997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dynoing a 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Dynoing a 997tt

Hey guys, I'm going to dyno my car before I start modding....Does anyone know how to disconnect the front drive shafts to dyno the car....The dyno at the shop is a rear wheel drive dyno only...If anyone has a diy step by step or has done it before that would be great!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think it might be wiser to drive on down to GMG for a baseline or two vs. what your suggesting. I believe its not so simple vs. the 996 Turbo.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
The shop that is going to do the dyno is going to start making an exhaust for the 997tt...They have dyno'd the 996 by disconnecting the drive shafts but have yet to do a 997...So I was doing a little research to see if I could help out...You may be correct though, seeing that they have yet to dyno one yet.....

Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that rear wheel dynos, even with the front axle disconnected, are problematic for the 997TT. You might try searching a bit. Also, some very respectable tuners are not huge dyno fans when it comes to the 997TT. Unless you are familiar with the nuances of the 997TT (i.e: not the first time they dyno it), it is a pretty difficult car to obtain repeatable and meaningful dyno data. The trip to GMG sounds like a good suggestion.

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-15-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
I have seen 997TT with driveshaft disconnected for dyno,

yet contact Casey @ TPCracing.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Go under search, it has been done.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
beetle is infamous around these parts
Are 4WD dynos really that hard to come by? There are seven or eight within driving distance to me (that I know of)....surely there'd be one somewhere near you that you could access so you didn't have to dismantle your car?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
There are dyno's in driving distance...I have heard awd dynos can be bad for the trans due to the different power distribution in regards to the front and back ratio....But in this case, the shop does all its r&d on their own....I was just seeing if its possible to disconnect the driveshafts or if anyone has done it and knows how....

aznevoviii I will contact them...Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I know gmg has a lot of experience with awd dynos and 997tts, that's what I would do, esp since you're in california. TPC does in fact disconnect the shaft, but they are race seasoned/daytona winning pros, very experienced who know exactly what they are doing. I would not equate TPC with a shop doing it for the first time, nor would I take my 130k car to such a shop to be the ginnea pig. What if something goes wrong? I'll bet they won't poney up to fix your car. GL...GMG

Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone for their input so far...The shop is actually an extreme reputable shop that has done a lot of high performance upgrades for vehicles....

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
DYNO 997tt

Just dyno'd my 997tt on a dynojet rwd dyno.

The 997tt is different then the 996tt. The issue with the 997tt is once you disconnect the driveshaft the rear brakes will lock making it impossible to drive or dyno.

In order to run the car in rear wheel drive on the street and or on the dyno you MUST also remove the PASM/PSM fuse - fuse C10 I believe. Its the last fuse in row C furthest away from the seat.

If you do not remove the fuse you WILL NOT be able to prevent the brakes from proportioning.

Once you remove the fuse and get the car connected and secured on the dyno, do a light pass to get the wheels spinning. Come to stop and check to make sure the rear brake rotors are NOT warm - if they are cool then you are good to go.

NOTE you will be tripping PSM / PASM errors on the dash while running the car without the fuse.

Here is a vid of a recent dyno pass with the driveshaft disconnected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-27LSRCJR0

Keith

Originally Posted by skeeter
Hey guys, I'm going to dyno my car before I start modding....Does anyone know how to disconnect the front drive shafts to dyno the car....The dyno at the shop is a rear wheel drive dyno only...If anyone has a diy step by step or has done it before that would be great!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the great info!! Your car is SICK!!! Thats some awesome power your car is putting out!!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Did you figure out what type of dyno they use. There is dyno jet, dynamics, and dynapack. Let's just say dynamics will read the lowest of all possible

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Its a dyno dynamics..

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
So what will happen if you do not disconnect the driveshaft and simply pull this fuse you mention pls???

Will it be more RWD prone with more power transfered to the rear wheels or not ?

I am trying to figure out if it can be done without removeing anything simply by electronics... I am a huge fan of RWD cars and would like a GT2 mainly for this reason, but the difference in price over a Turbo is not worth it IMO....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dynoing a 997tt