and they told me part of the cpo process included changing the brakes...They replaced the pads on my car and it had a tick under 20k miles....Not sure if they needed changing or if that was just part of the cpo process...Love the brakes but hate how they squeal sometimes! Its kind of embarrassing when they squeak when coming to a stop....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCBs revisited