997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is everyone going PDK???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I never drove a DSG . From what I understand it is very dated in comparison.
I think you are correct. It first showed up somewhere around '04 in the Audi TT.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I agree with most here (even LUCIANO), there are some that will always want to row their own gears... The PDK (DCT) offers it's own version of fun. It's not for everybody, but more people can drive it (based on my dealership's numbers that 90% of Porsche's sold are auto's/PDK's).
Hey hey now LOL

On a serious note, it does sound like these transmissions are getting pretty sophisticated and there's no doubt in my mind they are fast and practical but I think only the minority of people buying these cars actually race on a track. It's not about being the fastest on the street but just about a fun driving experience and to me, rowing the gears is still part of that.

That said, I will always own one car with a DCT because my wife simply can't drive a manual and it's the perfect compromise so I can still have fun as well. I definitely like it a LOT better than conventional auto's and drive in manual mode all the time.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
To each his own. Let's stop beating this PDK vs manual tranny topic to death. The sad truth is that manual trannies are dying a slow death. I have always driven manual on congested roads during my first 10 years of driving and I personally dont miss it that much. Manual gear shifting can become quite tedious and uncomfortable for daily driving in stop and go traffic after thirty minutes and I would like to see how many of the true manual lovers can endure that wear and tear on their left foot and still keep smiling. How come I hear no one miss carburator cars, leaf-springs, drum brakes and driving without seat belt. People would eventually have to change their way of life (that includes driving) with changing trends and technology. Just like in the era of IM's, twittering, facebooking how many would go to the post-office to mail a letter with postage stamps.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Manual gear shifting can become quite tedious and uncomfortable for daily driving in stop and go traffic after thirty minutes and I would like to see how many of the true manual lovers can endure that wear and tear on their left foot and still keep smiling
True but I don't intend to buy a turbo to sit in stop and go traffic. As a matter of fact, I avoid traffic at all times and ride my motorcycle to work

Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
True but I don't intend to buy a turbo to sit in stop and go traffic....
....your point is well taken. It is just that I am frustrated with these countless threads on PDK vs manual.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Manual trannies are good for one thing: FUN

If rev matching, powershifting, and rowing the gears is what makes you smile, or if you are a track guy who loves the rewarding experience of stick, then you should'nt have to justify it at all! It's about the fun and if you bought this car strictly for fun and for YOU then get what makes YOU happy.

I personally have to go PDK in the '10 because I take performance over fun. Theres a big performance gap between PDK and regular stick and it's enough for me to justify it. It is also a semi-daily driver and PDK in traffic is a no brainer compared to an hour playing with the clutch. Plus, I do find paddle shift to be fun enough that it's perfect for what I use it for.

I would maybe like to get a stick cayman or corvette maybe just to satisfy the side of me that likes manual here and there.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
....your point is well taken. It is just that I am frustrated with these countless threads on PDK vs manual.
I agree that there is quite a lot of talk about it. For some reason, I just get sucked into these discussions ??

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
For me rev matching perfectly does make me faster at track...while trying to learn at track I was bumbling around and disrupting balance of the car right before the turns and sometimes in the turns slowing me down...just slamming the brakes and downshifting from 4th to 2nd without worrying about disrupting balance of car would be more enjoyable and faster for me.

also Im sure heel/toe is pretty easy for most of the experienced guys but for me it wasnt all that much fun trying to learn this technique at the track when I had other things on my mind...you cant practice this well on the street as there arent too many places where you can just mash on your brakes.

Even with the flawed SMG in M3's I could tell it was much easier to drive at the limits...and trust me I could never shift as fast and smooth as I can with PDK...if you take out visceral feel and emotional attachment to "shifting", I dont see any advantages to manual myself...for me I just want convenience on the street and faster lap times on the track and nothing else matters....

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Agree.

Matching revs on downshifts does not make you faster. And is not hard to learn how to do.

This is a good point. Unless I intended to track heavily I would get the PDK. Honestly the PDK is IMO the only reason to get a 2010 over the previous year models.

Fantastic post! Drivers will always want manuals.

And lets not forget that manuals are advancing too. Racing sequentials are still closer to street manuals than PDK or DSG anyways. True sequential shifting manuals are not far away. No lift manual shifting is already present on some brands and will continue to evolve.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
To each his own. Let's stop beating this PDK vs manual tranny topic to death. The sad truth is that manual trannies are dying a slow death. I have always driven manual on congested roads during my first 10 years of driving and I personally dont miss it that much. Manual gear shifting can become quite tedious and uncomfortable for daily driving in stop and go traffic after thirty minutes and I would like to see how many of the true manual lovers can endure that wear and tear on their left foot and still keep smiling. How come I hear no one miss carburator cars, leaf-springs, drum brakes and driving without seat belt. People would eventually have to change their way of life (that includes driving) with changing trends and technology. Just like in the era of IM's, twittering, facebooking how many would go to the post-office to mail a letter with postage stamps.

ah well, perfectly said

Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
PDK is the future and it's music to my ears that Porsche is using new technology to make superior cars.

As long as they still offer manual cars (which they do on their whole 911/boxster/cayman lineup) then I don't see what the fuss is. You want something fun and love shifting, go manual. You want top dog performance and no clutch, go PDK. Simple. Porsche gives you the option, unlike Nissan where it's DSG only on the GT-R.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
PDK is the future and it's music to my ears that Porsche is using new technology to make superior cars.

As long as they still offer manual cars (which they do on their whole 911/boxster/cayman lineup) then I don't see what the fuss is. You want something fun and love shifting, go manual. You want top dog performance and no clutch, go PDK. Simple. Porsche gives you the option, unlike Nissan where it's DSG only on the GT-R.
Definitely. If both options continue to co-exist, they address the entire public. I just hope it remains that way. I could care less if SUV's are auto only though.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
fkaasik is a name known to allfkaasik is a name known to allfkaasik is a name known to allfkaasik is a name known to allfkaasik is a name known to allfkaasik is a name known to all
I have not had the pleasure to try the Porsches PDK tranny, but my bro has a E92 M3 with the DCT. In essence its the same thing. I myself have a 2003 6speed VW R32 with a short-shift. The double clutch on the M3 beats the manual in terms of speed, accuracy, my ability to match revs etc etc. It has exceeded my expectations in every aspect, but for some weird reason its the R32s 6speed that brings a smile on my face.....go figure

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
+1 for 6 speed turbo

Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
If I were to buy a new car I would get a PDK no question. I have a MT6 in my turbo, because I wasn't thrilled with the Tiptronic tranny. I have an Audi A3 DD with a DCT and I love it. I've driven manuals most of my driving life although I have also driven Powerglide, Dynaflo, Fordomatic, Hydramatic cars in the past. If you take the trouble to read the owners manual and do some experimenting and practice you should find the SMG and DCT transmissions to be every bit as involving and fun as a regular manual.

For track applications an F1, SMG or DCT type of transmission can't be beat. I've been told this by those who should know! Bill Auberlin and Hurley Haywood for example.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
scottfromnapa is infamous around these parts
I have a 997.1 Turbo with a manual box and love it, would not trade for a 997.2 with pdk if it was offered. I drove the pdk and was bored, stomp on gas and steer....um now what do I do?
To each his own, and get what makes you happy, but definately drive both before you decide.
I would happily lose to a 997.2 pdk on the track, but I would have a better time!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is everyone going PDK???