997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is everyone going PDK???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
i learned that pdk cars in porsche , audi,mitsu has a lot of problems when youre warranty
is finished it will cost too much to repair.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
i learned that pdk cars in porsche , audi,mitsu has a lot of problems when youre warranty
is finished it will cost too much to repair.
I think you are correct! It's new(er) technology and currently still very expensive to fix. Audi/VW has quite a bit of problems with their DSG transmission. Average cost of repair is $6-$8k. I can't imagine what it would be on the Porsche!!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cabman4007
The way things are progressing in the auto industry it doesnt look like we will have much choice in the next 10 years.

Manual cars will be a thing of the past which is too bad.

Cab

+1, DCTs are faster, more efficient and have much more room to improve, manuals will be kind of exotic soon.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 03-17-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
in porsche it starts with noises after that they change with a new gearbox under warranty
nobody repaire it for now

Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
+1, DCTs are faster, more efficient and have much more room to improve, manuals will only be a memory in a few years.
We'll see I guess. There are two important factors:
* Cost: I think it will take a while before automated manuals are as cheap as conventional manuals
* Demand: I moved to the US from Belgium and over 90% of people drive conventional manuals.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I for one would prefer(not sure I will actually do it though) a PDK for next car not because it would be more engaging or fun, but rather for the track benefits...on the street it really doesnt matter which tranny you have when your driving the speed limit imho....but on the track unless you are very good, you will go faster with PDK as the downshift rev matches will be perfect and you dont have to learn heel/toe...shifts will obv be quicker too......just point and go.

If the car will be driven on street only, it would not matter to me one bit which transmission I had...they both have their pros and cons.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
in porsche it starts with noises after that they change with a new gearbox under warranty
nobody repaire it for now
Same with the DSG; no one has a clue how to repair them, so they just replace it . The GT-R is another nice example... IMO, those transmissions are all money pits if you plan on keeping a car around for a long time. The service on them is expensive as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
as i said, the era of DCTs has just started.
in a few years they will be much cheaper and the service will be as easy.

P.S. the DCTs are also safer, cause u are able to have both hands constantly on the steering wheel while driving.
I can`t see anything but a bright future for DCTs.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
P.S. the DCTs are also safer, cause u are able to have both hands constantly on the steering wheel while driving.
I would highly disagree with that. The more cars get computer controlled, the more dangerous IMO. Have you read about the DSG issues? Several people almost got into serious accidents (and some probably did). No such thing will happen with a regular manual. DSG has been around since 04 or 05. You'd think they figured it out by now...

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like to be the one controlling the car and not a computer...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
bad news always makes more noise than good if u know what i mean.
the problem is that nobody will stop the "computerization" of our cars and manuals don`t really fit in that future.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
i've always driven manual... but let me ask you this... are you really going to buy a brand new turbo and not equip it with PDK? it's the most improved part of the car... if it were my decision, I would get the PDK, and bang around in my Cayman for fun... but seems almost like a waste to buy the new turbo without it... to each their own.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Salespunk
I have not driven the Porsche version, but I have driven other dual clutch cars and while very fast you do lose some driver involvement. Quicker, yes, as engaging, no. It is fun in the beginning, but after 12 months I lost interest. One very important piece is whether it is a daily driver. For this purpose it is the best possible compromise.
BINGO! I drive an E93 M3 conv w/DCT...Love it for everyday, it's perfect. but my Porsche is a stick..

Old 03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sbkim
Great question. It would be awesome to hear from people lucky enough to have owned 997.1 manual and PDK. I just got my 08 6 speed but after reading all of these glowing reviews and test results, I am having pdk envy
I have owned the 997.1 manual and PDK of the normally aspirated 997S . In terms of shift efficiency the PDK blows away the manual. For ease in gridlock traffic the normal auto is very appealing and for high speed racing the manual can not compete.
It's the middle speed driving that took adjusting. With 7 speeds versus 6 it means that manual shifting is frequent. The normal auto mode is too boring and the sport auto mode is rather agressive --particularly when it downshifts to 1st gear . Using manual mode is the way I drive the car --so I am shifting anyway but with much more speed .

With the Turbo the choice is even better. The WORST feature of the Turbo is the awful power assist clutch and the car's inability to maintain boost in shifting. PDK solves this . I woild be curious to know how one can tune this car to a high Hp level . If PDK breaks on massive Hp gains --it woild not be fun.

PDK gets the most out of the shift , makes it easy for daily driving, and it's just the first year in production cars. It's hard to say how PDK will evolve and whether an older version PDK will become dated. In a 180+ K car that is something to consider.

My decision was easy --keep my manual EVT700 and buy a PDK 997S . I didn't take any loss on trading my car , I have the PDK for daly use with narrow body to reduce ding exposure , high front lip clearance, cheaper entry price with huge 09 discounts, and a variety of engines and transmissions to suit my driving mood.

In conclusion --it's not an either or -but BOTH.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
One more thing --
PDK can NOT over rev .
Thus a money shift is an impossibility .
That alone is worth the PDK over the manual in terms of engine preservation on a 180K car.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^^^Larry/yrralis took the words right out of my mouth. Among the many points posted that I agreed with, above all, I too think that I, and you (the generic motorsport fan you) won't be "completely" happy unless we own both.

I own a manual Turbo, and recently drove a PDK Turbo. It would have been easy if the car is just fast, ... it is fast and fun, and I still do sometimes miss the astounding acceleration (do yourself a favor and get a test drive, a Turbo PDK is fast BEYOND imagination with the first 3 gears). My opinion is that at the race track, or on a street race, in other words, at 10/10 driving, a PDK car is going to beat a car with manual box, no way around this. In case of a Turbo engine, not only it's the speed of shifting, but as Larrry mentioned, it's the boost: a PDK Turbo doesn't lose boost at all between shift. Our manual cars drop boost the moment we lift throttle, however slightly. The exception being a professional driver shifting without regards for the box's longevity of course.

However, and this is where it gets interesting. I believe that for any other level of driving where all out speed is not the only goal, the manual gear box is more involving, and much more so. Perhaps it's because we are forced to know the rpm, and hence "know" and listen to the engine, at all times, perhaps it's because we enjoy rev matching and feel the engagement. For whatever reason, as others have mentioned, it IS more involving and I don't want to be without my manual car.

I intend to add a PDK car when the time comes and keep my manual Turbo.

Last edited by cannga; 03-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is everyone going PDK???